The flute scene is ripe for a YouTube 5 hr super cut
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Big Oil » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Man this sure did suck.
Big Oil

Postby barrier » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Big Oil wrote:Man this sure did suck.

finally watched this. i found myself thinking of purposeful, world-building reasons for why the characters act so stupidly. Their technology is clearly very nice, but every person on that trip came off as untrained, so I have to assume that human technology has progressed to such a point that even the sophisticated technology we see in the movie is affordable, obtainable, and operable by the dumbest of idiots and a few beautiful 20-somethings. Those 2,000 or so colonists must have booked a budget agency to transport them to their new home, imo :ugeek:

the sails on their ship in the beginning reminded me of the ancient bajoran ship sisko builds in ds9 lol
barrier

Postby dr. badvibes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:13 pm

this was (and could have continued being) a great space survival movie up until any of the franchise/lore stuff started happening

is there anyone out there even attempting to stitch the threads of this dumb universe together anymore? linksss? because i have no idea

there are engineers, who are aliens with overlapping DNA to humans, and they made a biological weapon to exterminate humans (?), but they lost control of it and fucked themselves, but they beamed a starmap to earth to get earthlings to come to the bioweapon planet for some reason even though it was presumably thought to be safe before it got fucked, and later humanity forgot the starmap data (?), and the engineers forgot about their bioweapon but kept chilling on their home planet, possibly with one mostly ceremonial stone city of a few thousand inhabitants who don't have anti-air defense or radios or IFF pingers, and the DNA bioweapon is sometimes one molecule of goo that absorbs into the skin but other times it needs to be an egg that spawns a critter that implants an egg into a host that spawns a critter, and at some point an engineer ship with a bioweapon infection (but the critter kind not the goomolecule kind) crashes on a different planet

i'm going to watch Prometheus again (which was way worse than this, how dare some of you) and hope it is fractionally improved by a better understanding of David's goals, but it's tragic that this series about a scary parasitic alien species is now about a pretentious robot (who quotes poetry and plays music) trying to replace humanity with a "better" organism that has no apparent culture
dr. badvibes

Postby number none » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:23 pm

man you just reminded of the scene where David arrives at the planet and all the dumbass Engineers are just looking up at him in slack-jawed wonder

I really fucking hate the Engineers
number none

Postby number none » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm

to go from Giger's original designs to that
number none

Postby Fullscreen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:25 pm

the engineers apparently did their thing 70000 years ago on earth, nevermind billions of years of geologic and fossil record that would contradict the idea of life spontaneously appearing on earth in the very recent geological past (??????????????)
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby Fullscreen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm

prometheus really sucks.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby dr. badvibes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 pm

number none wrote:man you just reminded of the scene where David arrives at the planet and all the dumbass Engineers are just looking up at him in slack-jawed wonder

I really fucking hate the Engineers

having subjected myself to that only last night, i must propose correcting "slack-jawed wonder" to "excited, reverent anticipation (slack-jawed)"

they actually wave to the ship, some docking cradle hovers out to get it, they gather in the middle of town to welcome it... to welcome this formerly dry-docked ship that was hijacked and is making an unscheduled return

and when david does his bombs they all come off, like, special impressive-CGI bomb racks and fall through the bomb door. was this ship a bomber? are these idiot bumpkin engineers waving to an unannounced, non-communicative bomber that suddenly parked above their town?
dr. badvibes

Postby Rhodes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Perhaps my dad was right all along re: the stupidity of engineers.
Rhodes

Postby dr. badvibes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Fullscreen wrote:prometheus really sucks.

1hr into the rewatch and it's even worse than i remembered

it still kills me that this team of "scientists" sent on the most important mission of discovery in history act with less aplomb and discipline than any 12 people selected at random from a mall food court at 1:30pm on a saturday
dr. badvibes

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:56 pm

dr. badvibes wrote:any 12 people selected at random from a mall food court at 1:30pm on a saturday

The Motors Method
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby Science » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:32 pm

Finally watched Covenant.

Objectively, it might be worse that Prometheus.

Just so sloppy. I think this is the first time I felt pity for a film.
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby Comrade Jeb » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:48 pm

i'm gonna go back and read the thread after i post this, but i watched this a couple days ago as a big fan of prometheus, and was really let down. i didn't have the highest expectations going into it because i wanted an actual prometheus sequel, and this felt like a studio-mandated vhs-slasher level alien flick haphazardly constructed around a film ridley scott made about two android michael fassbenders. i mean, i couldn't have been more unimpressed in a literal sense of the word by any of the crew members, particularly the ripley substitute, who did nothing and seemed to feel nothing. i thought the flute scene was the best fucking scene in the whole movie, so i dunno. i have a lot of ranty feelings about this movie tho.
Feech La Manna wrote:I live in a corporate hellworld but at least the X Men and the Avengers are in the same movie
Comrade Jeb

Postby Science » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Why did David assume Walter loved Danny? They had no meaningful interactions the whole movie. I don't think they even spoke to each other in front of David.

Why in the Engineers' ship is Shaw's recording still scrambled? Are all the holograms just very poor quality? Have we seen a working hologram in either movie?

Where did the second xenomorph come from? Wasn't Oram the only one to get a facehugger?

How could they just leave David and Walter's fight unresolved? Did Walter come around? Did David get the upperhand?

Just so many holes.
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby light rail coyote » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 pm

yeah i watched a leak of the bluray this weekend (didn't see it in theaters because i'm perpetually broke and lol if ridley scott thinks i'm gonna pay money for this after prometheus) and it's almost impressive how well this held up to the negative hype.

the first hour-ish before the action starts is fine if only because the locations are gorgeous and the plot set up is mostly just whatever but once the survival stuff starts it immediately goes to hell and never recovers. i liked the alien in the field at night and thought it was relatively well-done chaos but i can't think of a single other thing i liked about the movie. fassbender was good but the way they used him was so awful that it completely canceled out and the "twist" with david killing walter was so obvious and dumb.

i think both of these prequels are really wonderful examples of why not every franchise needs a dense mythology and an origin story. i haven't gone back and read the thread, so i'm guessing others have said this, but there's literally no need for a xenomorph creation story. the idea that the xenomorph is just particularly lethal wild animal that's just out there in the universe surviving by destroying whatever it comes into contact with is a million times more compelling than the idea that it's this magical creature with cosmic significance or some shit. it's also easier for suspension of disbelief because the life cycle is so logical and simple that you can just roll with it as opposed to this completely convoluted nonsense that seems to have no consistent internal logic or coherence.

shit movie
light rail coyote

Postby warmhouse » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm

my housemate worked on this. i have props from it in my house. AMA.
warmhouse

Postby number none » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:45 pm

tell your housemate I hate them
number none

Postby warmhouse » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 pm

it was fun to watch him go to work all excited at first and then start coming home being like "hmm... this movie may suck"

spoiler: the new pacific rim is worse
warmhouse

Postby RIXX » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 pm

warmhouse wrote:my housemate worked on this. i have props from it in my house. AMA.

do you know what he did on set? jw cuz i know the DP, it's a close friend's dad
RIXX

Postby fuckles » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:49 pm

what props are they
Cyril Sneer wrote:INSANE post. I could literally read it for hours.
fuckles

Postby Seamus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:51 pm

do you have a flute?
Raise. Hell. All. Summer. Long.

Seamus

Postby palmer eldritch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:04 pm

did Michael play a little bit of the flute scene on each of a hundred different flutes to give away to the crew like when a president signs an important bill with a lot of pens
palmer eldritch

Postby marble » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm

david playing the flute with the incense burning was v mystic bro and cool as heck
marble

Postby dr. badvibes » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm

Mr. Science wrote:Why did David assume Walter loved Danny? They had no meaningful interactions the whole movie. I don't think they even spoke to each other in front of David.

Why in the Engineers' ship is Shaw's recording still scrambled? Are all the holograms just very poor quality? Have we seen a working hologram in either movie?

Where did the second xenomorph come from? Wasn't Oram the only one to get a facehugger?

How could they just leave David and Walter's fight unresolved? Did Walter come around? Did David get the upperhand?

Just so many holes.

the hologram in Promethus made me so sad and angry

what the fuck was it supposed to be? security footage that plays back in 3D across/within the actual ship-space as whatever it captured? are the engineers infantile fucking idiots?

david vs. walter isn't so much unresolved as an "if we need it" cliffhanger, imo, they'll bring back walter for the rescue mission
dr. badvibes

Postby warmhouse » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm

nonchalant wrote:
warmhouse wrote:my housemate worked on this. i have props from it in my house. AMA.

do you know what he did on set? jw cuz i know the DP, it's a close friend's dad

just random set dressing, some running for the art dept too i think.

there's a bunch of weyland stuff, the same patches that they're wearing on the front of their shirts here he has on his backpack.

i cant find a link to it but there are a wall of plastic shelves in the medical bay and those are all just in my house now which is weird. stickers that lined the walls of the ship like AUTHORISED ACCESS ONLY.

its all just stuff that was on its way to the tip that he kept anyway, but there's one hero prop he still has. hint: its one of those sharp egg things that fassbender holds.

ridley scott said "that looks good" to something he did, fassbender looked at him and smiled once, he met scott eastwood too and has a christmas card from him. or was that pacific rim?
warmhouse

Postby jca » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:47 pm

best dude
jca

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....