Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby donna martin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:57 pm

In 6th grade I convinced my parents to buy me a Charlotte Hornets Starter jacket for Christmas. Those things were not cheap. I begged and told them I'd wear it all the time. It was the mid-90s so I picked out a comically oversized one and was so happy.

I wore it for ... a month? My parents never stopped giving me grief until my younger brother started wearing it in hs 10+ years later. By then the Hornets were long gone and I told my parents it was an investment in a collectors item (people offered my brother money for it -- I told him over my dead body that's a family heirloom).

For context, 12yo me was 5'3" and 120 pounds. It later fit my muscular, 6'4" brother. I cannot imagine how ridiculous I looked.
donna martin

Postby emotional fascism » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:09 pm

never cool. never got help from my parents to try to be cool - in fact, their 'help' attempts definitely would have contributed to me being less cool and not like myself at all

example: mom bought me a gold necklace with an Italy boot charm with my name on it for my birthday. as an 8th grader. who had just started listening to NIN and Jane's Addiction. to her credit, it was a nice gift and probably very $, but not me at all and definitely not cool outside of guido circles - people who definitely had a distinct dislike of the people I hung out with in middle school/high school
emotional fascism

Postby nautical hyperblast » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm

decided that i was a skinhead when i was 12/13 because i got really into Oi! music.
wore tight jeans, boots and braces, and fred perry's. got called steve urkel by someone at the mall. kept with it for a while though.
nautical hyperblast

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:05 pm

donna martin wrote:In 6th grade I convinced my parents to buy me a Charlotte Hornets Starter jacket for Christmas. Those things were not cheap. I begged and told them I'd wear it all the time. It was the mid-90s so I picked out a comically oversized one and was so happy.

these were absolutely A Thing when I was in 6th-7th grade but that was 91-92. I didn't understand why at the time, and still don't. I did not live anywhere remotely near Charlotte.
it's da paaaaavemeeent
DasLofGang

Postby Bernie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:06 pm

The purple and teal color scheme was very much a 90s brand thing
Bernie
Mayonnaise Boy

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:08 pm

that's it? just the fucking colors? lol
it's da paaaaavemeeent
DasLofGang

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:09 pm

The Hornets's color scheme, teal and purple, was VERY 90s. I remember kids in middle school wearing their Starter jacket more than any other team's except maybe the Bulls.
Eyeball Kid

Postby gauchebag » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:09 pm

gauchebag wrote:-jnco jeans
-skateboard
-abercrombie winter coat

in hindsight maybe it worked as i became senior class president after sowing these seeds in 7th grade
bruce1: fucking, fighting, i'm the one with gun
gauchebag

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Ah, I see this was addressed during my slowly typing that post
Eyeball Kid

Postby crime » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:28 pm

diamondbacks had the same 90s purple/teal, but with fake arizona ice tea native flair. i didn't know it was widespread.

dusky wrote:-intentionally scratched up the bottom of my first skateboard on the sidewalk, to a ridiculous degree, then got immediately called out by the alpha in front of the whole pack.

i absolutely did this, on my alien workshop deck that i thought was super unique.
crime

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:48 pm

somewhat off topic but I was just reminded of when I moved to an upper middle class neighborhood full of kids doing tricks on their haros and diamondbacks and shit, and there I was with this rusty-ass ross from like the 60s with monkey bars and a banana seat

I was already no stranger to being made to feel like shit because of things like this, but my own disgust with what a piece of junk it objectively was added a novel hint of darkness to it, like "fuck...those kids are right"

walking everywhere was no picnic but I was secretly relieved when some huge middle schoolers knocked me off it and tossed it into the path of an oncoming dump truck
it's da paaaaavemeeent
DasLofGang

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:52 pm

crime wrote:diamondbacks had the same 90s purple/teal, but with fake arizona ice tea native flair. i didn't know it was widespread.

The NBA's "cool" factor certainly helped, but it had to be the color scheme. The Hornets had some pretty good teams in the 90s, but nothing to push it to near-Jordan-era Bulls levels of fashionableness.
Eyeball Kid

Postby mancubz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm

my older brother had the nike swoosh shaved into the underside of his bowl cut and he was "cool" so i guess that's what i shoulda done
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby figaro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:55 pm

i got my baseball number shaved into my hair one time

god i was a loser
figaro

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:57 pm

aw man I wish it didn't take so long to grow out a nice bowl
it's da paaaaavemeeent
DasLofGang

Postby mancubz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Hey figaro was it at least a cool number
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 pm

I remember a kid in high school showing up one day with the Playboy bunny shaved into his hair. He was sent home and not allowed back until he got rid of it.
Eyeball Kid

Postby donna martin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:03 pm

DasLofGang wrote:
donna martin wrote:In 6th grade I convinced my parents to buy me a Charlotte Hornets Starter jacket for Christmas. Those things were not cheap. I begged and told them I'd wear it all the time. It was the mid-90s so I picked out a comically oversized one and was so happy.

these were absolutely A Thing when I was in 6th-7th grade but that was 91-92. I didn't understand why at the time, and still don't. I did not live anywhere remotely near Charlotte.

I actually lived near Charlotte and went to their games, so makes more sense in my case. The Hornets were a big deal at the time if you lived in North Carolina. I also recall that the Hornets color were pretty hot n fresh at a time of really basic NBA colors, right when merch was really taking off.

I'm pretty sure the jacket went to my knees.
donna martin

Postby doublethink0 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:10 pm

have to post
Polygraph Shakira wrote:
Gourmetbe wrote:my dad took away my jncos after a week or two because he said i was too cocky when i wore them.

still one of my favourite posts of all time

but for me, it was JNCOs, Pac Sun graphic tees, Sam Goody band tees, Abercrombie/American Eagle, frosted tips and just about every other late 90s fashion trend you can think of
doublethink0

Postby Buddy Knox » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Wow how did I forget about my Hornets jacket? I didn’t even ask for mine. I doubt my parents would have bought it for me so it must have been a birthday or Christmas gift from an aunt or uncle.
Buddy Knox

Postby Buddy Knox » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm

This was in Chicagoland, too.
Buddy Knox

Postby figaro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:58 pm

mancubz wrote:Hey figaro was it at least a cool number

:oops: :oops: :oops:
figaro

Postby Riverchrist » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Georgetown gear was also very popular in the Chicago burbs.
Riverchrist

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 pm

Anaheim Ducks Starter jackets were also fairly popular IIRC.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby Viz » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:20 pm

I spent a lot of time at the local library when I was a kid. One time I was in there, when these three cool neighbourhood kids walked in. I wanted to impress them on "my turf" so I tried showing them where the "cool" books were like the Star Wars stuff and so on. They were actually kinda into it surprisingly, but we all got pretty loud and shit looking at these different cool books. The librarian of course came to where we were and told us to keep it down. Before she leaves, she smiles and looks at me and goes, "Hey Viz!". The other kids just stared and said, "She knows your name?"
Viz

Postby crime » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:23 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:Anaheim Ducks Starter jackets were also fairly popular IIRC.

oh yeah, i had a ducks branded hockey stick too, to signal that i lived in LA at some point and not from central valley bakersfield
crime

Postby VHB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Riverchrist wrote:Georgetown gear was also very popular in the Chicago burbs.

yeah, Georgetown, another curious but very strong nationwide trend for those couple of years. And that little cartoon bulldog that I Guess answers my eternal question of what a "Hoya" was.

I assumed at the time the team was suddenly very very good and/or the player they were built around was sure to be highly drafted & be the NBA's next Star Of Tomorrow but I guess it wasn't even that?
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

bill wrote:every hooker deserves an Oscar for faking orgasms i swear to god

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong
VHB
VHS

Postby tricksforchips » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 pm

I lied about getting nipple rings one summer.
tricksforchips

Postby loaf angel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:48 pm

spiky hair in 9th grade that was about it i think
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby figaro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 pm

is the the butt cut due for a come back?
figaro

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....