The Favourite (NEW LANTHIMOS)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:49 pm

my what
you are only coming through in waves
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby neely o'hara » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:18 am

great. the dance scenes, holy shit.

nicholas hoult was my favorite. eventually i would laugh every time it cut to a close-up of him. there's some scene where he just says "hello!" and i cracked up.

agree that the straightforward plotting was the mots disappointing, although i expected rachel weisz to die from the combination poisoning/horse dragging. the ending was ok but felt kind of film school-y.Toggle Spoiler

i wonder if they dug up some of kubrick's barry lyndon lenses for the candlelight-heavy scenes

neely o'hara

Postby sleigh » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:36 am

Fucking loved this when it was a comedy. Felt it really lost steam once it committed to the central conflict in a less tongue in cheek way.
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby sleigh » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:41 am

*is it* a devastating love story? I wouldn’t say i ever felt there was real love between the two, and that probably explains a lot of how deflated I felt by the end
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
sleigh
ok

Postby furrowed brow » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:33 am

i'm interested in this. KoaSD's story never really hooked me but the cinematography, music and acting still probably make it a 6.5-7 out of 10.

As far as the question of better contemporary directors, I like Todd Haynes.
furrowed brow

Postby mellowgold » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 am

death is my amigo wrote:*is it* a devastating love story? I wouldn’t say i ever felt there was real love between the two, and that probably explains a lot of how deflated I felt by the end

it's not a love story at all
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby sleigh » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:14 pm

I agree, I was referring to lsr’s post from last page that I didn’t quote.
sleigh
ok

Postby carlagain » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:15 pm

i don't know, it felt like the connection between her original favorite was meant to be read as more genuine or honest. like i felt there was a certain realness to their (sexual) reconciliation after the queen became aware she manipulating her, like her manipulations were an acknowledged part of their relationship and there was a kind of recompense. i thought it was well done in the way that the abject sadness of (sorry im not going to recall the characters names) the second relationship made the first one seem better by contrast, though im definitely sympathetic to a reading that its all similarly empty and manipulative. the first favorites' line about having a thing for weak things (and a few other things) made it seem to me that she had genuine affection for the queen, and i don't see that at all in the other character. the queen realizing that she would tell her whatever she wanted to hear, referring to the rabbits as her children, was good i thought. i think the success of the movie as a tragedy is sort of predicated on this dramatic irony that the queen has cast away the person who actually cares about her in favor of something that is represented in the final shot as just horrifying. but again you could argue that it was all horrifying. anyways, i didn't like the movie too much. it's funny to me that we're at a point where directors (and netflix creators) actually have too much creative freedom and wield "auteurship" irresponsibly, I'm actually nostalgic for a time when directors had to struggle and covertly convey their real artistic motives lol. i'm referring i guess in this case to frivolous fish eye shots, dissolves - and a lack of an interesting visual identity for the film in general. and i have a problem with the cross cutting too (but that issue is larger than the auteur). the movie was just too direct/kind of boring... but more successful in the end than i thought it was going to be soToggle Spoiler

carlagain

Postby carlagain » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:22 pm

comedic tragedy is really good though i like this more and more. just wish i liked watching it more

carlagain

Postby shacky » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:42 pm

think im gonna scam my family into making this our annual 'xmas @ the movies' movie

shacky

Postby evan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:25 am

This is my favorite of the year I think. Also, the best Lanthimos movie so far, too. Completely immersive and consistently hilarious.

evan

Postby Viola Swamp » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:38 am

Yeah this was his best by a nice margin

Still didnt love it but had a great time, Stone and Holt were really really good

To be fair I saw Roma Shirkers and Shoplifters this week so it had a lot to stack up to on the 2018 scale

Viola Swamp

Postby Barthes Starr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:26 am

the Succession reference is spot on, somehow that didn't dawn on me despite loving that show and (mostly) loving this movie

the absurdist baroque sets/costumes through a fish eye lens made it feel like an insanely high budget 90s music video

Barthes Starr

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:03 pm

this was mostly great. the last act (~20 minutes) felt a little aimless and anticlimactic although that final final scene was beautiful.

coleman and weisz and stone were all tremendous, in that order.

Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby WAC » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:11 pm

This was very good, though I do agree with the "lost a bit of steam toward the end" crowd.

WAC

Postby Melville » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:17 pm

This looks great. But I'm disappointed to hear that it doesn't feature Lanthimos' patented deadpan dialogue. I love that stuff. He's definitely one of my current favorite directors. Though I can only think of PTA and the Dardennes as other contenders. Interested to hear why Sofia Coppola is up there for people in this thread.

