Wine Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby gentleman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:23 pm

pokethedoke wrote:Condrieu "Les Terrasses de l'Empire", Dom. Georges Vernay - 2014 this is 56.99$ on astor. Originally 96$. I've never even heard of it, but that is a lot of money.

saw that. if you're going to spent $50 or more in the nothern rhone, get cote rotie, cornas or something better than condrieu.

gentleman

Postby funkfunkfunk » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:47 pm

gentleman wrote:
pokethedoke wrote:Condrieu "Les Terrasses de l'Empire", Dom. Georges Vernay - 2014 this is 56.99$ on astor. Originally 96$. I've never even heard of it, but that is a lot of money.

saw that. if you're going to spent $50 or more in the nothern rhone, get cote rotie, cornas or something better than condrieu.

condrieu is a white wine bud
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing

funkfunkfunk

Postby dosbrains » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:58 pm

condrieu owns IMO

dosbrains

Postby Big Oil » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm

seeing a lot of NY-based content

any K&L heads in this thread?

Big Oil

Postby gentleman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:47 pm

funkfunkfunk wrote:
gentleman wrote:

condrieu is a white wine bud

ooof...my bad then. i dont even drink white wines generally.

had this the other day though...a natural gruner veltliner no less

http://www.jennyandfrancois.com/wines-2 ... s-warnung/

gentleman

Postby funkfunkfunk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:14 pm

dosbrains wrote:condrieu owns IMO

It can be a bit flabby but when it's done right it rips for sure.
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing

funkfunkfunk

Postby pokethedoke » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Love a good gruner. I think I'm sticking strictly to kermit lynch wines from now on. The wines he distributes are extremely reliable. We got about 12 bottles from the store and some were hit and miss didn't love any except his.

pokethedoke

Postby gentleman » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:11 pm

louis dressner seems to be my most reliable distributor...last night, i went to frenchette with some friends and then terroir for a drink afterwards...i think 3/4 bottles we bought were louis dressner imports.

still not a natural wine lover but the three bottles i had at frenchette were pretty awesome. a 2008 aglianico that was very funky but solid, la luna...a bottle i posted a few pages back...and a catalunya blend. i think the three bottles we had were some of the least expensive on their menu and very solid.

gentleman

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:01 am

Frederick Wildman, Kermit Lynch, Louis Dressner, and Scuola di Vino are the best in my opinion. Fifi imports has very cheap, but very good wines too. He runs ten bells.

pokethedoke

Postby bruceagain » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:10 am

condrieu is all over the shop like most AOPs but of cotes de rhones styles i think it outperforms most
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby bruceagain » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:11 am

It's also super cheap there ime
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.

bruceagain

Postby bruceagain » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:14 am

Cornas is incredibly difficult to navigate as a foreigner

bruceagain

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:35 am

Cheap where? any store specifically? what's a good price range for it?

pokethedoke

Postby funkfunkfunk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Condrieu doesn't really outperform other rhone whites because it is stylistically completely different on account of being 100% Viognier, mostly with some new oak maturation. The rest of the rhone (whites) aare marsanne/rousanne based. It's a high-alcohol, densely perfumed and tropically flavoured wine that stuggles to keep enough acidity to stay balanced. Chateau Grillet is a monopoly appelation within condrieu that makes longer-lived, higher acid wines also from 100% viognier, but they sell for hundreds of bucks retail. Like most of the northern rhone, there is relatively low production so you get what you pay for, expect to pay 50$ for a standard bottleing, more for better cuvees. North rhone is still a steal price/quality compared to burgundy.

Who did you see in Cornas bruce? I've always wanted to bike the valley

funkfunkfunk

Postby bruceagain » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 pm

clape (rip), courbis and perrin but i was there in summer and things were quiet
as i said, my impression is that they often are there

bruceagain

Postby bruceagain » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:33 pm

I can strongly reccomend cycling the rhone valley

bruceagain

Postby bruceagain » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

And yes, subtlety of palate is not a condrieu strong suite but i meant to say that its like alsatian riesling,easy to find a nice caricature if nothing else

bruceagain

Postby funkfunkfunk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Ah man Clape is on my list for sure. Tell me more about your trip! did you stay in Vienne?

funkfunkfunk

Postby dosbrains » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 pm

while we are still on northern rhone, drinking a saint cosme saint joseph right now. kinda fat in a new world direction, does the job but not really what I'm buying northern rhone for.

dosbrains

Postby gentleman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:45 pm

the owner of chambers street wines was kind enough to sell me some pierre gonon 2015s for cost when i told him i got married that year and saving some nice bottles. very cool of him to do so.

even though i love clape and allemand, i find both very overpriced and really coasting on name. chave as well...its the best but not for $500.

my score from a few weeks ago was 4 bottles of balthazar chaillot cornas from 2009 for $45 a bottle at some random nyc liquor store. opened up one already and it was really excellent. cornas is a bit more rustic than i prefer but its awesome...particularly in the winter.

going to provence next year on vacation but wont go further north than gigondas. i was contemplating a 2 hour drive to northern rhone but its not a wine trip really.

gentleman

Postby funkfunkfunk » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:27 pm

gentleman wrote:the owner of chambers street wines was kind enough to sell me some pierre gonon 2015s for cost when i told him i got married that year and saving some nice bottles. very cool of him to do so.

even though i love clape and allemand, i find both very overpriced and really coasting on name. chave as well...its the best but not for $500.

my score from a few weeks ago was 4 bottles of balthazar chaillot cornas from 2009 for $45 a bottle at some random nyc liquor store. opened up one already and it was really excellent. cornas is a bit more rustic than i prefer but its awesome...particularly in the winter.

going to provence next year on vacation but wont go further north than gigondas. i was contemplating a 2 hour drive to northern rhone but its not a wine trip really.

that's an awesome deal. If you like a more delicate, high-toned style of syrah check out Vincent Paris. He's also based in Cornas, but his wines hover around 13% and are elegant and floral though sometimes a bit volatile.

I feel you on the price of clape, even his second wine is crazy expensive here in Canada, but Chave is worth the money IMO as again you are getting wine of a quality that would be two or three times as expensive if it were in burgundy or bordeaux, or hell california.

funkfunkfunk

Postby pink snake » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:08 am

Had my first glass of orange wine over the weekend. Really liked it. What are some good budget-friendly orange wines to buy at the store? I typically buy my wine at Trader Joe's and Astor Wines.

pink snake

Postby pokethedoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

http://www.cornalidivino.it/upload/imag ... grillo.jpg
this is my fav orange wine. It's like $30 a bottle and hard to find though.

I also like Cazottes orange wine.

https://www.vivino.com/philippe-tessier ... /w/1217873
this was good according to my notes. I have no idea if its orange

pokethedoke

Postby pokethedoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Le coste bianchetto 2014 & 2016 are like 25. The Laurent Cazottes Mauzac Rose is skin contact and fire. Paolo Bea skin contact is super expensive and not good. Cos Pithos Bianco isn't bad. La Stoppa Ageno is very good

pokethedoke

Postby pokethedoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 pm

How do you guys arrange tasting notes? I can hardly remember what I've dranken. sometimes I put a rating in vivino but otherwise I won't even recall the wine.

pokethedoke

Postby pink snake » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:02 pm

is there an orange wine section at astor wines?

pink snake

Postby pokethedoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Ask

pokethedoke

Postby Jake SPEED » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:06 pm

gentleman wrote:the owner of chambers street wines was kind enough to sell me some pierre gonon 2015s for cost when i told him i got married that year and saving some nice bottles. very cool of him to do so.

The Gonon I’ve had has been pretty great but paying 2x what i paid two years ago isn’t palatable. Nice score for you on the 15s though. I break all my rules for Chave because nothing compares. 10 years ago, everyone talked about cornas as a rustic hamburger wine. I haven’t had Allemand (Clape is fine) but I certainly am not going to pay close to Chave prices for any Cornas. If you care about speculating financially on wine, I think northern Rhône is a pretty good place to do it given the volumes—not going to condone that behavior though!

I bought a six pack of the Balthazar chaillot 2015 but haven’t tried any yet. Also splurged on a few jaboulet La Chapelle...
Jake SPEED

Postby gentleman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:00 pm

not into jaboulet anything. it just seems rather mass produced. arent they negocients and dont grow their own grapes? i once bought a jaboulet hermitage or cote rotie if i recall at a steakhouse for a work event. it sucked. i also got food poisoning that night from eating bad oysters but i digress.

saint joseph has so much acreage, i just cant contemplate spending $$$ on it. i have an alain graillot 2015 saint joseph that i dont really see much anymore. crozes hermitage is another bit of a joke. its fine for $15-25/bottle but thats about it.

agree with you on cornas...particularly allemand. ill get it when i find random deals. i think you can find some surprises at random wine shops outside of nyc/la/san fran. years ago, cornas was found near the cotes du rhone section. im waiting for the day i find a clape at some liquor store in baltimore for $40.

i just love syrah more than any other grape. and i love that it's winter again so i can drink my favorite stuff.

gentleman

Postby Jake SPEED » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Jaboulet is second largest landowner in Hermitage behind Chapoutier and owns and farms almost twice as much as Chave. Some of their lower tier negoce bottlings are a bit hit or miss but their domain bottlings in crozes hermitage and saint joseph are good. La Chapelle is a legend that lives forever
Jake SPEED

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley