9 died in Oakland fire at a 100% Silk show

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby joe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:07 am

joe wrote:
joe wrote:Denver's oldest diy venue was just shut down.

Also all of this weekends events just took their addresses off of their fb event pages. One venue is great for safety (crazy sensitive smole detectors, multiple exits), one is less so (it's a basement with one exit).

Bolded one is shut down as of tonight :(

joe

Postby fox » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:42 am

found out today that a couple that is mutual friends with legion, carrion and myself were supposed to be at this event the night of the fire and they are like the loveliest people and I would have been completely crushed if they hadn't had a late work emergency that kept them away. they had a bunch of friends that they lost in this thing. heartbreaking.

fox
Prime Galoob

Postby PROBLEM ATTIC » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:00 am

joe wrote:
joe wrote:
joe wrote:Denver's oldest diy venue was just shut down.

Also all of this weekends events just took their addresses off of their fb event pages. One venue is great for safety (crazy sensitive smole detectors, multiple exits), one is less so (it's a basement with one exit).

Bolded one is shut down as of tonight :(

Were talking about Rhino right? Someone told me that the new safety codes were pretty reasonable and they could probably be back up in a few months

I think wolfie mentioned this is going to happen for a while at smaller diy venues
お願いします、それ以外は
And did you know how much I love you

PROBLEM ATTIC
clown is my friend

Postby joe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:12 am

Yea rhino was shut down, but the bolded one is a different venue that was shut down

A ridiculously up to code venue which makes this even crazier

joe

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:59 am

in a just world, instead of mass knee-jerk shutting down of places we'd see off the record/judgement free 'inspections' to help work with spaces to get to an acceptable safety level (whether that's up to code or a compromise). it's hard to interpret kicking people out into the cold with barely any notice as putting people's best interest at heart, regardless of how (relatively) unsafe they may staying where they are
Gnome Sane

Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby chowder julius » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:49 pm

brian chippendale wrote a good thing about fort thunder/diy spaces broadly https://thecreativeindependent.com/people/the-paradox-of-life-affirming-death-traps/

It has been said that fire inspectors had not gained access to the Ghost Ship building in a long time. In the ’90s—in a notoriously corrupt Providence—the feeling about fire marshals was that if your landlord was greasing the wheels then they never looked very hard at your space. One afternoon an inspector came through with our landlord; we had been warned, doors had been locked, beds stashed away, and all of us hidden. I was 12 feet up in my three-foot-high lofted sleeping space listening as they walked underneath through the tunnel covered in flammable detritus and sketchy electrical work. The fire marshal was talking about the sprinkler system, how it was bad that we had built our lofts below the sprinkler heads without putting another sprinkler head below the loft and how the sprinklers weren’t meant to save lives just property.

Still, we somehow passed the inspection and they never returned until late 2001 when the property was slated to be developed into a grocery store. When they came this final time the space was the same as it had been on their previous visit but suddenly they were incredibly detail oriented. I was painting with ink at a desk and I got chastised for not having an eyewash station.

A few years later in 2004, in my next studio, I was evicted by fire marshals from a small room with two exits to the street on the first floor of a cement building. I couldn’t have lit that building on fire if I tried. We had three days to get out and it was 13 degrees that frozen week of January. I couldn’t fathom how the 60 people who got evicted that week would fair better homeless in the heart of New England winter than in a heated building with some violations that could have been worked toward bettering. That particular landlord had a bad relationship with the city. The thought that always popped up when I was lectured by fire marshals about the hazardous nature of my space was that these spaces felt so much safer than all the cramped old apartments and houses I had lived in over the years—dangerous old attic or basement apartments with ancient knob and tube electricity and skinny dark staircases.

Once you get the idea in your head that fire inspectors are just another political tool it’s hard to trust their motives. But I do recall one inspector saying to me during an inspection, “You may think this is all cool but we’re the ones who have to pull the bodies out after a fire.”

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby Kevin McCallister » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:41 am

That was a great article, thanks Chowder.

Kevin McCallister

Postby delgriffith » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:59 am

delgriffith

Postby Bad Craziness » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:19 pm

fucking hell I went to school with Max and we hung out a couple times and collaborated on a few events it’s been so surreal

gonna need to prepare before reading

Bad Craziness

Postby delgriffith » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Ah man, yeah it's a lot even for a total stranger to read. It's a very well written/reported/thoughtful story, I think. Just impossibly sad.

delgriffith

Postby alaska » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 pm

god
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby alaska » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:58 pm

tremendous article. this is all fucking me up all over again

given a just slightly different world i or almost anyone i know could've been there and someone i knew was

it's all banal and it's all been said and so many were so so so much more affected than it by me but it's just such a sad thing in such a sad world
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby fresco painter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 pm

goddamn :(

fresco painter
Comptroller

Postby joe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:08 pm

joe

Postby wuk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Ugh why did I read that today

wuk

Postby transitive » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Brutal read.

Almena is clearly fucking nuts. Also the fact that they didn't go after the landlord is just bonkers.

transitive

Postby deadbass » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:55 pm

that was heartrending.

deadbass

Postby ashtrayheart » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:21 pm

transitive wrote:Brutal read.

Almena is clearly fucking nuts. Also the fact that they didn't go after the landlord is just bonkers.

it doesnt make any fucking sense, unless youre properly cynical and realize they went after those who are exactly vulnerable enough that they couldnt possibly defend themselves. awful, unbearable shit

ashtrayheart

Postby creamline bling » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:53 am

Max was always a gentle soul in the few moments I interacted with him. Dreadful situation.
Last edited by creamline bling on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

creamline bling

Postby creamline bling » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:10 am

The Oakland city attorney’s office signed a $90,000 contract with a San Francisco public-relations firm “for the purpose of managing and minimizing the City of Oakland’s potential exposure to liability for claims and litigation that may arise out of the Incident,” the contract read. The firm’s duties included conducting “scrimmages as needed for the City Attorney and its clients” — that is, coaching Oakland officials how to deflect blame away from themselves.

It doesn't help Harris, nor the decedents, really, but I hope the civil case finds for massive damages to the city, PG&E, and the landlords. Hell, maybe even some of those damages could go towards a fund to pay for sprinklers and electrical upgrades in existing warehouses.

I understand the cultural rejection of burning man; the irony is that the warehouse communities I've been to that have residents who are members of DPW @ burning man are fun but still often fire safe - hundreds of fire safety experts and volunteered are pulled together every year for that event.
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

creamline bling

Postby creamline bling » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:18 am

It's taken me some time to process but I suppose now is as good a time as any to write a short piece.

I met Micah Danemeyer when I hired him to be a porter for the coffee shop I managed in Jack London sometime around 2014.

Chill guy, never complained, definitely loved to spaz out and make his co-workers laugh. We had a ritual of every shift we would step out and share an American Spirit and talk about techno. He did great work for about a year and had always talked about wanted to learn more about cooking from commissary cooks - we got him another gig doing that. He had just started that new position a few months before the fire.

The homebrew A/V art world is pretty small, and Kevin McAllister helped connect me with some folks who knew him (thanks so much for doing that Kevin).

RIP duder.

creamline bling

Postby rixx » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:31 pm

rixx

Postby Bad Craziness » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:56 pm

I’m glad that Max was acquitted

but it’s really hard to feel happy about anything related to this

Bad Craziness

Postby Bad Craziness » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Max and I are fb friends and I am happy to say he seems to be doing well

Bad Craziness

Postby zamboni » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:44 am

think about my friend feral every day

glad things are working out for that poor railroaded dude

zamboni

Postby Catullus » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:11 am

Had not read that comic before.

Got me fucked the fuck up and trying not to cry in my classroom at 8am

Catullus
Our McGonagall

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:31 pm

my feed has been so inundated with spotify wrapped lists that I almost didn't realize that today is the 4th anniversary of the ghost ship fire (the irony is not lost on me)

a terrible, terrible tragedy that we Must Not Forget

my thoughts are with the families and friends of those who died <3
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby shark week » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:37 pm

i still listen to Far Away So Close all the time except now it makes me cry
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:19 pm

Max has a website with his art and music, if anyone's interested

https://www.maxthemoon.com/

might commission something for a solstice gift

Bad Craziness

Previous

Return to Aguachile Alley