Melville

Postby hyperbole man » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 pm

idk the deadpan affect/delivery that is so characteristic of how he directs actors is very much intact, though it reads a little differently in a period setting
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby hyperbole man » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 pm

anyway i loved this

first yorgos i've really enjoyed!
hyperbole man
post/username

Postby mellowgold » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:55 am

Melville wrote:Interested to hear why Sofia Coppola is up there for people in this thread.

i mean have u not seen a motion picture directed by Sofia Coppola?
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold

Postby abs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:18 pm

crosspost from another thread -- Really really enjoyed this. What an absurd movie.

Distracted/delighted by Barry lyndon theme (Handel’s Sarabande) throughout.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

abs
Queen Witch

Postby Melville » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:52 pm

mellowgold wrote:
Melville wrote:Interested to hear why Sofia Coppola is up there for people in this thread.

i mean have u not seen a motion picture directed by Sofia Coppola?

Sure, all of them except Somewhere. I'm just interested in what specifically makes you and shacky rank her work so highly. The Beguiled and Marie Antoinette were both great and had plenty of interesting things about them, but I thought the Bling Ring was almost unwatchable. And I do still love Lost in Translation (despite some mixed feelings about its attitude toward its secondary characters), but it's 15 years old now.

Melville

Postby mellowgold » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:42 pm

it's been five years or so since i rewatched Lost in Translation but Marie Antoinette is near-perfect and miiiight be her best movie. i'd have to rewatch LiT again i think.

i think there's a tenderness and such a specific quality/sensibility she brings to her movies (like that one flashback scene in Her when joaquin phoenix is thinking about his exwife rooney mara is sooo Spike Jonez trying to do Sofia Coppola but he can't get there). but yeah i did not like Bling Ring either. I rewatched Somewhere earlier this year and liked it a lotttt more now. The Beguiled is great.

mellowgold

Postby shacky » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:03 am

it's been a while but i gravitate towards her mostly for the moods she creates and because of how personal/confessional her films feel. the same reasons she's hated, i guess.

i think there's still this unfair sentiment of, "oh poor rich white girl who fucked up the godfather iii has to rely on daddy to finance her angsty journal entry cinema where she complains about ennui and how boring and sad it is to be a rich white girl". like i think that's what pisses people off about LiT, which is mb the epitome of this, more than bill murray doing a few iffy adlibs. but like all her movies are self-aware and acknowledge and are about this seeming contradiction, it's a complicated and interesting tension and her willingness to explore it is part of what makes her fascinating and sympathetic and not just a brat. i reatched LiT recently and it really messed me up emotionally, i think it's powerful, it resonates every time i watch it, no matter how hesitant or cynical i feel going into it, and always in different ways.

im glad she's moving further and further away from traditional narratives. somewhere is her best film even if it's nobody's favourite. that slow zoom on the plaster mould fuuuuuu

the beguiled probly did have, like, a story, but for me it's just a painting, in the best sense. the light and composition are mesmerising. it's obvious but she really is on some barry lyndon shit there.

marie antoinette is prob my fave, kinda slots into a lineage w barry lyndon too wrt fucking w period piece as a genre, like, amadeus ran with kubrick's idea and then this turns it up to 11 inc the GOAT use of a soundtrack. plainsong alone gets her a lifetime pass.

i need to rewatch the others but p sure they also shred

sorry 4 long post, u asked

shacky

Postby mellowgold » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:38 am

good post shacky!

if nothing else i hope people revisit marie antoinette, which is on netflix!

mellowgold

Postby easy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 am

and BLU RAY

easy
does it

Postby brent » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am

the only sofia movies i've seen are the virgin suicides and lost in translation :o
i liked both a lot too...guess i should probably remedy this

brent

Postby mellowgold » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 am

id be extremely happy if this thread turns into a favy AND a marie antoinette discussion lol

mellowgold

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 am

i liked the more wild poppy stuff in Marie Antoinette like with the cool music and the sneakers and stuff and i actually kinda wish it leaned more into that vibe? like i saw it for the first time this year and i guess all the complaints about that stuff had me expecting a different movie maybe
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby shacky » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:59 pm

but then you'd end up with like a baz luhrman movie or some shit like that

shacky

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:27 pm

well not THAT far lol

though i do like baz's first couple movies :oops:
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.

Rainbow Battle Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley