Bike Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby incoherent grunting » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 pm

I feel so fortunate I can at least ride to work every day!
Working on a couple more legit rides...
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby KPH » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:15 pm

I miss bike commuting so much

Got yelled [homophobic slur] during my ride tonight. It’s not that I never heard that back in Mass or upstate NY but the frequency here outside of Nashville is disappointing. It’s more or less monthly, slightly more this year for some reason.

KPH

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:36 pm

I think we can all agree that toasting tri weenies is the highest form of competition in any discipline

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:37 pm

but on a serious note, good advice everyone, thanks. I have no desire to race but there are plenty of group rides around here at all levels, maybe I'll try one once I'm a little more fit.

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby board ghost » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:19 am

yeah i think the principles in freils book work even w/out racing as a goal. you can plug in any event or period where you wanna be in peak form and train towards that.

the general principle of blocks and rest and phasins seasonally btw aerobic base and anaerobic drills holds
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby 7SEVEN7 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:01 pm

badhat wrote:also theres really something to be said for going on a demoralizingly hard group ride that kicks the shit out of you every week.

I started our local weekly drop ride here in PDX about 2.5 years ago. It's called The Sauvie Shootout. It has made riding so much more fun for me. It's a race pace flat ride with 2 sprints on each lap of a 12 mile loop around a nearby island (Sauvie Island, thus the name) We do 2 laps each week then spilt up and ride the hills. When I started promoting the ride on social media, I decided to treat it like a product, and worked to brand it, give it an identity and create an inviting ride culture that I'm proud of. It's an all out smashfest, but has a great vibe. I create a badly photoshopped promotional image and group shot each week. This is the Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/sauvieshootout/
Just Some Guy

7SEVEN7

Postby board ghost » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm

we didnt tell JZ about bike handling and etiquette in packs, but thats a really important part of learning to group ride safely.

how to pace (and not push pace), how not to halfwheel, how different types of pacelines work, how to communicate in the pack, how not to be the newb (or triathlete) asshole that sketches everybody out

really important

board ghost

Postby board ghost » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:45 pm

a good hard a-pace paceline with like 8-10 people who know what the fuck theyre doing is just such an incredible exhilarating workout.

board ghost

Postby brittle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:04 pm

At age 38 the local shop ride shocked me into good fitness and bike handling in about four weeks.

I'd been off the bike for almost three years and about thirty lbs overweight. I yo yo'd off the back for the first week, but in just a few weeks I was hanging with the big dogs for the climbs and town line sprints.

They also did a twice weekly pickup crit that I'd show up to where local pros and hobbiest badasses would show up. At first I'd fight like hell for an hour to not be lapped and eventually got fit enough (just by spending an hour drowning in the wind every week), that i started hanging, and then by July was attacking or sprinting for the win anytime there weren't p/1/2 guys shredding the pack.

brittle

Postby brittle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Shop rides for sure.

And they're so nice and welcoming to newcomers too! Even if it is only cuz they know they'll make you hurt but still want you to come back.

brittle

Postby board ghost » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:26 pm

many years ago, cycling journo legend caley fretz was an undergrad at CSU and i was new to group riding and we connected on bike forums and he encouraged me to ride The Oval, which is FCs motherfuck saturday ride.

he was a collegiate A then, a super fast, super fit dude and the first time i showed forcthe oval i found him and introcuced myself to him, and despite being a bmoc and surrounded by other collegiate cool dudes he was super super nice to me and for the first month, he’d ride with me and yell tips at me in the line and when i got dropped, he’d fall back and tow me back up to the pack, over and over, and i’d always dig so fucking deep not tocdisappoint him.

i’m still astonished by how above and beyond he was to some dude from the internet. and we became friends and its been thrilling to watch his rise in race journalism.

best dude.

board ghost

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 pm

badhat wrote:we didnt tell JZ about bike handling and etiquette in packs, but thats a really important part of learning to group ride safely.

how to pace (and not push pace), how not to halfwheel, how different types of pacelines work, how to communicate in the pack, how not to be the newb (or triathlete) asshole that sketches everybody out

really important

this I've gathered from reading and talking to some co-workers who were excellent competitive cyclists in a past life.

my aggro competitive instincts run *really* deep but when it comes to biking they are far outweighed by my desire to stay alive and in one piece

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:06 pm

badhat wrote:many years ago, cycling journo legend caley fretz was an undergrad at CSU and i was new to group riding and we connected on bike forums and he encouraged me to ride The Oval, which is FCs motherfuck saturday ride.

he was a collegiate A then, a super fast, super fit dude and the first time i showed forcthe oval i found him and introcuced myself to him, and despite being a bmoc and surrounded by other collegiate cool dudes he was super super nice to me and for the first month, he’d ride with me and yell tips at me in the line and when i got dropped, he’d fall back and tow me back up to the pack, over and over, and i’d always dig so fucking deep not tocdisappoint him.

i’m still astonished by how above and beyond he was to some dude from the internet. and we became friends and its been thrilling to watch his rise in race journalism.

best dude.

you basically did this for me when it comes to boarding lol

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Brittle what's your cycling history? were you a former pro or something?

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby brittle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:49 am

Oh no, not even close. I never even CAT'd up.

Badhat, fraew and 7EVEN7 had a lot of success with racing though.

I just had good physiology for it, and read a lot of training stuff for the five races I entered.

brittle

Postby brittle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:52 am

I won one the third and podiumed the next, so I was def on to something. Just didn't have the time and budget to keep up.

brittle

Postby board ghost » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:33 pm

my story is embarrassing well documented in here but i’ve been a car free bike commuter since college. been a messenger, event organizer, distance/endurance/cold weather nut, etc.

my actual race career was relatively short. after a few years of serious rec riding in mountains of CO someone talked me into/dared me to do it and i had a really good cat4 year, a disasterous cat 3 year, an awesome second cat3 year that included a pretty gnarly crash, then my 4th year i raced 35+ open and won 3 TTs and quit out of boredom/disillusionment/lack of nerve part way thru the season. but before and after racing i wrote about and planned races and bike events so i was in the organized bike event life for a long ass time and that led to getting asked to run a bike org which led to me focusing more on the mobility justice aspect of active transpo planning which led to a weird midlife career switch and now i’m an active transportation planner.

board ghost

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:04 pm

What up with Rohan?
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby brittle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:What up with Rohan?

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/inside- ... an-dennis/

it seems everyone has a Rohan story. Each rider or team staff member I contacted in the last few hours said some version of the same: Yes, it’s a problem. This isn’t the first time. It’s a pattern.

“He needs help,” two former teammates told me, asking that I not use any specific stories they’d told. It’s a phrase that turns this story from one of bemused confusion — why would an elite athlete do that? — to one that feels quite sad.

brittle

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:44 am

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/what-the-hell-am-i-doing-behind-rohan-dennis-tour-walk-out-20190719-p528v1.html

The issue is far from being resolved, from the aspect of Dennis’ well-being and what his "current feeling" is, and also how – or if – the situation could have been managed better by his team or agent. But Dennis himself may have given a clue in an extensive interview posted last month on the Stanley Street Social podcast.

The hour-long chat, recorded in January, took an astonishing turn at the end when Dennis was asked what advice he would give to an aspiring cyclist.

‘‘To this day, there are times when I think 'what the hell am I doing?’,’’ Dennis said. ‘‘In 2018 I reckon there were half a dozen times when I thought 'I could quit – right now’ and January last year was the big one . . . I did not want to race my bike ever again. I was over this sport. But after a while you snap out of it and maybe it’s a a bit of a depressed period, for a week or something, then you realise why you like it again. I have these little periods when things aren’t going well, across the board, sometimes it’s a bit tough. It’s the same with every job . . . you’re bashing your head against the wall 'what am I doing? what am I doing?’ Eventually that wall shows a crack and you’re 'that’s why I’m doing it’, but I still go through those periods.’’

The issue will overshadow the time trial he was expected to win and will linger as the Tour turns to the upcoming onslaught of two more days in the Pyrenees.

Saturday’s stage from Tarbes to the Col du Tourmalet, including the 11.9km Col du Soulor midway, is relatively short andis expected to be a fast a furious day in the saddle for all.

"hot headed" + "strong depressive phases" sounds more like bipolar disorder rather than "being moody as all champions are"

jenmichaeljarre

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 am

also quick reminder that having bar end caps is extremely important. I crashed a few days ago due to a bump in the road i didn't see, and my handlebar end went straight in my thigh. It resulted in the biggest contusion i've ever had, and i can only imagine what it would have been if i didn't have a bar end cap.

jenmichaeljarre

Postby brittle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 am

Goddamn :)

brittle

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 am

Guys, Alaphilippe...

incoherent grunting

Postby Lucky » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:08 am

lol
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby board ghost » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:36 pm

jenmichaeljarre wrote:also quick reminder that having bar end caps is extremely important. I crashed a few days ago due to a bump in the road i didn't see, and my handlebar end went straight in my thigh. It resulted in the biggest contusion i've ever had, and i can only imagine what it would have been if i didn't have a bar end cap.

at least one ducumented death of a kid has been atrributed to this. gored by an upcapped bar end on a kids bike.

fuuuck.

board ghost

Postby brittle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:08 pm

I know better.

Mine popped off a few weeks ago and I just plugged it with a wine cork. Looks better, but wouldn't make much of a difference if I caught it in my spleen

brittle

Postby fraew » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:01 pm

You dudes should come to New Zealand next month and ride our Cyclocross Nationals - been a bit of an all-consuming task for me helping out with the event planning/organisation etc...

fraew

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

guys, alaphilippe....Toggle Spoiler
Last edited by incoherent grunting on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

incoherent grunting

Postby incoherent grunting » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am

Today is a good stage to watch!

incoherent grunting

Postby Lucky » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:17 am

lol
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley