becoming a buddhist

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:10 am

you gotta become one of those monks that can fight like in virtua fighter
If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Bartatua » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:16 am

if already a virtua fighter?
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:16 am

I think buddhists have it right
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am

Bartatua wrote:if already a virtua fighter?

consult your local dojo for more information
If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby shark week » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:21 am

i have a very strong aversion to converts but i was so jealous of a college friend when she told me she was raised buddhist
Permafrost wrote:The heart wants what the heart wants, and if the heart wants Nebbiolo variants then so be it

shark week

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:25 am

I hate when you hear about some high up buddhist (or hinduism) person and then you google and it's a white person

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby important dentist » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 am

aren't quakers basically the white version of buddhists
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."

important dentist

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:30 am

Jesus: "The father and I are one"

Namaste

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby bigcat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:31 am

can u plz retitle this waking up and becoming a buddhist

bigcat

Postby fresco painter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:33 am

I got converted to pseudo-zen buddhism after a mushroom trip once lol

fresco painter
Comptroller

Postby Jimmy Firecracker » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:33 am

if you want to become a buddhist, you've already failed :ugeek:

Jimmy Firecracker

Postby NegativeCapability » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:38 am

Being a buddhist would drive me insane.
Stabbing me 11 times only pissed me off.

NegativeCapability

Location: I'm a nobody. You understand? And you can't kill a person with no body.

Postby fresco painter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am

Desire sort of is suffering I guess

fresco painter
Comptroller

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 am

Stoic buddhist

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby CatGyal (Tu Babysitter) » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:03 pm

My mental health nurse actually recommended me trying to be a buddhist although he's one of those yoga/bike-rides/meditation guys.

Tbf he has his shit together so I might ask him for buddhist temples to go to. I tried catholicism again recently and it sucked ass. I just need an organised religion to give me purpose. I'm jelly on my on
spoiler toggled 8-)Toggle Spoiler

CatGyal (Tu Babysitter)

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:04 pm

thinking about becoming a zoroastrian

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby FourLegsGood » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:10 am

Bump.

I'm thinking about going to the local buddhist temple next weekend. Is there a strand of buddhism that takes the words of the Buddha to be allegorical and doesn't have hard belief in the metaphysical or is doing that missing the point? I just can't believe in physical deities/Bodhisattvas but feel like I can learn from the stories and teachings.

FourLegsGood

Postby Grendel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:24 am

Go for it.
Paul Mooney wrote:When I see homeless white person I start crying. (cries) What a waste of white skin.

Grendel

Postby delgriffith » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:35 am

My girlfriend was raised Buddhist (Jodo Shinshu), so when we're in LA each summer I go to their temple's obon and dance and it rules. Very good vibes.

delgriffith

Postby Grendel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:22 am

chad wrote:becoming a....stoic? still brainstorming

IMO a really good book about this kind of philosophy-as-lifestyle thing or however you want to say it is Martha Nussbaum's "Therapy of Desire" https://press.princeton.edu/titles/30121.html She goes over the various Hellenistic schools with a focus on how the adherents would apply the teachings to their day-to-day lives.
Paul Mooney wrote:When I see homeless white person I start crying. (cries) What a waste of white skin.

Grendel

Postby Bartatua » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:38 am

great news

I'm buddha
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby fresco painter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:55 am

fresco painter
Comptroller

Postby tiger » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:30 am

i don't know if it's possible to live in the u.s. with its deeply engrained system of levels and constant evaluation without breaking some of the precepts of "full" buddhism, but trying to be friends with your enemy is nice, and so are chants, which were the startling elevation to my practice that i'd been seeking for quite some time. with mouth closed it becomes a song for your own body (you can feel the reverb all the way down your spine!). i don't want to post anything specific but i like the simple seed syllables. it really is better than drugs.

tiger

Postby Pokemon Blue » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:50 pm

buddhism is chill (except for those buddhists who massacre the rohingya - not cool guys)

Pokemon Blue

Postby high bias » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:59 pm

this books sounds cheesy but is a good, quick read on applying secular stoicism in your daily life

high bias

Postby medicore bob dole gimmick » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:30 pm

i am still rejecting all belief systems and it is not the path to eternal happiness but eh oh well

medicore bob dole gimmick

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:35 pm

high bias wrote:

this books sounds cheesy but is a good, quick read on applying secular stoicism in your daily life

this book is very good aside from the random part railing against political correctness
evil olive wrote:Holy shit this is the most Ted Pikul post ever. Just replace your signature now.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby FourLegsGood » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:24 pm

In looking at different places to visit in my area, I've encountered two practicing Soka Gakkai and the New Kadampa Tradition. It's my understanding that both of these aren't traditional buddhism and border on cult activity? To someone uninitiated, how can I be certain that what I'm involving myself in is traditional Tibetan buddhism?

FourLegsGood

Postby Kenny » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:29 pm

I think traditional TIbetan buddhism is like being a monk. I would just go to a mahayana place. You don't have to go all in on believing in bodhisattvas, just meditate and be around people who are meditating

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Kenny » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:35 pm

Some books on Buddhism I've really enjoyed are:

and this is about daoism but it's so personable and fun and interesting:

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Next

Return to Aguachile Alley