Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Marza » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:50 pm

wow cj I love those dresses. :o

kinda tempted... do you think a waifish young man could one of them off?
Last edited by Marza on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marza

Postby mercenaries of slime » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:51 pm

port wrote:
mercenaries of slime wrote:
port wrote:Less looking forward to making a phone call to cancel the VIP membership :roll:

haha i've been putting that off for days now

I set an alert on my phone to remember to skip the month so i'll keep it for a bit just to see what they've got but COME ON A PHONE CALL????

it's how they get ya!
mercenaries of slime

Postby galactagogue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 pm

mercenaries of slime wrote:have any of you tried out savage x fenty bralettes?

they're having a deal rn and i'm considering getting two, but the size charts are so disappointing and dunno if i'll fit into any of these

damnit slime !!!! i wasn't planning to splurge on new bras and panties rn lol
I know what you did last summer, but i just don't give a shit
galactagogue

Postby port » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 pm

mancubz wrote:yeah i have a few. buy smaller than they suggest.
really love the microfiber one.

The microfiber set is bangin'. So goddamn comfortable. I hope they come out with more prints.

I also kept a pair of what are essentially sexy granny panties. Fishnet, high-waist, lacy... but they go up to my belly button. Strangely sexy!
port

Postby Merciel » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:34 am

edit
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby port » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:05 am

C'mon Merciel, I know you've got opinions on lingerie!
port

Postby Merciel » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:26 am

I do but that post was about handbags and how I think they reflect on situationally based, totally understandable personal insecurities and on reflection I was like: eh, no.

I have neither any personal experience with nor any opinion on the bralettes in question.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby wendy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:06 pm

do y'all have experience with getting everyday clothes tailored? not even like pants hemmed i mean like shirts and dresses actually taken in or out to flatter your body type

do you reckon if i got a t shirt tailored the right way it could disguise the fact that my body is a rectangle and give the illusion of curves?

what’s the cost on minor alterations

should i start with my nicer garments first even though i wear them less? i feel like normally that would be a given but last year i unintentionally lost like 15 pounds and then in the last three months i gained back 5 so i'm hesitant to fuck with my nicer clothes because i don't really have a solid plan for maintaining or gaining back that weight so idk what size i'm gonna be in six months or a year

is there any benefit to getting like a forever 21 sundress tailored? i can usually wear them for 2 or 3 summers before they fall apart

for real all my clothes are big on me now and i just wanna look like i have boobs and a waist help me out

[extremely john mayer voice] MY BODY IS A RECTANGLE
wendy

Postby Merciel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:52 pm

I get stuff tailored all the time. I'm actually about to make a trek back to my old dry cleaner with an armload of stuff because the new dry cleaner is fine at dry cleaning but not so great at alterations, and I don't want them messing up my vintage suits.

Essentially any dry cleaner should be able to handle basic alterations, and getting cheap stuff altered is a good way to test the waters and see if you like the results enough to alter your expensive clothes. Having said that, there's only so much that soft/slouchy cloth (like T-shirts) is going to hold any shape on its own, so if your Forever 21 dresses are super soft then it may be trickier to get the results you want.

Tying stuff in at the waist with a belt so that it blouses above and below the belt might also give you an idea of how things will look, shape-wise, if you go for fitted waists and less fitted everything else.

fwiw I'm pretty rectangular myself, and sheath dresses are my salvation.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby galactagogue » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:00 pm

we should all just pad for the gods like a nascent drag queen.
galactagogue

Postby theta » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:27 pm

i get stuff tailored a lot because i buy a lot of vintage clothes that need tweaking

some requests i've made:
take up the hem on dresses and skirts
take in waist and side seams on a skirt
take in the side seams on an a-line sleeveless shirt that made me look triangular
taper the legs on paperbag dress pants
taper jacket sleeves
reweaving to fix moth holes
add loops of thread for a belt to a dress

the more realistic alterations focus on existing seams. it would be easy for a tailor to take in a waist on a garment that already has the appropriate seams, but they probably would not agree to take on a project taking in a waist in a garment that does not have one. for that i second merciel's recommendation of wearing a belt.
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby theta » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:33 pm

also in my experience i have been unimpressed by alterations done at dry cleaning places. my tailor now does not offer dry cleaning.
hologram wrote:also music is done and already happened so enjoy all that Sisters of Mercy while you can
theta

Postby Merciel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Yeah, I think I got lucky randomly chancing upon a dry cleaning shop that did good alterations (and, probably not coincidentally, is not super awesome at dry cleaning).

