Bike Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby shantih » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Last edited by shantih on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

shantih

Postby board ghost » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:37 pm

most recent two johns has a letter from mike using the name "unbadhat"

i love two johns
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby shantih » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:17 pm

you ever write in?

shantih

Postby lunatic96 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:52 pm

I think mike did.

So instead of studying for my finals yesterday, I rode my bike 30 miles up the coast highway. Probably wasn't the smartest idea, but it was really nice to get a good ride in. Between school, weather, and work I haven't really been able to spend any length of time on a bike.

lunatic96

Postby board ghost » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:57 pm

yeha mike did.

he used the name "unbadhat"

i havent written in. i will at some point probably.

i did my monthly estes park ride yesaterday. except the upper section of the road was entirely snowpacked and it was snowing.

i had my new studs though (schwalbe marathon winters), and they were awesome.

i wasnt planning to ride to estes when i left the house so i was terrible underprepared- food, water, clothes etc.

it was really hard but really satisfying when i finished.
There’s no path to a satisfying conclusion at this point.

board ghost

Postby shantih » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Last edited by shantih on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

shantih

Postby SALEM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:25 pm

shantih et badhat,

gimme your top three tips for winter city riding. virgin breaking this year.

number one on my list right now is mud guards. my fucking back man. i'm all crusty punk.

SALEM

Postby dragon jeans » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:34 pm

What city and bike are we talking about? It makes a difference.
• no customer service

dragon jeans

Postby SALEM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:35 pm

Montreal.

SALEM

Postby iambic » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:35 pm

i ride my tricycle without a seat... :lol:
iambic

Postby shantih » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:36 pm

i know badhat will say raceblades (fenders) are crucial

shantih

Postby SALEM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:36 pm

So include bomb craters in the road along with all the white stuff.

This is a stupid idea isn't it (I'm broke) :

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Bike-Bicycle-Front-R ... 5ad594806d

SALEM

Postby dragon jeans » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:43 pm

what bike?
• no customer service

dragon jeans

Postby SALEM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:50 pm

piece of shit mountain bike that was dumped (again, i'm broke) in front of my gf's place on the first day of snow.

i know i should be on a thin wheeled cycle but $$$ is tight. i'm having a shit load of fun though. i think 80% of montreal winter riders are on proper bikes. the rest are me and old, white bearded dudes on thick treaded walmarts.

SALEM

Postby dragon jeans » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Well, you don't necessarily need a road bike, but if it was dumped in front of your GFs apartment, the first thing I would do is take it to your local shop and get it checked out. Little things like a new chain and cables are cheap and crucial in terms of simply having a bike that's safe to ride.

As far as winter cycling, full fenders do help. I don't even think sks makes raceblades for mountain bikes, so don't bother with that. But the regular Planet Bike full fenders are just fine. Make sure you know your tire width and wheel size before you buy anything. If you don't buy in accordance to those specs, the fenders won't fit right. Also, look at the clearance you have between your seat stay and the tire. You need to make sure there is enough room here for full fenders to fit without 1) rubbing on the tires and 2) impeding the brakes.

The second thing I would do (if you plan on riding a lot in the snow/ice), is get some new tires. If the bike was abandoned, the tires are probably have dry rot and are not really going to do you any favors. Again, I'd recommend going to your local bike shop and asking for advice, since they can 1) see your bike and make sure things will fit and 2) point you to the right gear based on your needs and skill level.

The final thing is make sure you have warm winter gear: gloves/mittens, tights, a nice jacket, baklava, etc... that kind of stuff you'll just have to feel out, but I always recommending looking at an army surplus store. You may not look like you're ready for the catwalk, but you can find some pretty decent, utilitarian gear on the cheap.
• no customer service

dragon jeans

Postby flimflam » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:06 pm

i was looking for this thread yesterday because i saw an asian kid riding around on a black fixed gear with yellow deep v's in dc. but im pretty sure michael can't be around here, right?
flimflam

Postby SALEM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 pm

thanks dragon jeans.

yeah. i think a visit to the shop is in order. i've almost got all my clothing down pat. just need a balaclava. wearing my sisters old winter tights with shorts over them. i look fucking nuts ridiculous but don't care.

the best advice i think i heard (and i'm not sucking dick here - i dunno where else to look for bike advice) was bad hat saying just think about the front wheel and the back will follow.

this is my second winter in a city with snow and i am really glad i made this decision. fights the winter depression me thinks. esp in a city like mtl which is super bike-able, it's a shame more people aren't doing it. but then again i haven't ridden in minus a billion with a gale blowing.

SALEM

Postby lights » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:19 pm

What's the best way to transport a bike long distances? I might be moving from Kentucky up to Massachusetts sometime in the near future, and am unsure as to how to pack my bike. My car would be too full of stuff to get it inside the car, so if I really don't have to get it inside the car that'd make my life much easier. Would a rooftop rack be better than a tailgate rack? Would it be prohibitively expensive to just ship the bike? (I ride an old Peugeot, I'm not right around it so I can't tell you much more than that).

lights

Postby lunatic96 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:23 pm

I can't imagine it would be cheaper/less of a headache to ship a bike than to just buy a tailgate rack to attach your bike to. Not to mention you can re-use the rack.

lunatic96

Postby mike » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:08 pm

yeah i wrote two johns. it was oddly thrilling having them read the email, which is pretty dorkish considering.

did like 11 miles on my lemond this weekend (down to my friend's brewery) and then after watching them install tanks for a while i decided to just catch a ride home since my girlfriend was there anyway.

got a slow leak on the back tire.

started the savings for the next bike and wondering if it makes more sense to spend 3k on a pinarello or a merckx or just buy the steel bike. i think i'll wait till the money's close, go ride some carbon bikes, see if i fall in love with any of them, and if not go ahead and have the steel bike built.

either way i'm gonna seriously cut into my vacation money for the year and i'm not sure if that's a good idea.

i kinda dig this, though..

retired

mike

Postby i was drunk last night » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:12 pm

hey chicago dudes, i'm getting pretty excited for my first critical mass as a chicago citizen, and it happens to be on christmas day. anybody want to ride it with me? i'll be working my way through some bourbon county stout and a bottle of beam since my wife and i can't afford to go home, and really just want something memorable about an otherwise bla holiday. if y'all got no family or nothin to do, lets ride.
lights wrote:I love my country too much to not blow my money on bourbon and bike related products.

i was drunk last night

Postby i was drunk last night » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:16 pm

shantih, the swrv's came today, and i gotta say they're a work of art. there was really no reason to use them today because by the time i was ready to ride it stopped raining. but i tried em on, very comfy, looked at the seams, etc and was very pleased. i'll let you know more this week as we're supposed to get some more rain and generally shitty weather. also picked up some seal skinz (http://www.sealskinz.com/) in lieu of buying goretex shoes. i don't know if this is a concern of anyones, but they're fucking awesome. well worth the money.
lights wrote:I love my country too much to not blow my money on bourbon and bike related products.

i was drunk last night

Postby robleb » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:22 pm

I've been riding on a Specialized Toupe for about 6 months now. I took it off the bike and noticed that the right side is significantly lower than the left. My low back had been giving me trouble and I wonder if this is why. Anyone else have experience with Specialized warranty stuff. I don't know if I did it to the saddle or if it did it to me.

robleb

Postby sterno » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:45 pm

for a few months my schedule will only allow commuting every other week.

losing your rhythm is a real big bad beat down.

sterno

Postby moon unit » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:29 am

what's up thread.

what do you think of this bike for like $1k? handmade steel and campy chorus / suntour superbe.

and how much are those wheels worth? are they too fragile to ride in the city?

moon unit

Postby Architecture » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:43 am

badhat, somebody stole my username already. can you please fix this?
try the data then reply
Architecture
ok

Postby islands are forever. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:47 am

about to get rid of this

ddib.

islands are forever.

Postby i was drunk last night » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:03 am

i have a buddy who is talking bout buying almost that exact bike back home.

i was drunk last night

Postby islands are forever. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:14 am

i was drunk last night wrote:i have a buddy who is talking bout buying almost that exact bike back home.

its suited me for a while but i've lost all will to ride fixed anymore but just for looks i like the new 2010
ddib.

islands are forever.

Postby i was drunk last night » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:18 am

i'm pretty happy riding single speeds. i love coasting. coasting is great.

i was drunk last night

Next

Return to Aguachile Alley