Succession (HBO)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Cone » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 pm

The people who think this glamorizes the wealthy are probably the same people that thought Walter White was a protagonist hero

Cone

Postby pzadvance » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 pm

Cone wrote:The people who think this glamorizes the wealthy are probably the same people that thought Walter White was a protagonist hero

You mean the people who wrote the breaking bad finale?

8-)

pzadvance

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:39 am

Cone wrote:The people who think this glamorizes the wealthy are probably the same people that thought Walter White was a protagonist hero

and ditto with The Wolf of Wall Street

and the ones who think Phantom Thread is another movie about a young woman who falls for, and learns to live with, the Difficult Brilliant Artist Man

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby sleigh » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:43 am

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

and ditto with The Wolf of Wall Street

and the ones who think Phantom Thread is another movie about a young woman who falls for, and learns to live with, the Difficult Brilliant Artist Man

not to be all south park "the truth is in the middle" but i've seen both criticisms, that this show is insufficientlly critical of the ultra-wealthy and boorishly unsubtle in its depiction of evil/bad behavior

and im over here following @nocontextroyco like fuckin goldilocks. yum yum b*tch! just right!
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 am

i also wanna shout out something that i really appreciate even if i can't find a great way to phrase it.... "spinny spinny chicken dinny" being a great example, i love how british the writing sensibility vs how extremely american the actors are, it feels like getting that whole school of comedy all over again in a completely fresh way. i know veep kind of does this, but i think because veep was so slapstick and low-stakes and this is much more grounded, it feels like a completely different thing.
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby nautical hyperblast » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:50 am

hot take: it's just a ding dang television show.

nautical hyperblast

Postby pissydan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:51 am

cant they just have a nice dinner once in a while?
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby coma kid » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:02 am

they had one nice dinner on the show

ImageToggle Spoiler

coma kid

Postby Feech La Manna » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:02 am

I mean, it's the same as the "can you truly make an anti-war movie that has war in it" argument in that it's impossible to make a show that centers on the lives of the rich without glamorizing it at least a little, and it's also impossible to make a show like this without creating moments where you empathize with these awful people. But the show overall holds the family, its business, and the position it holds in society with enough contempt for me to be satisfied.

And part of what makes it enjoyable too, which was really obvious in the last episode, is that it understands the taxonomies of the ultra-rich, and how they're all uniquely horrible in their own way.
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby sleigh » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:33 am

thing i mentioned to a friend the other day -- both of kendall's ploys for ownership should have worked on the merits barring unforeseen complications (not being able to get to the shareholder meeting on time, manslaughter), same goes for his successful selling of naomi on acquiescing to the acquisition. he could not have possibly planned that out, it just fell in his lap

doubt it's intentional, i think it's just a vestige of how you create good drama around his character, but it's still a pattern
sleigh
ok

Postby odilon redon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:41 am

shiv's arc is going to be that she goes full logan demon baby-eater by the end right. aka the michael corleone

odilon redon

Postby Cone » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:12 am

bluemovers wrote:they had one nice dinner on the show

ImageToggle Spoiler

Image is broken but I really hope this was Tom and Greg with their heads under the napkins.

Cone

Postby groupb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:49 pm

jarsilver wrote:god j. smith-cameron is so good. is gerri secretly the hero of this show?

she's so good. revisited Margaret recently not remembering both her and Kieran Culkin are in it

groupb

Postby shame dawg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:20 pm

Macfadyen's facial expressions are so so good and full of range. I've become a big fan of his acting after not knowing a single thing about him before the show.
This Guy wrote:There needs to be more RPGs

shame dawg

Postby coma kid » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Cone wrote:
bluemovers wrote:they had one nice dinner on the show

Image is broken but I really hope this was Tom and Greg with their heads under the napkins.

oh it most certainly is

coma kid

Postby tgk » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:31 pm

What What now? - Ortolan.
- What's ortolan? It is a deep-fried songbird.
You eat it whole.
- Oh, my God - This is a rare privilege.
And it's also kind of illegal.
- Oh, I have a - For the head.
The exact purpose is debated.
Some say it's to mask the shame; others, to heighten the pleasure.
(CRUNCHING) Oh, my God.
That is so good.
Did you eat it yet, Greg? - Not yet, no.
- Eat it, Greg! (CRUNCHING) (GREG MUMBLES) Um, it's a rather unique flavor.
Yeah, it's the gamy, brainy hit, my friend.
Oh.
Can we have some more wine, please? You trying to seduce me, Tom? Yes, I am! Yes, I am, Greg.
All the things we've seen, all the things we've done we're in this together, man.
OK.
Is that Is that what this is, this is about the thing? We have a bond.
- You do? - Yeah, sure.
I was an outsider once.
Young guy from St.
Paul, alone in the big city, and it was hard.
And you create this kind of protective shell, but underneath, we're all just little nudie turtles.
OK.
I gotta level with you, because if I eat any more songbirds, I'm gonna hurl.

tgk

Postby shame dawg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:49 pm

so good
This Guy wrote:There needs to be more RPGs

shame dawg

Postby Merciel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:50 am

I think we're all caught up now.

The Pierces cracked me up. The star watching, the Brookings Institute guy, the proud carrying of the food that somebody else prepared. I felt like I was at Thanksgiving. I wish we'd gotten more of whichever cousin it was that googled Roman's fake book right in front of him, I loved her immediately.

The casting on this show is phenomenal too. Brookings Institute guy and the various dork cousins were so perfectly embodied.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:56 am

I knew Brookings guy looked familiar but somehow even after The Leftovers I didn’t place that he was Cousin Larry until later

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby beefbroth inthe shitpipes » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:36 am

I think its hilarious that people compare this to Billions.
Best show on tv.

beefbroth inthe shitpipes

Postby Merciel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:47 am

Marcia at the dinner was A+, I wonder what her deal is right now. I mean, it totally makes sense that anybody with half a brain and two vertebrae's worth of spine would bristle at living with Logan, but... presumably she knew what that would be like before she married him, so yeah.

Also I would like to take a minute to express my appreciation for Connor delivering Willa's speech at the funeral. This whole time I've been wondering whether Willa was supposed to be any good as a playwright or just as dopey as Connor, and I guess now we know, in the best possible way the show could possibly have made that reveal.

I do kind of wish Willa had been allowed to have some talent, but... well, I can't complain about getting that scene instead.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby kirito » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:07 am

they did eat ortolan on billions too
They say more money more problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the problems. Bring on the muhfuckin problems.

kirito

Postby tgk » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:12 am

I think willas speech was written to keep Connor from torpedoing his campaign by saying nice things/making too personal a connection about the well known child molester so it only spoke in the broadest least controversial terms.

tgk

Postby tgk » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 am

Between mo and the wolf pack, roman in the dog cage, and Logan's back scars it's clear there are some dark dark things in all these peoples childhoods that they're just starting to get into

tgk

Postby Merciel » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:19 am

Well sure, the impetus behind Willa's rewrite was obviously to prevent Connor from further embarrassing himself by trying to use a funeral as a campaign fundraiser.

But her speech was still so hilariously terrible that, yeah, okay, she's an idiot too.

"Now she is sad."

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby tgk » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 am

God that speech was so good

"All of us will die one day. In this case it is Lester who has done so. Lester was alive for 78 years but no more. Now he is dead.”

tgk

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:08 pm

MySpace of STDS oh my god

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:32 pm

“Paper copy, now!” lol

Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Marx & Engels » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:59 pm