I have had considerably worse results with tailoring at all other dry cleaners, hence taking a long trek back to the original place even though we moved.

Having said that, if you're new to alterations and are just trying to see how things look in the cheap version to decide whether it's worth investing time and money into the expensive version, a dry cleaner/tailor should suffice to give you a general idea of whether it's worth the trouble to look for that. But I don't disagree with theta at all.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby wendy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:28 am

Thank you guys so much :}
wendy

Postby theta » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:47 am

some stuff i've bought over the past year or so and been very happy with

i had this taken in and shortened to fit me

deadstock sunnies

giant star earrings

sweater dress

i had the hemline shortened to above the knee. it has POCKETS

$200 loeffler randall rain boots which i got for $20 on the 'bay

anne klein wool wrap blouse which had been ravaged by moths before my tailor came to the rescue

and, as if my prayers were answered, an almost identical top in black
theta

Postby port » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:02 am

I work in close proximity to a wardrobe department so I get my shit tailored all the time. As a short girl it's fucking necessary!
port

Postby port » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Does anyone have any sneakers they like? I hate everything about the aesthetic of sneakers but like... sometimes you need to wear them for a long walk through the woods or a bike ride. I've had one pair for solidly 3 years that are finally falling apart and must be replaced. Is anyone else in this boat? What do you wear when you have to wear them? As a younger port I just wore Converse for all activities but older me needs slightly more support.
port

Postby Merciel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:17 am

A while ago BlackSugar recommended ASIC gels and I was like "sold!" and have just been buying a new pair every year since 2014 or whenever.

They're not ultra awesome but they're perfectly functional sneakers that do everything I need sneakers to do, and if you don't give a shit about the color you can usually get whatever color is least popular in that model for like $40 on sale.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Merciel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:17 am

I guess that's not exactly a glowing recommendation but seriously they're totally fine and they cost forty bucks and sneakers are one wardrobe element that I just cannot give a shit about, because if I'm wearing sneakers at all, it's a guarantee that I'm in beat-to-shit dog walking mode already.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby donna martin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 am

For just everyday walking, I really like my wool all birds. They're $95, so a bit pricier. But I like that they don't have enormous logos on them and they're very comfy for running errands and travel (keep my feet warm, which are always cold on planes).

Do you like lighter weight ones or want more ankle support? Do you just need something all purpose?
donna martin

Postby mercenaries of slime » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:07 am

i really want these:

they are so out of my budget though

superga made good casual trainers and you can easily slip gel insoles in them for arch support

especially if you only want them for light activities

alternatively, new balance are really comfy too
mercenaries of slime

Postby mancubz » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:15 am

Oh shit I love those sneakies
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby mancubz » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 am

I have been real lazy lately and hate putting tights back on after the gym so all I wanna wear is black jeans and black shirts every day but I can’t because then there’s literally NO difference between me and a cartoon character
Stuntman wrote:This is what happens when you're an adolescent and you don't have a forest or the internet.

Johan POOPLER wrote: i'd rather live another 50 years with an untouched nutsack than be rent from the platonic embrace of my sweet, beloved bitch.
mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

Postby galactagogue » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:57 am

i like palladiums. they are aesthetically more prominent tho. im a hi-tops person for the most part and it's rare that i wear non hi top sneakers.

for something less rugged but still very comfy i like my reeboks
galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:57 am

also my palladiums were 40$ on zappos and have lasted me at least 3 yrs now with one tiiiiny tear in the canvas, still going otherwise.
galactagogue

Postby shrinemaidens » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:39 am

nikes or keds feel better on my flatter feet
shrinemaidens

Postby port » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:11 pm

galactagogue wrote:i like palladiums. they are aesthetically more prominent tho. im a hi-tops person for the most part and it's rare that i wear non hi top sneakers.

for something less rugged but still very comfy i like my reeboks

I might actually give both of these a try. I think the Palladium's will feel like too much shoe for me but maybe not? And the Reeboks are simple and inoffensive which is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
port

Postby mercenaries of slime » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:55 pm

do any of you know where i can buy this or something similar

edit: never mind i found a place

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/277211842/long-sleeved-latex-leotard
mercenaries of slime

Postby donna martin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:24 am

first of all i very much support a latex body suit.

second of all, it's spring in DC and I've decided i need to adopt kaftan life around the house.

not sure my pale skin can pull this orange off, but i dig it.
donna martin

Postby mancubz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:35 am

It was a million degrees yesterday so I got a wild looking one of those from a vintage store and it was definitely a great choice

mancubz
BAD BITCH ALERT

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....