Roguelike thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby pablito » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:03 am

Since by 2016 all games will have upgraded to a Roguelikelike™ model Invisible Inc might be not entirely appropriate for this thread but it's seriously so well done already that even if they ceased development it would be worth the price. So fun and well designed.
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Location: chicago illinois, pm me for address, come fucking fight me*

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:27 am

might have to take a break
Gnome Sane

Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:39 pm

biggest thing i took away from that is that you really don't need to worry about running out of items
Gnome Sane

Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby wakeman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Damn dude nice, looks like you've got a shit ton of 15-rune games. My main goal now is to do 15 as an octopode. Got to Hell with a OpCj but was too weak to survive Hell's wrath. Been having luck with OpTms of Chei but damn the margin of error there is slim.

wakeman

Postby wakeman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Also just did 15 runes as a Deep Dwarf Fighter of Mahkleb and aside from the early game and the Tomb that is basically easy mode.

wakeman

Postby fuckyoudad » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Are roguelikes a good or bad idea if I need some study break gamin
Note: mildly comedic.

fuckyoudad

Postby pablito » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:13 pm

theyre real good for that
powder is a good coffeebreak one
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Postby fuckyoudad » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Nice, I have that one on my psp

fuckyoudad

Postby Potty » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:20 pm

Doom RL is my favorite short roguelike
http://doom.chaosforge.org
Fuck being hard, Petty is complicated. ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

╰( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・゚Started from the bottom (US) now we're here (UK)

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Potty » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:58 am

Does anybody like ADOM? It's probably the roguelike I'd most like to try but am intimidated by

I've been reading the Silmarillion so it has me really wanting to conquer Sil (Which is the most Tolkien-like of roguelikes and I think it gets the atmosphere down perfect)

NOTICE: I do not own, nor am I owned. Stop trying to drag me into your FUCKED UP hegemony ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby compatibility mode » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:31 am

never played it but why dont you just download it and double click. no reason to be intimidated.

compatibility mode

Postby Potty » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:51 am

I've played a couple of hours of it already, but I've never got past the first couple dungeons.

There's a ton of shit to know. The handbook is like 100 pages long

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby rap and country » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Sil looks pretty intriguing but i just don't think i can do ASCII

(always used tiles for angband)

rap and country
ok

Postby Potty » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:03 am

There's always Brogue for beautiful ASCII (Seriously, it's great, but you may have already tried it) but I think Sil's ASCII graphics are very pretty for being super traditional

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby zamboni » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:55 pm

gonna try this guy out later tonight

Image Image
Image Image
http://www.asciisector.net

zamboni

Postby Potty » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:44 am

Things are getting stewy at the Roguelike subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comm ... _lot_more/

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby pablito » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Caves of Qud is so, so good. I haven't enjoyed a new rl this much since cataclysm dda. It's idiosyncratic like nethack but also way more character buildy

pablito

Postby ZONKER » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Timely bump pabmigo, I've decided to get back into gaming and my shitty laptop can only play PS1 ~*~and before~*~ emulators and rougelikes (I get you can't run Dark Souls, but Shovel Knight? Really, dude?)

So far I got DoomRL, Spelunky, DCSS (had to Google what that stood for), the OG Desktop Dungeons, and a giant French folder of rougelikes... kinda on the casual side but whatevs. When I saw that Desktop Dungeons got an ugly update I was fuckin' pissed until I found the original, I put soooo much work in on my last PC and still didn't unlock all the classes :ugeek:
Image Image Image Image Image
Shotfrog wrote:These horrible, despicable people make it so far in life, and last night I was eating kraft mac and cheese straight out of the pan with a wooden spoon.

ZONKER

Postby Potty » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:22 pm

I bought Caves of Qud immediately and then haven't touched it. I really need to quit my job and girlfriend and just game

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Potty » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Just discovered this dude doing a series called "30 Minutes of Umoria"

He painstakingly runs through games of Umoria (Moria an early roguelike ported to Unix) and explains every single thing. I find it pretty hypnotizing.

Be warned though it's not for people who are in a hurry, he opens up the ? menu and explains what every single command does. Skip to around 19 in this to get to the part where he starts actually playing.

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Potty » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:07 am

There's a new version of Dynahack out, which as far as I'm concerned is the best way to play Nethack.

https://tung.github.io/DynaHack/2016/02/18/dynahack-0-6-0-released/

It's a more streamlined and player/2016 friendly version of the game and probably the best looking ASCII version of Nethack imo

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Potty » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:03 pm

I saved all the roguelikes I like/have some dream of playing to a zip and uploaded to mediafire, so I thought I'd share it here in case anybody wants it too.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tht1sqdvt997s7q/Roguelikes.zip

It's got these games in it:

There's some big ones missing from here but it's because I got them on steam

No version number mostly means it's the newest version available.

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:51 pm

ZONKER wrote:Timely bump pabmigo, I've decided to get back into gaming and my shitty laptop can only play PS1 ~*~and before~*~ emulators and rougelikes (I get you can't run Dark Souls, but Shovel Knight? Really, dude?)

So far I got DoomRL, Spelunky, DCSS (had to Google what that stood for), the OG Desktop Dungeons, and a giant French folder of rougelikes... kinda on the casual side but whatevs. When I saw that Desktop Dungeons got an ugly update I was fuckin' pissed until I found the original, I put soooo much work in on my last PC and still didn't unlock all the classes :ugeek:

new desktop dungeons is ugly but still really good, lots of good content added. def a top 5 game for me.

dcss is easily my most played game of all time. if you don't mind tiles i heavily recommend just playing online through webtiles. you have an account that carries over multiple servers, an insane amount of stats are logged automatically (with great leaderboards and competitions through the forums), you can spectate games live and save and play on other computers. it's ridiculous how smooth an experience it is for free. you can play online in ascii, but it means fucking with Putty etc. here's a link anyway

https://crawl.develz.org/play.htm
Gnome Sane

Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby Potty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:02 am

I'm gonna make this thread work if it's the last thing I do.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/333640/discussions/0/350542145699485657/

:Extremely nerd snark:

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby fuckyoudad » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:06 am

Saw you playing some rogue like on steam the other day, how was it?

fuckyoudad

Postby Potty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:07 am

It was probably that game actually. Caves of Qud is really great, but super obtuse, it takes a long time to understand what to do but I read some guides and read about good character builds before going and I was having a lot of fun. I've hardly been anywhere but the world building is really great and unique.

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby fuckyoudad » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:08 am

Oh yes, it was. Cool

fuckyoudad

Postby Potty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:10 am

If you (or anybody) gets it, I have a good beginner class build that got me pretty far (I didn't create it, someone on the Bay12Forums recommended it). The character select screen has a crazy amount of detail and mutations to choose from but one cool thing is you can save a character you create as a code and just reapply it and share it

Potty
P-Nut's biggest fan

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:19 am

i've played a bit of caves of qud and really liked it. need to put a bit more time in and actually learn the mechanics, it's pretty much the only rl that i'm interested in the lore etc.
Gnome Sane

Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby pablito » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:32 pm

Petty wrote:Just discovered this dude doing a series called "30 Minutes of Umoria"

He painstakingly runs through games of Umoria (Moria an early roguelike ported to Unix) and explains every single thing. I find it pretty hypnotizing.

Be warned though it's not for people who are in a hurry, he opens up the ? menu and explains what every single command does. Skip to around 19 in this to get to the part where he starts actually playing.

good post. i watched this a few days ago and it totally reignited my true-blue roguelike addiction, been playing a lot of dcss

pablito

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley