What's your vinyl setup like?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby swamp rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 am

seriously though... those speakers are way too big for that room...and the one speaker against the wall like that would be a bass reflection nightmare

swamp rock

Postby swamp rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:41 am

swamp rock

Postby swamp rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:43 am

swamp rock

Postby swamp rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:44 am

swamp rock

Postby powderfinger » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:30 am

swamp rock wrote:seriously though... those speakers are way too big for that room...and the one speaker against the wall like that would be a bass reflection nightmare

I disagree. The room and the speaker placement have problems, but the problems are the same whether the speakers are big or small. What is definitely true is that these speakers have vastly more output than I need (I recently used them to DJ a 50 person wedding lol), but they sound good at regular volumes.

Also, the room is a lot bigger than it looks in that photo because it's half of an open layout kitchen space. I forget the figures, but if you calculate the volume and see what kind of subwoofers are needed to adequately pressurize the space, I'm not far off with dual 15" drivers. When you think of them as subwoofers, the placement is actually pretty good and helps mitigate the room modes.

The biggest problem is with the high frequencies because all of the reflection points are bare wall and the right channel is definitely suffering from being in the corner. I need some acoustic panels for that.

powderfinger

Postby Wrong Titus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:45 am

swamp rock wrote:Image

Sweet Jesus.

This thread makes me feel like Roy Schneider in Jaws, looking down sheepishly at his appendix scar while Hooper and Quint compare shark bites.

Wrong Titus

Postby pink snake » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:30 am

Thinking about buying a record player for a friend for Xmas. I'm gonna buy it at Best Buy for easy returns/exchanges...I think. I want to spend like $250 or less. They only have a few models available...a Denon DP-300F for $200, an Audio Technica AT-LP60 for $90, and another Audio Technica model for $250 that seems too complicated. Any thoughts on this?

pink snake

Postby pink snake » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:37 am

The $250 Audio Technica LP120 does look pretty sweet.

pink snake

Postby Poptone » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 am

pink snake wrote:Thinking about buying a record player for a friend for Xmas. I'm gonna buy it at Best Buy for easy returns/exchanges...an Audio Technica AT-LP60 for $90

do not purchase this table. any table without a weight adjustment is no good.

Poptone
cat fan

Postby pink snake » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 am

What about the Audio Technica LP120? Seems to top a lot of 'best budget turntable' lists.

pink snake

Postby Poptone » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:21 pm

pink snake wrote:What about the Audio Technica LP120? Seems to top a lot of 'best budget turntable' lists.

Yeah, it's a very solid choice

It is an all-manual table, I believe, so you might want to consider if that's something that will trip up your friend or not - tone arm's not gonna pop up and move back to the cradle when the record's finished, nor will it move itself onto the record.

If you think they want something a bit more casual, that Denon is fully automatic but still has tracking force adjustment, anti-skate, etc. Can't vouch for playback quality on it, though.

Poptone
cat fan

Postby pink snake » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks poptone. Think I'm gonna go with the Denon.

pink snake

Postby Poptone » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 pm

np, dude, hope they enjoy it

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Chyet » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Poptone wrote:
pink snake wrote:Thinking about buying a record player for a friend for Xmas. I'm gonna buy it at Best Buy for easy returns/exchanges...an Audio Technica AT-LP60 for $90

love to hear more about this. I've had the blue edition for 3 years or so and its been an absolute champ for my purposes
scrambled my password
Chyet

Postby Poptone » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Chyet wrote:
Poptone wrote:

love to hear more about this. I've had the blue edition for 3 years or so and its been an absolute champ for my purposes

I had an LP60 for a couple years as my entry-level table and there were so many records, both new and used, where the needle would skip for no good reason

Any table without tracking adjustment means you're kind of restricted in what sort of cartridge/stylus set-up you can have, you can't adjust based on record quality, that sort of stuff

I mean, I still have that table but only use it as a reserve if my Pro-Ject or Stanton DJ tables are on the fritz/packed for a show/etc.

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:56 pm

(and I don't like automatics, but that's more of a preference/what purpose are the tables for kinda thing)

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:58 pm

it's also a pretty lightweight model, which is nice for transportation but not so good at protection against vibrations or long-term durability i guess?

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm

i've been putting off getting a new receiver for years, dealing with this 20-year-old Kenwood warhorse that only has a semi-functioning display, no remote recognition, a finicky volume knob, no a busted headphone jack, and hums for hours if unplugged for more than a few minutes. i discovered last night that one of my speaker inputs is developing a persistent hum now as well and that's what's gonna finally push me into purchasing a new one.

not looking forward to dropping $500, give or take, but the old gal is breathing her last i'm afraid.

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Chyet » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:25 pm

oh ok-
so this table has been my starter. It's remained a couple reasons-
-apartment size doesn't allow for a speaker upgrade, I have $80 bookshelf speakers and those feel like pushing it sometimes
-the starter elements have made it cheap to have, and ease of use has won over my wife, who was surprised by the automatic features sound quality, and large physical copies of album art

i haven't experienced any needle jumping except on some bargain bin records of questionable quality

what is the dopest 2nd record player
scrambled my password
Chyet

Postby Chyet » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm

going back i realize this thread is full of this advice
scrambled my password
Chyet

Postby neuartillery » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:43 am

I finally bought a new stylus for my Ortofon 2M Blue (I was way, way past the recommend lifespan), and the new one has some serious issues with distortion / clipping on the right channel during anything remotely full/loud. I checked a whole lot of other potential issues with my system and just switched back to the old stylus, which doesn't have those issues. Is this issue just a break-in time thing? Is it possible I received a bum stylus?

neuartillery

Postby incoherent grunting » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:48 am

I love when people post photos of their vinyl setup
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."

incoherent grunting

Postby brent » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:56 am

same...and cd setup

brent

Postby neta » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 am

neuartillery wrote:I finally bought a new stylus for my Ortofon 2M Blue (I was way, way past the recommend lifespan), and the new one has some serious issues with distortion / clipping on the right channel during anything remotely full/loud. I checked a whole lot of other potential issues with my system and just switched back to the old stylus, which doesn't have those issues. Is this issue just a break-in time thing? Is it possible I received a bum stylus?

that would never be a break-in thing. so it is only during loud passages? sounds like it is not tracking properly. do you have a magnifying glass to check if there is any debris on the stylus tip? make sure the stylus unit is seated properly and that the geometry/vtf/vta are all correct. given that it is a drop in replacement stylus, i am not sure why any of that might change but you never know, they could have changed something in production. other than that, could be just defective.
ImageImageImageImageImage
neta

Postby neuartillery » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:46 am

neta wrote:
neuartillery wrote:I finally bought a new stylus for my Ortofon 2M Blue (I was way, way past the recommend lifespan), and the new one has some serious issues with distortion / clipping on the right channel during anything remotely full/loud. I checked a whole lot of other potential issues with my system and just switched back to the old stylus, which doesn't have those issues. Is this issue just a break-in time thing? Is it possible I received a bum stylus?

that would never be a break-in thing. so it is only during loud passages? sounds like it is not tracking properly. do you have a magnifying glass to check if there is any debris on the stylus tip? make sure the stylus unit is seated properly and that the geometry/vtf/vta are all correct. given that it is a drop in replacement stylus, i am not sure why any of that might change but you never know, they could have changed something in production. other than that, could be just defective.

It's most noticeable during loud passages, I only tested a couple of records because it was driving me insane.

I looked at the stylus with a children's magnifying glass but it wasn't exactly ideal.

I remember having issues with having to turn the volume up/down to get the sound right a month or two ago with the old stylus, so it may be an issue with my preamp/tuner.

neuartillery

Postby neta » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:11 am

swap the tonearm cable channels at the phono input of your preamp. see if the the problem stays in the same channel. if it stays in the same channel, you can eliminated your turntable and cartridge as the problem
ImageImageImageImageImage
neta

Postby swamp angel » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:22 pm

i just swapped in a new stylus to the cartridge that came with my turntable and can't believe what a difference it makes. i pulled my record player and LPs out of storage last week and was immediately like "welp, guess all my shit is scratched to hell."

turns out that's what happens when you buy a turntable in 2013 and never perform any routine maintenance

swamp angel

Postby landspeedrecord » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 am

I am looking to get speakers for my living room, budget is between $500 and $1,000

any suggestions on what I should look for used or if there's anything new that is good for that range

ty
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby shizaam » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:34 am

shizaam

Postby shizaam » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:39 am

ls50s are great too if you're down for $1000
http://us.kef.com/ls50

shizaam

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley