Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby lightfoot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:12 am

this movie

it's funny!!
lightfoot

Postby Mesh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:16 am

I think this had a picture of the Scarecrow in it.
Everybody's got a ticket to ride 'cept for me and my lightning.
Mesh

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 am

landspeedrecord wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I found the inability of the family to connect with one another in hereditary (and the subsequent ruptures) to be very affecting

i think this is true but also to compare that dynamic to midsommar seems unfair. Its hard to re-establish something like that when you're also trying to layout a non-traditional social structure and immediately contradict/complicate it at the same time.

i totally agree though that there was kind of a struggle to find an empathetic character or one empathetic enough to become an entry point. and i feel like death in the family is totally my entry point these days ! in the end what kept me interested was the lore and the aesthetics. the narrative was definitely at the service of atmosphere and the atmosphere was there to delay our grasp of the social dynamics, even though all the predictable action took place (brown people die, most annoying/horny white guy gets seduced to his death, couple about to break up does so in a hyper ritualistic way.)Toggle Spoiler

I actually wish they had played into the Recent OrphanToggle Spoiler card a little bit more so I could enjoy Pelle's manipulation and creepy smile more.
I know what you did last summer, but i just don't give a shit
galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 am

walt whitman wrote:
spix et chicho wrote:it is 100% dressed up conventional horror movie, replete with flimsy stock characters and moral comeuppance. the shitty boyfriend thing is so half-assed. who even are these people, who cares what happens to them?

gotta disagree with this.

the early scenes with dani and bf were razor sharp, capturing their relationship's slow-motion decline with micro-moments of emotional disconnect, awkward silence, resentment, willful blindness to another's feelings (and one's own).

even with "flimsy stock characters and moral comeuppance," horror captures the nuances of emotional experience better than most serious movies, i think

razor sharp in this case read to me as too calculated. it left me with a kind of a show me don't tell me feeling—now that im thinking about it, I think the script was a bit weak. Didn't stop me from enjoying or being invested (though i also thought it dragged :/ and i do normally believe in embracing the endurance aspect of certain films)
galactagogue

Postby gucci man » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 am

lightfoot wrote:this movie

it's funny!!

I lol'd 3-4 times during the film. no one else in the theatre did.
girl i can't remember nothing but my last post.
gucci man

Postby jack » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:22 am

my theater was hooting and hollering for the ass pushing
jack

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:14 pm

i think the laughing is a testament to how outside of it you feel as an audience. i didn't really identify with anyone in the drugged deflowering scene, so it was mostly the scenario i was witnessing rather than any particular subjective experience. especially when no aspect of it is particularly relatable. but idk maybe a dude would more readily identify with the human "stud" in the scene? idk idk
galactagogue

Postby deadbass » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm

pulsating flowers
deadbass

Postby spix et chicho » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:07 pm

the ass pushing and Mark going “Oh fuck” were my only real laughs. And of course the children are watching Austin Powers
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby deadbass » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:13 pm

I laughed pretty hard at Pelle's bad drawing of Dani.
deadbass

Postby deadbass » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:14 pm

deadbass

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:30 pm

spix et chicho wrote:the ass pushing and Mark going “Oh fuck” were my only real laughs. And of course the children are watching Austin Powers

yeah i definitely laughed at the austin powers part and wished they hadn't used subtitles so you would doubt whether or not you just heard her say Austin Powers in plain english
galactagogue

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:36 pm

I laughed pretty hard when Mark freaks out about a new person showing up when they're tripping under the tree.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby high bias » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:54 pm

i agree that this totally felt like a dressed up conventional horror movie. all the characters felt flat, and it didn't really say anything interesting about bad relationships/breakups

the pacing felt off too. the cliff scene happens too soon, imo, with minimal build up, and then the movie is pretty one note from then on

first act was probably the best part of the movie
high bias

Postby galactagogue » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:03 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:I laughed pretty hard when Mark freaks out about a new person showing up when they're tripping under the tree.

ahahah yes i forgot about this too. ok this was my no 1 laugh moment in a movie i wasn't expecting to be funny at all.
galactagogue

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 pm

movie made me want to trip again :oops:
walt whitman

Postby spix et chicho » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 pm

movie made me glad I haven't tripped since my bad trip in 2011
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby mellowgold » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:46 am

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby blurst of times » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am

lol

i would watch the ari aster expanded cheesecake factory cinematic universe
blurst of times
ride.

Postby mancubz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm

No one who’s ever dated men would call these “stock characters”
I loved this movie but think of it less as horror than something I dream of.
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby mancubz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Lol I was just talking to this friend of mine about the movie and he was like, “this movie is what you dream of isn’t it”
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby mancubz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Lol another guy independently just asked what I thought and then interrupted himself to be like, “wait it was inspirational to you right?”

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby galactagogue » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:31 am

gotta say the lasting effects of what i wanted this movie to be vs what it wound up being are dulling over time. it kind of left me with a want for a truly unsettling daylight cult horror movie that cares a bit less about aesthetics.
galactagogue

Postby average deceiver » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 pm

mancubz, I picture you swaying gently as you exit the theater humming the theme song to Cheers
andrei wrote:slaw on the sandwich? you ruined my manwich
slaw on the side....... let it ride

average deceiver

Postby mancubz » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:29 pm

idk the theme song to cheers!

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby blurst of times » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:47 pm

mancubz wrote:I loved this movie but think of it less as horror than something I dream of.

yeah this is accurate

the last scene/shot especially with the bear suit and the burning barnToggle Spoiler felt like a dream sequence
blurst of times
ride.

Postby walt whitman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:56 pm

by the end the prologue felt more like a dream, to me
walt whitman

Postby alaska » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:57 pm

said this before but the prologue truly had the grammar and structure of an anxiety meltdown ideation to me, to the point that it was uncannily horrifying watching it on screen. definitely nightmarish in the literal sense
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby Franco » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:59 pm

I would have liked it if laugh lines and comedic framing were reserved for only the dipshit behavior of the friends. I really didn’t like how riotous the audience got during the sex scene, but I don’t blame them bc it was staged for laughs.

It’s probably just me but I was locked into this zone of solemnity and appreciating the culmination of hours of tension and dread not in the mood to have a goof around
Franco

Postby scrambled » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:24 pm

same franco and i was really down to like tap into a cult and their norms and stuff but then to have most of the norms played for laughs took me out
scrambled

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....