Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby tarantula » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:18 am

david berman of silver jews has a new recording project w/ a drag city release early 2019

rumor has it that he'd been recording w/ dan bejar of destroyer and malkmus in vancouver, b.c.

and he's spent the past 15 years mastering the guitar

https://soundcloud.com/3songspod/episode-79-december-12-2018

nastanovich talks about it around 19:45 in the above link
tarantula

Postby internethandle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:11 am

only sri harold klemp has mastered the guitar so
internethandle
ok

Postby pink snake » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:36 am

looking forward to new silver joos stuff.
pink snake

Postby tarantula » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:12 am

was able to track down some more obscure entries in berman's catalog

http://www.stephenmalkmus.com/punbb/upload/viewtopic.php?id=1174
tarantula

Postby tarantula » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:13 am

tarantula

Postby warmjets » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:52 am

I am hopeful
warmjets

Postby tarantula » Sat May 18, 2019 3:18 am

can't believe you guys are completely disregarding this thread

the song's great. like trains across the sea collided with modern english's "i'll stop the world"

berman's passive aggression is masterful. forcing nerds to go to the record store and repair their phonographs in order to hear the new single is an incredible power move.
tarantula

Postby tarantula » Sat May 18, 2019 4:31 am

just occurred to me that db's plaintive humming over diseased chords before the song kicks in is akin to cobain being wheeled out on stage in a wheelchair before a scorching set at the redding festival
tarantula

Postby Eyeball Kid » Sat May 18, 2019 7:41 am

I somehow missed Berman had a new project and just assumed that Silver Jews lyric thread being on the front page meant people still wanted to talk about "in 1984 i was hospitalized for approaching perfection".

This new song is really good!
Eyeball Kid

Postby super gas » Wed May 29, 2019 1:04 am

super gas

Postby Hugh » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Hugh

Postby alaska » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:03 pm

man
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby virile » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:06 pm

shenandoah river
virile

Postby black drum » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 pm

tarantula wrote:can't believe you guys are completely disregarding this thread

the song's great. like trains across the sea collided with modern english's "i'll stop the world"

berman's passive aggression is masterful. forcing nerds to go to the record store and repair their phonographs in order to hear the new single is an incredible power move.

Did you write the Washington Post article?

Then it’s on to “All My Happiness Is Gone,” which surprisingly sounds like the Silver Jews’ take on Modern English’s “I Melt With You.” But in terms of where it lands emotionally, the song couldn’t be further from the new-wave classic; whereas Modern English depicted lovers literally stopping time to liquefy into each other, Berman’s song addresses a relationship in ruins.

I don't really feel the Modern English sound coming through, personally.
black drum
Maritime Lawyer

Postby neuartillery » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Bummer that he and Cassie split but I had a feeling that was the case.
neuartillery

Postby brian dennehy fan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:15 pm

somehow missed all of this until now holy shit
brian dennehy fan

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:16 pm

good article, but that tweet is stupid.

dude seems not in a great way
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby internethandle » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:24 pm

yeah that is... bleak

i had forgotten about his dad
internethandle
ok

Postby endless dave » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:30 pm

so I was writing an article about WTJU last year and trying to connect with people from Pavement and Bob Nastanovich gave me Berman's email and said I could try but he doesn't know if he'll respond. I did and he did, fairly quickly. we shot the shit about college radio and his experiences back then over email for a week or so and it was so sparsely elegant and moving that it was like listening to his song

only later did I learn that it was only his second published interview in nearly 10 years

https://noncommusic.org/stories/wtjus-diy-spirit-inspired-some-of-indie-rocks-greatest-bands/
endless dave

Postby endless dave » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:32 pm

look at these amazing "couplets" from his emails (let in their original formatting):

endless dave

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:39 am

Ultimately, in trying to kill his own career, Berman was fleeing from a shadow that had shaped his adult life — the artist son rebuking a succeed-at-all costs father. The only son who found ways to sabotage whatever success might come his way. The 52-year-old son still smarting from the wounds of his parents’ decades-ago divorce, who has renounced any inheritance from his father.

this hits way too close to home
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby naturemorte » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 am

didn't realize that berman was in chicago now. pretty sure i saw him snap at some 20 year old lady for taking his seat at this weird private hippy stag film screening i went to a couple weeks back. it really fucked up a very precarious vibe in there
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro
naturemorte

Postby carlagain » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:56 am

I was a handwriting talent in list mode, and a pretty funny marginalian.
carlagain

Postby Hugh » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:01 am

Kind of amazed he is touring again after reading that WaPo feature.
Hugh

Postby klubrick » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:05 am

endless dave wrote:so I was writing an article about WTJU last year and trying to connect with people from Pavement and Bob Nastanovich gave me Berman's email and said I could try but he doesn't know if he'll respond. I did and he did, fairly quickly. we shot the shit about college radio and his experiences back then over email for a week or so and it was so sparsely elegant and moving that it was like listening to his song

only later did I learn that it was only his second published interview in nearly 10 years

https://noncommusic.org/stories/wtjus-diy-spirit-inspired-some-of-indie-rocks-greatest-bands/

whoa :shock:
klubrick

Postby Mr. Towel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 am

his split with cassie is a big bummer. also, the fact that she's in the random rules video and he looks at her while singing the 'we used to share a bed' line and oh god :( i hope he's ok

edit: the new song is great
Mr. Towel

Postby black drum » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:19 pm

Just listening to this a bunch more and I really feel like this song is a suicide note.
black drum
Maritime Lawyer

Postby Grey Poupon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:39 pm

watching the video I guess I've never really noticed how much he looks like he could be malkmus' brother
both in features and facial mannerisms
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby tarantula » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:38 am

black drum wrote:Just listening to this a bunch more and I really feel like this song is a suicide note.

yeah, i'm sort of worried about his mental health. being holed up in an apartment above drag city headquarters deliberating over your next career move for years has to be maddening. the label should get him into therapy.

it's weird, because i remember an interview from the late 90's where he was critical of lou barlow's sebadoh songs for being too sad sack and self-indulgent in the sense that lou was using the audience's attention to work through his own therapy, or something. berman talked about how with silver jews songs he tries to 'leaven the songs with some sort of hope' this first purple mountains single feels hopeless.

also, i think david berman wrote the press release for the album. it seems like his voice. gives some perspective on how he views this new record:

“Well I don’t really like talking to myself, but someone’s got to say it, hell…”

”You know this voice. An old friend has returned. It was some years back that you dropped the needle on the record and heard it say, “No, I don’t really wanna die...” Like so many lines you couldn’t possibly have guessed the finish to, it’s now among the flat natural-born good-timin’ faves that you sing along with in the jukebox inside your head. It’s loaded up there along with at least a couple dozen others from Silver Jews, whose classic run was made somehow finite in 2009, when the voice himself, David Berman, announced his retirement from music. Ten years have come and gone since then. Where the time goes, we do not know. What do they say about old songwriters? We don’t know that one either, okay? We’re not good with jokes – we’re just glad that there’s always more songs to be written and sung. That’s what raised up Purple Mountains for all of us, after all.

Yes, Purple Mountains is the new nom-de-rock of David Berman. Purple Mountains is also the name of what will be known as one of his greatest albums – full of double-jointed wit and wisdom, up to the neck in his special recipe of hand-crafted country-rock joys and sorrows that sing legendary in cracked and broken hearts. The songs are produced impeccably by Woods’ Jarvis Taveniere and Jeremy Earle, buffed up like a hardwood floor ready to be well-trod upon for an evening of romance and dance. And then…

What is 10 years? What are 50? How is everything anything in the eventual blink of eternity? The songs of Purple Moun-tains are a potent brew, stitched together from lifetimes, knitting the drift of the years with the tightest lyric construction Berman’s ever attempted. Honesty is archly in the air, but lines of incredible bleakness somehow give way to playful distraction and the hiding of surprises for close listeners. Even still, as the songwriter once wrote, “every single thought is like a punch in the face.” It won’t take long after slapping the record on the platter for you to hear that this is one of THOSE albums. There’s breakup records. There’s apocalypse records. Then there’s Purple Mountains.

The portrait is David Berman’s most to-the-bone yet, very frankly confessing a near-total collapse from the first moment, then delving into the layers of nuance with twin lazers of personal laceration and professional remove. This etches a picture that cries to be understood in the misbegotten country that made everything great about Purple Mountains. America’s fate is that of its treasured icons: the cowboy, the outlaw, the card sharp and the riverboat gambler, who all face simple resignation in the end. There are no perfect crimes. Berman’s poet-thief of so many precious moments, now stripped and chastened, recalls his latest lowest moments in perfect detail, hovering ghostly above the tumescent production sound as it echoes with tragic majesty and the sound-fragments of former glory, evoking the defeated-king era of late Elvis, southern-fried and sassy still on his countrypolitan way down, and somehow still solid-gold at the bottom.

Berman’s songwriter’s bone’s never been laid more bare, either – if redemption doesn’t come on the lyric sheet, the act of putting these songs into singing, dancing form allows them their finest end – to provide infotainment for others, embodying moments of life and truth via music that elevates with disarming warmth and a reassuring commonality, even as David himself stands outside the communal campfires.

Where are you tonight, America? The things that used to be have slipped away into the darkness without you knowing it, and your children are wandering in a blasted landscape, with only Purple Mountains left to comfort them, and David Berman’s shattered fables for company.
tarantula

Postby tarantula » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:44 am

just realized the interview didn't address the question of whether he's still sober or not
tarantula

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....