have you ever low-balled yourself in salary negotiations?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby an otter uh otter uh otter uh o » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 pm

I mean I ain't even disagreein that your friend should've told you their salary, like fuck it we're all brothers in this, but all I'm sayin is if there was no friend you'd be drinkin whiskey in celebration of your new job than whiskey in anger over your ex friend. Is all.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ

an otter uh otter uh otter uh o

Postby darger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 pm

government.

my and my colleagues salaries are all searchable online.

darger
ok

Postby clouds » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 pm

i am contract too. i have a favorite company i work for that gives me a lot of work and is cool to deal with. i hadn't given myself a rate increase in a really long time so i sent in a notice to accounting that my rates would be going up $6 per with a note saying call me if this causes issues with quotes, etc. no response.

couple months later the owner flies in to town and takes me for dinner. says "donna says your rates are going up". i was like yeah it's been a while thought it was time hope it's not a problem. he laughs and says im one of the 2 cheapest contract enployees he has and "you coulda raised them more!"

i was all :oops: :evil:

my wimpy ass put a 4 year lock at that rate in the notice i sent to accounting. 2 more years till i can give myself another raise. dumb.
Last edited by clouds on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clouds

Postby galactagogue » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 pm

an otter wrote:"I could've got $5 more an hour, I hate my friend," is like the worst emotional response to getting a job for the pay you asked for.

the point is that i asked for too little not based on what my 'friend' got but based on the fact that as someone who's literally never made more than minimum wage the mystery of being asked what i want to get paid isn't a real sincere question on the part of my employers. It's an attempt at manipulating my experience with financial precarrity to undervalue my self worth for the sake of nailing the job. and that's the part that i resent.

if they had told me This is what we are going to pay you and I accepted, we would be having a very different conversation.
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby virile » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:53 pm

The Dirty Turtle wrote:i asked some guy i was interviewing what he was looking for in terms of salary and then he gave me some stupid low number and i laughed at him then gave him fifty grand more than that

hello are you hiring any positions i would like one thousand dollars per year
mercenaries of slime wrote:or i can just post what i want

virile

Postby clouds » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:55 pm

i am terrible at making and saving money i am not cut out for business. im too nice/not assertive. how i have fed myself being self-employed for over a decade is enough of a miracle for me to not worry about it too much.

clouds

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:55 pm

yeah TDT hire me
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die

mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 pm

glassdoor's salary range aggregator by position has been pretty useful lately

The Emperor's Son

Postby clouds » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:34 pm

someone type up a nefarious-esque reply to this thread please

clouds

Postby The Emperor's Son » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 pm

The Dirty Turtle wrote:which is another way of saying i always just ask just so i can make sure you dont want something crazy but then i pay ppl appropriately regardless of whether or not they sold themselves way short and id hope any decent hiring manager would do the same

are you ever suspicious of people that haven't investigated what an appropriate salary would be

i don't think it's like highly indicative of lack of savvy but i wonder for roles that typically gross six figures you'd think they'd have an understanding established

The Emperor's Son

Postby chimp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 pm

The Emperor's Son wrote:
The Dirty Turtle wrote:which is another way of saying i always just ask just so i can make sure you dont want something crazy but then i pay ppl appropriately regardless of whether or not they sold themselves way short and id hope any decent hiring manager would do the same

are you ever suspicious of people that haven't investigated what an appropriate salary would be

i don't think it's like highly indicative of lack of savvy but i wonder for roles that typically gross six figures you'd think they'd have an understanding established

Yeah it seems very weird that someone would be 50k out unless the job pays like 500k or something

chimp

Postby fuckyoudad » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 pm

I feel like I got good advice in that most companies are not trying to screw you over. they found you to be the best candidate and want you to say yes, so usually they’re not gonna offer you trash.

With that said the job that I’m at now (government job, so I only had room to negotiate what step I started at, how much leave I get, etc) and I was just grateful they offered so I said whatever whatever GIVE IT TO ME
Note: mildly comedic.

fuckyoudad

Postby The Dirty Turtle » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:26 am

chimp wrote:
The Emperor's Son wrote:

Yeah it seems very weird that someone would be 50k out unless the job pays like 500k or something

in this case the guys previous job history was gov and non profit so i think he probably just didnt realize how big a difference those places and a regular company could be in terms of pay and no, him missing on that didnt make me think twice abt anything

The Dirty Turtle
ok

Postby galactagogue » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:29 am

chimp wrote:
The Emperor's Son wrote:

the fact that this is a flag to people says a lot

galactagogue

Postby furrowed brow » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:32 am

yes, i agree.
furrowed brow

Postby tgk » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:45 am

clouds wrote:someone type up a nefarious-esque reply to this thread please

"Your friend is a dick for not helping you get as much money as possible"

tgk

Postby scramble » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 am

tgk wrote:
clouds wrote:someone type up a nefarious-esque reply to this thread please

"You’re a dick for not getting as much money as possible"
Scrambleton F. Posterman III

ooops wrote:ooops

scramble

Postby husbands » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:52 am

was that the job I could have had tdt
ROLL COAL

husbands

Postby jewels » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:59 am

after two very long interviews I didn't get a job, and in the interview he asked, "would you be willing to come down on that"

so my next interview i went a little lower, I got the job and they gave me 1k more than I asked for.

shrug emoticon.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Ted Pikul » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:07 am

galactagogue wrote:i just started a new job, replacing someone i went to school with–- who i EXPLICITLY asked about pay--- but he also helped me get the job.

And it's still the best wage I've ever had. BUT, it's a contract gig, so i pay more taxes on this income in the end... AND i learned after the first paycheck that he gets $5 more an hour than I do.

I'm kind low key furious. But it's my fault for undervaluing myself, ultimately, because I was asked what pay I was looking for. I also explicitly asked my 'friend' about how much he got paid and he avoided giving me numbers by just saying it was 'Very Good.'

I just started this job but now i have this detail really bothering me. How do I negotiate back to a comparable pay??? How long do I wait????

I'm so fucking annoyed.

first of all, I wouldn't entirely blame your friend here. some people aren't comfortable talking about how much money they make

at some point, it would be entirely appropriate to go in an ask about a raise. the case you want to make is that you're doing more work than you anticipated; i.e. "I anticipated this would be $15/hr worth of work, I find myself doing $20". it's fine to frame it in those terms: the relationship here is that your time is worth $20 and their work is worth $20. if you feel you have a strong enough case you could do it as soon as 3 months in, or wait 6 months if you aren't comfortable. the worst that can happen is they say no.
evil olive wrote:Holy shit this is the most Ted Pikul post ever. Just replace your signature now.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby a falsetto child » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:31 am

When I got promoted into my current position 6 years ago, It was a few grand a year more than I made in my old position, but not a lot. I asked for 2k more and got it. Fast forward 2 years later and they are hiring someone to replace my retiring coworker. Our top candidate (who has the same degree and me and relevant experience) asks for I think around 7k more than I was making and my boss asked if I would have a problem with that. I said in so many words, "Yes, I would have huge fucking problem with that and maybe I should go elsewhere where I am appreciated." My boss got all pouty that he couldn't hire this person and literally said, "I wish I had hired you at a higher salary." Yeah, you and me both pal.

Last month we were hiring another analyst again. Once again, the top candidates requested salary is out of line in regards to me and my coworkers salary. We ended up getting raises just so they could hire this person.

I will never understand why employers constantly let good people with tons of institutional knowledge leave for better money and then hire their less-than replacement at 10-30% more money.

a falsetto child

Postby pantsoclock » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:48 am

Yeah and the only thing that seems to consistently fix it is leaving. My experience is similar to Chachi's in that my employers seemed strangely incapable/unwilling to do things to fix a low initial salary.

I mean, I have known people who successfully asked for big raises, but I am not one of them. I had one boss tell me to my face that I got screwed on my initial salary and he wasn't giving me a raise and then mockingly ask me if I was mad and wanted to yell at him.

Otoh when I got hired by Amazon, they offered an absurdly high (to me) salary, and I negotiated on principle anyway, saying "oh I'll have to cut off this interview process with Google to take this can you bump the base pay at all?" They immediately tacked on another 5%.
I pay tax to help pay for things like police..fire..parks..but it goes to Ferguson like people and foreigners who are scamming our stupid government that is full of pasta thieves like this guy

pantsoclock

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:03 pm

I had someone else coordinating a gig for me yesterday and they mentioned that I'd be getting a higher rate than usual. I assumed we had the same industry standards in mind because they've been doing this work forever, but nope, the 'premium rate' they scored me is still much less than I charged the last time I set my own price.
It makes me feel better to write that out. Mostly to remind myself I should always always always specify a ridiculously high price right out the gate. This is one of those lessons Im teaching myself over and over again, which farts a big one.
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby The Bee (from nature) » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:08 pm

Ted/Goggs I suppose some people are uncomfortable talking about pay but that's not... a good enough excuse?

I think at some point we have an obligation to discuss hard numbers for ourselves but also the sake of an organization.
Fear is an illusion!

The Bee (from nature)

Postby medicore bob dole gimmick » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:10 pm

Maybe get a few months under your belt to determine worth fighting for. I hate the negotiation part. There are really no rules and I’m programmed to serve the needs of others.

medicore bob dole gimmick

Postby kid8 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:16 pm

I make $20.81/hr.
we hardley knew thee.

kid8
killer

Postby WeirdJungle » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:19 pm

I have probably done this at some point and not even realized it, because I’m generally bad at being interested in and motivated by money

I’ve definitely gotten job offers where I was offered less than my current salary and I tried to negotiate up and was told “that’s outside the salary range for this job title at this company.” And maybe the right response would have been to ask for a different job title, but instead I just ditched it and told them no thanks. I have no idea how this stuff works.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

WeirdJungle

Postby galactagogue » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:21 pm

mariavesperi wrote:Ted/Goggs I suppose some people are uncomfortable talking about pay but that's not... a good enough excuse?

I think at some point we have an obligation to discuss hard numbers for ourselves but also the sake of an organization.

yea this dude 100% shouldve told me. it’s an extreme case of privilege to avoid saying so, especially when you are training someone to do the same work

galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:22 pm

WeirdJungle wrote:I have probably done this at some point and not even realized it, because I’m generally bad at being interested in and motivated by money

I’ve definitely gotten job offers where I was offered less than my current salary and I tried to negotiate up and was told “that’s outside the salary range for this job title at this company.” And maybe the right response would have been to ask for a different job title, but instead I just ditched it and told them no thanks. I have no idea how this stuff works.

no i think u probably did the right thing

galactagogue

Postby donna martin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:57 pm

employers push salary secrecy to avoid people figuring out what their labor is worth and when they're being screwed, straight up. it's heavily reinforced by our society and culture (at least in America), dressed up in the idea that it's not polite. not saying i go around telling everyone my salary nor that people should be required to share, but i'm fine with sharing to help someone out. when i worked in retail, i was constantly told we weren't allowed per store policy to discuss our hourly rate. this was a load of horseshit they fed to us, and it was manipulative as hell. i once compared notes with a fellow employee and realized i was getting unfairly passed over for a 50 cent an hour raise--but because i was told i could be fired for having this information, there was nothing i felt i could do about it.

your friend should have helped you out. when my boss (who is now a friend) left at my old job and my superiors decided they wanted me to take that job (a job i didn't really want because of the office politics involved with it), i texted him and asked how much of a raise i should ask for. he told me straight up what he made and said to ask for exactly that. i didn't get quite what he made (he had more experience and also i was a woman in an office with a big fat sexism problem), but it was incredibly useful in pushing for a good bit more than i was making. who cares if my superiors suspected we compared notes, and that's why i asked for his exact salary? what were they going to do about it?

donna martin

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley