Healthy Eating Active Living Support Thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:51 pm

I'm in my late 30s, don't take any supplements, don't eat meat/dairy/eggs, don't even hit 60 grams of protein a good amount of days and have more muscle mass than ever. I lift a lot and eat way too many carbs

It all depends on your body type. If you're a hard gainer, you'll have to up the cals/protein and lift quite a bit to see muscle gains
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby rixx » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:00 pm

chowder julius wrote:
RIXX wrote:this is probably an extremely stupid question but...i wanna get back into lifting and i already have a gym membership (shoutout south wburg BLINK) but...do I need to like, start eating more or can I just add like...one protein shake to my current diet after each workout. i'm sorta cutting and I wanna lose like ten pounds by summer, but I also want to reclaim some of the muscle definition i've lost over the past 2-3 years. i'm not really interested in bulking up or gaining a ton of muscle but like...will doing strength conditioning stuff without adding a lot of protein or extra calories to my diet be useful at all? or just a waste of time. thanks

cutting and gaining muscle are mutually exclusive generally. calorie surplus is necessary to muscle growth. imo do your cut with cardio/hiit (it won't take long to lose ten pounds) then work on medium intensity strength stuff for muscle development

gotcha. this is what i thought i remembered but i guess i was just hoping to cheat at it a little. i've already lost a bunch of weight with cardio in 2018 and i've been itching to get back to lifting, it's just so much more satisfying and fun. i guess i'll set a goal to lose that last 10 in the next month or so and then get a strength regimen started by like feb-march

rixx

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:02 pm

you're gonna burn calories/lose weight doing strength training on a cut but you're not gonna see gainz really or set any PRs. so it definitely won't hurt to just lift on a cut then change gears when u get rid of the fluff but it's not the most efficient way to do it imo

chowder julius
sweet girl fucking with an evil sorcerer

Postby The Priest » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:07 pm

I gotta start lifting again I'm still in running mode

Ran for 45 minutes in the pouring rain like an absolute dolt
Thank you for reading my posts ❤️

The Priest

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Take advantage of "newbie gains," the first couple of years you start lifting seriously will give you the most muscle results then after that you'll grow very slowly even if upping your lifts.
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm

That wasn't directed at you
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby The Priest » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:14 pm

I'd kill for newbie gains

That said, muscle memory is absolutely a thing. Every time I take a break I can be back to "normal" in like three months

The Priest

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:14 pm

i might take another dance class, but like, an eight week program type deal. it's the best cardio for me because it's social and it keeps me from being bored and i feel like i'm developing a skill. was gonna do ww again but I think I might just pay the monthly fee for the app without the meeting component

chowder julius

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm an Endo, gain both fat and muscle easily

make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:16 pm

i live across the street from a spin studio. should I just do a class pass? anyone done one?

chowder julius

Postby rixx » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:17 pm

does muscle memory work for a lapse of not lifting for like four years? lol

rixx

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:20 pm

chowder julius wrote:i live across the street from a spin studio. should I just do a class pass? anyone done one?

I taught cycling for 3 years at a big box gym.
You might get bored of it pretty quick unless you have good instructors who also play decent music

Take a couple classes first before committing to a pass, first class is usually free or discounted at most places
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:23 pm

yeah they have a free first class. we'll see. I felt a lot better about going to the gym before I moved to a city full of fit people. I'm nervous

chowder julius

Postby ocean pimp » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:43 pm

i've never been able to figure out if im an ecto or a meso

ocean pimp

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Some people are hybrids
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi guys, first time poster long time hunk.

I’m 36 and have never signed up for a gym membership, I loosely keep fit by swimming and running, mostly because I can do it alone. Recently, I’m feeling more and more compelled to join a gym, I think the time is right... however I’m genuinely intimidated by having absolutely NO idea what to do when I get in there for the first time. Can anyone give this baby hunk some advice or solid resources for getting started?

Reliable Tradesman

Postby The Priest » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:27 pm

chowder julius wrote:i live across the street from a spin studio. should I just do a class pass? anyone done one?

You should do anything, especially if it's free.

I liked spin the first few times and hated it progressively more each time. It's a good workout if you get someone who pushes, though

The Priest

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Reliable Tradesman wrote:Hi guys, first time poster long time hunk.

I’m 36 and have never signed up for a gym membership, I loosely keep fit by swimming and running, mostly because I can do it alone. Recently, I’m feeling more and more compelled to join a gym, I think the time is right... however I’m genuinely intimidated by having absolutely NO idea what to do when I get in there for the first time. Can anyone give this baby hunk some advice or solid resources for getting started?

I'd start out in the machine area until I'm feeling a little more confident then go in the free weight area. Could happen in less than a week or over a month depending on the gym. Most machines are pretty easy to figure out, either just pushing or pulling, play with the seat level until it feels like a smooth range of motion.

Once you want to tackle barbell/dumbbell stuff, you can youtube by particular lift or muscle group to learn proper form

Really the hardest part is just showing up, from there you'll find stuff to do
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:36 pm

honestly your best bet if you can afford it is to do a couple sessions with a trainer at the gym so you can get in person advice/guidance re your goals, form, equipment etc. it's such a relief to have someone who can show you how things work or explain good form for certain exercises

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 pm

i was lucky and had super fitness friends to show me around, maybe you have those too

chowder julius

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 pm

just signed up for the ww online component again. $20 a month to track my food is stupid buuuuuut it works!

chowder julius

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:41 pm

Yeah I have strongly considered just signing up for a few PT sessions, and it’s probably my best shot at overcoming my anxiety. Yew.

Reliable Tradesman

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:43 pm

There's 2 types of indoor cycling classes, there's the fluff kind that most people enjoy because it's easier and does a lot of silly things like pushups on the bike, hold bike with one hand, hovers, sprinting with low resistance, doing fast up and down jumps. Think Soulcycle

Then there's the instructors that actually ride outdoors or try to mimick it and do a lot of heavy hill climbs and have you maintain certain watts if the bikes have monitors. Quite challenging

Typically younger people go for the Soulcycle type classes
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:45 pm

chowder julius wrote:just signed up for the ww online component again. $20 a month to track my food is stupid buuuuuut it works!

What does paying for WW get you? I mean if you already know the program, is it motivational meetings or do they provide frozen meal plans?
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby chimp » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:47 pm

Brouhaha wrote:I'm an Endo, gain both fat and muscle easily

Isn't this idea just pseudoscience

chimp

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Brouhaha wrote:
chowder julius wrote:just signed up for the ww online component again. $20 a month to track my food is stupid buuuuuut it works!

What does paying for WW get you? I mean if you already know the program, is it motivational meetings or do they provide frozen meal plans?

they have their own points system for food, it's much easier than mfp or whatever since a lot of stuff is zero points so i don't have to track every single egg or grape or whatever. idk i didn't get the calorie counting mania like I got doing it the old fashioned way. much more chill to make things add up to 41 instead of 1600, plus they have like weekly "flex" type points that take the shame out of having a bad day

i think you get forums access too but idk i never used those. apparently the online community is pretty robust tho

chowder julius

Postby rixx » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:51 pm

chowder julius wrote:

honestly your best bet if you can afford it is to do a couple sessions with a trainer at the gym so you can get in person advice/guidance re your goals, form, equipment etc. it's such a relief to have someone who can show you how things work or explain good form for certain exercises

yeah i paid for a couple trainer sessions last year when I was stupid enough to pay for a couple months of equinox, i think the two most useful takeaways I got out of it was 1) i learned all kinds of warmup exercises and how to thoroughly stretch and use foam rollers to warm up muscles, etc. i was getting shin splints really frequently and he helped me with it too. and 2, whatever I thought previously was my ceiling of endurance and workout intensity and like "rep to failure" or whatever, I learned I can push myself literally three times as hard. but i guess that second part is what you pay trainers for.

rixx

Postby chowder julius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:52 pm

with their points system like 300 cals of hummus has way fewer points cost than 300 cals of cookies so i feel like it keeps me in check nutritionally

chowder julius

Postby creamline bling » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 pm

RIXX wrote:
chowder julius wrote:

yeah i paid for a couple trainer sessions last year when I was stupid enough to pay for a couple months of equinox, i think the two most useful takeaways I got out of it was 1) i learned all kinds of warmup exercises and how to thoroughly stretch and use foam rollers to warm up muscles, etc. i was getting shin splints really frequently and he helped me with it too. and 2, whatever I thought previously was my ceiling of endurance and workout intensity and like "rep to failure" or whatever, I learned I can push myself literally three times as hard. but i guess that second part is what you pay trainers for.

I was in a similar situation Tradesman. before I went to the gym for the first time, I consulted a couple of board friends and they were really helpful explaining things. I think chowder and RIXX's advice here is good though - the thing that really did it for me was the gym giving me a free personal training day as a promotion. Just one session was super helpful to give me a baseline of how the equipment works, and where to get started for my personal health. I'm not really trying to gain muscle or anything just maintain a decent weight and capable fitness level so I probably won't purchase a personal trainer unless I come up with some goal that needs a little more guidance than that.
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

creamline bling

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 pm

RIXX wrote:
chowder julius wrote:
RIXX wrote:this is probably an extremely stupid question but...i wanna get back into lifting and i already have a gym membership (shoutout south wburg BLINK) but...do I need to like, start eating more or can I just add like...one protein shake to my current diet after each workout. i'm sorta cutting and I wanna lose like ten pounds by summer, but I also want to reclaim some of the muscle definition i've lost over the past 2-3 years. i'm not really interested in bulking up or gaining a ton of muscle but like...will doing strength conditioning stuff without adding a lot of protein or extra calories to my diet be useful at all? or just a waste of time. thanks

cutting and gaining muscle are mutually exclusive generally. calorie surplus is necessary to muscle growth. imo do your cut with cardio/hiit (it won't take long to lose ten pounds) then work on medium intensity strength stuff for muscle development

gotcha. this is what i thought i remembered but i guess i was just hoping to cheat at it a little. i've already lost a bunch of weight with cardio in 2018 and i've been itching to get back to lifting, it's just so much more satisfying and fun. i guess i'll set a goal to lose that last 10 in the next month or so and then get a strength regimen started by like feb-march

If you're ultimately going to be lifting weights I don't see a reason to put it off. Lifting on a deficit is a perfectly good way to burn fat, and if you haven't done it in four years it should also give you some muscle, provided you're getting enough protein. And even if you don't gain any muscle, it'll help you avoid losing what you already have.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley