I can't forget these forgettable 90s alt rock bands

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby pissydan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:03 pm

jewels wrote:
jewels wrote:I had a mediocre cutout bin CD that I kinda liked two songs but I can't find it online anywhere, I might have the name spelling wrong

Meesies?
Measees?

The cover illustration was a guy with a big cigar (i think) in a cartoonish but high detail 90s way.

Someone please solve this mystery!

the screaming meemees? i dont remember an album cover like that tho...
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby hadlex » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:04 pm

hadlex

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Milk wrote:
goofy's dead wife wrote:

when i play this song for people it seems like nobody remembers it outside of an occasional "lol polyphonic spree". i mean they were a much bigger thing in the dfw metroplex than the rest of the country so it makes sense but yeah it occupies the same space in my head as kevin smith movies.

This band was HUGE for like 15 minutes in this province. Like Quebec specifically. It was so weird. they did an interview at musiqueplus (our mtv) at the height of this song's popularity and there were throngs of screaming girls pounding in the windows like it was beatlemania and the band was like WTF is going on here? It was very puzzling to them but also to me too. For this reason i think everyone of my generation here probably knows this song very well.

i'll corroborate this, this song was bizarrely massive. my favourite part is when he goes "I got a girl she's got girlfriends... I got a girl [eyes popping out of sockets and tongue hanging out of mouth like a cartoon) I LIKE HER GIRLFRIENDS!"
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ

spix et chicho

Postby doublethink0 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Grumby wrote:i think they played upstate ny a lot so i remember radio advertisements as a child like "OUR LADY PEACE... CONCERT NOW.. GOTTA GET YOUR TICKETS" but i think elsewhere in the states they maybe weren't hyped as much

growing up in Northern/ Lake Erie coast Ohio we were in broadcast reach of Windsor Ontario's alternative 89X station, which of course hyped all things Canadian including OLP so they ended being extremely popular in my high school. it's interesting to look back on how regional that really was even for other bands as well

89X was this interesting mix of all that 90s alternative and selective rap and techno and pop rock and to my knowledge they still air the same stuff as back then, like a time capsule of my early teens

doublethink0

Postby pissydan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:08 pm

hadlex wrote:Image

holy shit
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby jewels » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Hadlex! Ysss thank you!
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:
I saw Fishbone twice in 1996. The first time was in May, and these guys were the openers. Note that the drummer is wearing a Fishbone shirt!

To piggyback on this post, the very first time I saw Fishbone was in 1994, and one of the two openers were these guys:

I remember they had a song that dropped a "cocksucker" in it, which they played and the word sent my friend into hysterics. (We were 15 at the time.)

Eyeball Kid

Postby Jerry Lundegaard » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:52 pm

doublethink0 wrote:

i love this song, i think because it was on the Cant Hardly Wait soundtrack, which i watched like 100 times as a child

Jerry Lundegaard

Postby Grumby » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:54 pm

doublethink0 wrote:
Grumby wrote:i think they played upstate ny a lot so i remember radio advertisements as a child like "OUR LADY PEACE... CONCERT NOW.. GOTTA GET YOUR TICKETS" but i think elsewhere in the states they maybe weren't hyped as much

growing up in Northern/ Lake Erie coast Ohio we were in broadcast reach of Windsor Ontario's alternative 89X station, which of course hyped all things Canadian including OLP so they ended being extremely popular in my high school. it's interesting to look back on how regional that really was even for other bands as well

89X was this interesting mix of all that 90s alternative and selective rap and techno and pop rock and to my knowledge they still air the same stuff as back then, like a time capsule of my early teens

yeah i think there was a canadian radio station that was in reach towards buffalo that played olp a bunch and then the one in poughkeepsie, which i listened too, started playing them and other canadian artists as well.
Last edited by Grumby on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grumby

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:54 pm

I wish I could find my copy of that Lifter album. Thinking of buying a copy off Discogs for a couple of bucks.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Mike Coulter, the singer for Lifter, released a solo album four years ago. His Spotify page has nine monthly listeners. How many of those nine or also among the LifterVEVO's 37 subscribers?

Eyeball Kid

Postby neuartillery » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:I wish I could find my copy of that Lifter album. Thinking of buying a copy off Discogs for a couple of bucks.

Do you want me to up it for you?

neuartillery

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Please do!

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:15 pm

EDIT: double

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:31 pm

KPH wrote:
worrywort wrote:that Lifter album rules imo and the videos for the singles are truly, truly godawful

Loved the lead track too

Really heartening there are other people on this board who remember this forgettable band's good album. Both these songs rip, and the latter helps in not having a distractingly bad video attached to it.

Maybe we can get a Lifter reevaluation going? Numero Group, are you down for a reissue?

Eyeball Kid

Postby Grumby » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:16 pm

i just wanna say i regret making that failure post, because after a few more listens to that song i posted, i fucking love it. maybe they've finally clicked for me

Grumby

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:20 pm

somehow reflexively said 'i love her dog too' to that tripping daisy song i haven't even heard it in maybe 20 years hitting some part of my brain
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby Grumby » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 pm

anyways let's get back to the forgettable shit. again on the canadian side of things, a while ago i figured out that the guy from broken social scene was in this band. this was when i was actually interested in broken social scene which i'm not really anymore but wow

pretty funny

Grumby

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:24 pm

Various ‎– 12 Surge Songs
Label: EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets ‎– 72438-19454-2-1
Format: CD, Compilation, Promo
Released: 1996
Genre: Hip Hop, Rock
Style:

Tracklist
1 –Jimmy Eat World Seventeen 3:34
2 –Little John Shoelace 3:22
3 –I Mother Earth Another Sunday 4:05
4 –Us3 C'Mon Everybody 3:46
5 –Luscious Jackson Electric 3:09
6 –Skeleton Key Watch The Fat Man Swing 3:25
7 –Stir Looking For 4:39
8 –My Head Killer Hair 3:22
9 –Supernova (11) Vitamins 2:06
10 –Five For Fighting Bella's Birthday Cake 4:19
11 –Silverjet* Kid 3:28
12 –The Hazies Dancin' At Seven 4:32
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Statistics
Have: 15
Want: 4
Avg Rating: -- / 5
Ratings: 0
Last Sold: 28 Apr 19
Lowest: $1.99
Median: $3.00
Highest: $8.98
Hal Jordan

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Grumby wrote:i just wanna say i regret making that failure post, because after a few more listens to that song i posted, i fucking love it. maybe they've finally clicked for me

Being good or bad wasn't the reason for this thread (I legitimately really like the Lifter album that kicked off this thread, for instance), but it was for alt-rock bands that didn't make much waves back in the 90s and are more or less forgotten now. Failure has a sizable following now, and one that is definitely bigger than it was when they were originally active. They do not fit what this thread intended.

Eyeball Kid

Postby antoine » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:31 pm

If Failure had only released that first album they'd qualify probably. Listening to it now it just sounds like a mediocre shellac/grunge thing. Also sounds like Albini was asleep at the mixing console. It's fine but the next two albums were huge leaps forward.

antoine

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Hal Jordan

Postby Grumby » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm

oh, ok. i could really add possum dixon to this. not really a grunge band... more like post-punk + camper van beethoven college rock dork aesthetic kinda. they didn't sell much but put out a bunch of major label albums that aren't remembered. but they were really good. the singer is a famous magician now..

he (the lead guy) also played bass on "mellow gold" by beck

Last edited by Grumby on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grumby

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm

The two post-reunion albums are fine, but nowhere near on the level of Magnified and Fantastic Planet. They're still great live.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:36 pm

thought for a second possum dixon there said mojo nixon
Hal Jordan

Postby worrywort » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:42 pm

i definitely have this CD somewhere, didn't love it or hate it, and i find this song kinda obnoxious but it gets stuck in my head all the time still.

worrywort

Postby BlackSugar » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Paul wrote:how dare you put big wreck in this thread

maybe they meant big chief. gotta say I loved this song and the record it came from

BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Grumby » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 pm

i know some other boarders rep possum dixon though. not alone

Grumby

Postby yupislyr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Grumby wrote:
doublethink0 wrote:

yeah i think there was a canadian radio station that was in reach towards buffalo that played olp a bunch and then the one in poughkeepsie, which i listened too, started playing them and other canadian artists as well.

It was like this all along the Canadian border. Sloan are another example. They weren't huge, but pretty big in Canada for awhile. They've always had a large following in Detroit/Michigan due to proximity to Canada, and would play in various venues around Detroit year after year. One time I remember they were touring parts of the US opening for Fountains of Wayne, but FoW ceded the headliner spot to them for Detroit and perhaps Buffalo as well because most everyone at the venue were chanting Sloan's name.

But travel not even that far south to Toledo though and you could see Sloan play in a small bar with maybe 100 people max.

It's definitely not the same anymore. It has leaned more towards nu-metal/active rock/modern/whatever rock nowadays. I would say CIDR out of Windsor is more like what 89x used to be, although it's definitely a lighter version of 90's 89x. With random Top 40 stuff thrown in.
Last edited by yupislyr on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yupislyr

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley