Bike Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby incoherent grunting » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:18 pm

how about for cross racing, we talkin 40-48psi in here?
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby board ghost » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:46 pm

for cross, most pros go as low as possible without rimming out

they all have their own little tricks that vary by rider weight but basically the goal is like how low can you get without hitting rim on a hard impact. esp in really muddy, slick conditions. they go higher when its dry or if the course is more hard packed.

we’re talking 20s, (again, depending on weight)
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby board ghost » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:49 pm

they also have the luxury of pit wheels and pit bikes. theyll ride a few laps prior to the race to dial in pressure and tire selection and then they have crews in the pit to change if conditions change or if the initial decision was wrong c

board ghost

Postby staple » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:50 am

ate shit for the first time on my ride into work this morning. basically rode off a curb that was much taller than i though, i think my rear fender caught the curb and it flipped me over. fortunately i was going slow, so just a few scrapes.
does not want to say hipinion in a court of law

staple

Postby board ghost » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:13 am

comes into the bike thread with a crash story and doesnt mention whether the bike is ok...

board ghost

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:32 am

just returning from a trip from Toulouse (France) to Porto (Portugal), and it was the best trip i've done so far. Basque country and Spain in general is a cyclist' dreamland. Large empty roads, 95% of the cars will cross you at a good distance (even cheering you up if you're in a climb), amazing scenery and cheap hosting everywhere (i"ve only used my tent twice).
The only downside is the food. Fucking terrible food all along until portugal. But i'm definitely going back to the Basque country for short trips. Here are some pictures

jenmichaeljarre

Postby gallits » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:30 am

Living the dream, nice pics

Please elaborate on the crappyness of Spanish food

gallits

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:42 am

well you stop at a random restaurant, get the menu, and there's only fried stuff on it, often swimming in a weird sweet sauce. meat will often be served with just a handful of crisps out the bag. I like crisps of course but not like that. ingredients are often of very bad quality. I've once entered a bakery for buying something to eat for breakfast, and got out empty handed because nothing was appealing.
The only safe bet is the tortilla (potato omelet). The best meal i've had was a picnic i bought at a supermarket (high quality ham, tomato and bread). and don't get me started about the fucking paella. Fucking terrible dish where everything tastes like shrimp head.
I've tried random small restaurants, super well tripadvisor noted restaurants, cafés and really i found the overall quality terrible. After a few days i stuck to pizza, and even some were really bad (i got square bits of bacon on a "margherita") Portugal was wayyy better, especially in Porto (yummy small meat sandwiches, great seafood, amazing pastry shops)

jenmichaeljarre

Postby gallits » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:15 am

good post

gallits

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:10 am

still incredibly jelly despite the food, sounds awesome!
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby Lucky » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:12 am

Always wanted to go to the Basque Country.

New website design for Cyclingnews! https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/vuelta-a-espana-2019/stage-7/live-report/
Don't like it as much as the old one with less info on the front page when you open it, but there ya go.
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby shizaam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:35 am

jenmichaeljarre wrote:just returning from a trip from Toulouse (France) to Porto (Portugal), and it was the best trip i've done so far. Basque country and Spain in general is a cyclist' dreamland. Large empty roads, 95% of the cars will cross you at a good distance (even cheering you up if you're in a climb), amazing scenery and cheap hosting everywhere (i"ve only used my tent twice).
The only downside is the food. Fucking terrible food all along until portugal. But i'm definitely going back to the Basque country for short trips. Here are some pictures

oh that's awesome (aside from the food). how many days / what kind of mileage?

shizaam

Postby brittle » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:29 am

ValverdeToggle Spoiler tha god

brittle

Postby southpaw » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 am

All those miles on a specialized power saddle too! You must like it pretty well right?

I'm gonna give mine another attempt nose up slightly and also nose down but it definitely turned into a spear for me around mile 30

southpaw

Postby shizaam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:28 am

finally going to get a bike computer, and thinking one of the wahoo ones. any recs? looking at roam or regular elemnt.

shizaam

Postby incoherent grunting » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:46 am

brittle wrote:ValverdeToggle Spoiler tha god

da killa, da king

incoherent grunting

Postby tiger » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:55 am

southpaw wrote:My bike fit is absolutely killing me and I can't drop big cash on a pro fitting

Any good recs on online fit tools?

steve hogg has lots of good stuff on his website too, even the few free teaser articles have a lot of advice

i should get back into biking. oh well.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/

tiger

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:57 pm

oh that's awesome (aside from the food). how many days / what kind of mileage?

around 10 days of biking and something like 1300kms, more details here https://www.strava.com/athletes/1465001#interval?interval=201931&interval_type=week&chart_type=miles&year_offset=0

southpaw wrote:All those miles on a specialized power saddle too! You must like it pretty well right?

I'm gonna give mine another attempt nose up slightly and also nose down but it definitely turned into a spear for me around mile 30

Yeah i love the specialized power. It has to be finely tuned, but i can ride 170kms on it and still feel pretty good. The best saddle i had i think, i measured my thigh bones width before ordering it, maybe this is what's wrong with yours ?

jenmichaeljarre

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:59 pm

shizaam wrote:finally going to get a bike computer, and thinking one of the wahoo ones. any recs? looking at roam or regular elemnt.

I've got a wahoo elmnt bolt and it's amazing. great battery life, readability, the smaller size doesn't affect readability or anything. The fact that you do all the advanced stuff / mapping etc from your smartphone is great. I'm never using a Garmin ever again.

jenmichaeljarre

Postby shizaam » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 pm

jenmichaeljarre wrote:
shizaam wrote:finally going to get a bike computer, and thinking one of the wahoo ones. any recs? looking at roam or regular elemnt.

I've got a wahoo elmnt bolt and it's amazing. great battery life, readability, the smaller size doesn't affect readability or anything. The fact that you do all the advanced stuff / mapping etc from your smartphone is great. I'm never using a Garmin ever again.

did you pretty much have your routing set in advance (so that rerouting via the bolt isn't really an issue)?

shizaam

Postby Fullscreen » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:14 pm

badhat wrote:gatorskins if youre looking for a good balance of good ride and good protection

Seriously loving my gator hardshells. I feel so much more nimble than with the old vittorias my bike came with.

Dropped in on Jamis recently and saw that their current model of beatnik (I have one from ~4-5 years ago) has like 28 or 32c tires, up from 25.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby jenmichaeljarre » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:37 pm

shizaam wrote:
jenmichaeljarre wrote:

did you pretty much have your routing set in advance (so that rerouting via the bolt isn't really an issue)?

I did yes. I like to use Strava for mapping my rides, and as i'm too cheap for paying for a premium account i can't make a new map on my phone. But i had a friend with a computer make new routes for me, sent them to me by email and then you can copy the .gpx in the elemnt app and send it to the elemnt bolt.

jenmichaeljarre

Postby KPH » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:05 pm

I haven't had the best of luck with wahoo products except for their sensors. But the elemnt seems to get high marks so...

KPH

Postby Lucky » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:11 am

Vuelta is the best GT
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death

Lucky

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 am

I rode to work at 100 psi (instead of the usual 120) and it made a big difference in terms of smooth ride and cornering. I *think* I was faster too, but I'm not good enough with the physics to understand whether that's real or placebo.

Thanks bike thread

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby southpaw » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:51 am

Yeah I almost posted yesterday that I took mine to 90 and it was absolutely incredible. Way better.

southpaw

Postby board ghost » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:09 pm

good ol maggie habes shared some dumb “but what about bikes?!” both sides do it bullshit this morning and got her ass handed to her and deleted it

board ghost

Postby tiger » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:02 pm

welcome to the softer side. I run 32c at 90-95 psi and I ain’t ever lookin back. I’ve been too scared to bike in LA but I keep slamming on the skateboard so I just went with the google maps bike route and went for it. the skateboard must’ve done something good for my leg imbalances (I’m diligent about using both legs equally for pushing) and also losing a bit of weight bc I was still cruising at my usual pace, upper teens for mph (no computer to check) and cars couldn’t easily pass so I couldn’t get buzzed (trackstanding to maintain position is key for being left alone too). Dunno what I was so scared about after all.

tiger

Postby fraew » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Missed my fucking race on Saturday... and I'm the promotion guy/handicapper so I felt shit about it all day. Had a slow flat on my race bike tub (forgot about it, hasn't been ridden since Club Nationals in May), and after getting my replacement delivered I discovered it had a broken spoke and the wrong cassette on it... Ah well. Went for a CX ride in the hills instead and it was pretty chill.

Btw been setting up Thule 561's on the new cars roof rack. Seem pretty cool. What bike racks do you guys use? I've only just gotten a learners license recently btw since we have a baby on the way

fraew

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:12 pm

plus I got a sweet $85 jersey for $20 in a sample sale at sports basement 8-)

Jefferson Zeppelin

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley