Who here lives in Boston?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby alaska » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:32 pm

They've got a well stocked cvs i hate going inside of
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby auspice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:36 pm

I lived in Allston from fall 2013 through summer 2014, right around the corner from Brighton Music Hall where I briefly talked to Avey Tare once...after he lost his voice at his Slasher Flicks show sadly.

worked at the big Blanchards there, crazy environment to wage slave in
We can't stop here -- this is Night Country!

auspice

Postby Longarm » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Probqbly the best hardcore show i ever went to was in a basement in allston

Alaska did you end up in boston? We coulda kicked it

Longarm

Postby alaska » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:12 pm

Nah I'm just there a few days a week
Lmk next time yr in town though for sure
On Hipinion, posters taxed their bonds and brotherhood, pushing themselves to the brink as a board and as buds.

alaska

Postby Longarm » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm

I'll probably be back some time in early march to see melt banana and some french band i dont care about

Longarm

Postby easy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

auspice wrote:I lived in Allston from fall 2013 through summer 2014, right around the corner from Brighton Music Hall where I briefly talked to Avey Tare once...after he lost his voice at his Slasher Flicks show sadly.

worked at the big Blanchards there, crazy environment to wage slave in

did you live on quint

when I was @ emerson my weed dealer lived on quint and I have fond memories of stumbling back through that neighborhood at night to the T stop lol

easy
does it

Postby easy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 pm

man that blanchards

pretty sure the owner was caught on camera kicking a dog (???) at some point

easy
does it

Postby easy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:30 pm

New Improved Alaska wrote:They've got a well stocked cvs i hate going inside of

there being a second floor in this place alwasy throws me off

easy
does it

Postby Shotfrog » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:32 pm

I drove through Allston a few weeks ago and it was a disorienting mix of completely different and exactly the same.

Shotfrog

Postby auspice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:35 pm

easy wrote:man that blanchards

pretty sure the owner was caught on camera kicking a dog (???) at some point

the beagle kick was before my time but yeah the family running it was insane. the owner's son also had Tourettes and his tic was a dog-barking sound so sometimes when he was up in the booth with the beagle you would just hear them both going off (I'm not exaggerating this was what it was like).

Same guy was also gay and only ever ever hired young white brunette guys, at least for the registers lol. other two managers were another gay guy who was chill and was the one who explained that about the owner's son and why he hired brunettes, while the third manager was a local Bostonian with the accent to boot who ended up getting fired for making fun of the owner's son during a manager meeting

auspice

Postby easy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm

so many of my friends got their fake IDs posted up on the door lol

easy
does it

Postby Kuma » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:40 pm

Longarm wrote:got dinner from Life Alive. Now i'll spend the next 45 minutes trying not to freeze to death before this show starts.

What did you get at Life Alive? I like the Goddess Bowl. :P
Are you seeing Seeyouspacecowboy?

Kuma

Postby auspice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:42 pm

easy wrote:so many of my friends got their fake IDs posted up on the door lol

we got extra money on our paychecks for every ID we caught, I got 5 in one night once, only time I turned people away before confiscating the IDs was when my friends/neighbors showed up with fakes. I know this basically made me a cop at the time but MA liquor laws are strict and they would send undercover agents to ensure stores were compliant so it was just something you had to do. likewise if we weren't sure about the ID we would just turn them away, which led to some Harvard moron bitching me out and writing a Yelp review about me, I'll dig it up. on busy weekend nights one of us would post up at the door as the store bouncer basically, aside from the winter months that was the best seat in the house.

local drunks would occasionally throw huge fits inside which was fun, the best was a guy who swept a giant row of boxes on the floor and screamed "YOOOOOUUU DIIIIIEEEEEEE"

we unfortunately never had too many fun musician stories given the proximity to Brighton Music Hall, but one time Hoodie Allen came in and was asking girls at the register if they recognized who he was lol

auspice

Postby auspice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:03 pm

this is the review about yours truly

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE SERVICE

I have shopped here before. I went in tonight after coming back from Harvard University, where I am a PhD student. I am 24 years old. One of the employees was checking IDs at the door. He took my ID, decided it was fake, and proceeded to scan it into THREE different computers, apparently unconvinced that it was real despite the fact that it was scanning. He also showed it to AT LEAST six different employees, none of whom could apparently verify that it was either REAL OR FAKE DESPITE THE FACT THAT I HAVE PURCHASED ALCOHOL FROM HERE SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE and my ID has always been accepted.

I REPEATEDLY asked for my ID back and told the employee that I would go to another store. He REFUSED to give my back my ID until I told him that he should call the cops so that they could come and VERIFY my ID. After repeating this several times, he finally gave the ID back to me but REFUSED TO SELL ME ALCOHOL because I was "HYSTERICAL".

TO CALL A WOMAN 'HYSTERICAL' IS AN INCREDIBLY OFFENSIVE AND SEXIST TERM!

Furthermore, of course I was 'HYSTERICAL'. I had been asking for several minutes FOR MY ID BACK and I was being ignored while my ID was passed around between INEPT employees. It is a South Carolina ID.

I only wish that I had called the cops, both to vindicate myself, to teach these incompetent people what a SC ID looks like, and also to highlight that one CANNOT refuse service for a REAL ID by making sexist remarks.

the "hysterical" thing was either made up or said by someone else who wasn't me, I knew better than to insult any given customer and often endured tirades/screaming when people threw tantrums about not being able to come in, I'm not gonna instigate that sort of thing further (some tough guy got in my face and called me faggot once). the reason I scanned her ID multiple times was because it wasn't a DL, which makes it harder to verify the authenticity of, and I showed it to other employees because I was TRYING to make sure we could safely approve her to buy alcohol from us. my manager told me not to risk it and we explained that we couldn't sell to her. she pulled the "I'm a PhD student at Harvard!" line in the store as well, lol.

auspice

Postby Longarm » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:34 pm

Kuma wrote:
Longarm wrote:got dinner from Life Alive. Now i'll spend the next 45 minutes trying not to freeze to death before this show starts.

What did you get at Life Alive? I like the Goddess Bowl. :P
Are you seeing Seeyouspacecowboy?

Yeah

I got the buddha bowl + hummus w/o almonds. I havent eaten yet im waiting until i get to my sister's apartment.

Longarm

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:35 pm

Working at a liquor store must be a nightmare. I can’t even imagine the circus working at blanchards, although back in my day you def couldn’t use a fake ID there
tim
whatabout tim

Postby lordofdiapers » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 pm

Got death stares from a cashier at that Blanchards once I hen my buddy and I went to buy beer and upon leaving I asked my buddy if he thought the cashier was mad at us and he said "Hell yeah she was mad at you, you knocked a beer into her purse at the Model last night and said 'sorry for partying' to her instead of apologizing"

I miss Allston
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

<3

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby Longarm » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 pm

Harvard phd student yelp reviewer actually kill me please

Longarm

Postby alaska » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:44 pm

God that's miserable lol

alaska

Postby lordofdiapers » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:48 pm

The Deep Ellum to Silhouette to Model Allston Bermuda Triangle is responsible for some stuff, let's just put it that way
Stuntman wrote:Does anyone remember Late Night Cheeseburger? That was my jam. Tasted like BO.

<3

lordofdiapers
The Nappy King™

Postby easy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:Got death stares from a cashier at that Blanchards once I hen my buddy and I went to buy beer and upon leaving I asked my buddy if he thought the cashier was mad at us and he said "Hell yeah she was mad at you, you knocked a beer into her purse at the Model last night and said 'sorry for partying' to her instead of apologizing"

I miss Allston

aahahahaha

easy
does it

Postby Kuma » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:51 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:Got death stares from a cashier at that Blanchards once I hen my buddy and I went to buy beer and upon leaving I asked my buddy if he thought the cashier was mad at us and he said "Hell yeah she was mad at you, you knocked a beer into her purse at the Model last night and said 'sorry for partying' to her instead of apologizing"

:lol:

Kuma

Postby easy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:51 pm

god i would get so wasted at the sil

easy
does it

Postby Kuma » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:52 pm

did you eat the pupcorn?

Kuma

Postby alaska » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:52 pm

Longarm wrote:I'll probably be back some time in early march to see melt banana and some french band i dont care about

Oh nice. i saw melt banana at as220 in prov in like 2013 w boarder mactheo and it fucking owned

alaska

Postby alaska » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Kuma wrote:

:lol:

Lmao

alaska

Postby auspice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:54 pm

whatabout tim wrote:Working at a liquor store must be a nightmare. I can’t even imagine the circus working at blanchards, although back in my day you def couldn’t use a fake ID there

some of my coworkers were kinda fucked up, not gonna lie. 2nd-most wasted I've ever been was courtesy of them on new year's. we got 20% discounts on all purchases so there were some definite substance abuse habits going on. not that that's what made anyone awful, but they were like very gossipy around each other and would get into these bizarre alcohol-fueled tiffs.

I got the binge drinking out of my system freshman/sophomore year (was basically straight-edge in HS and felt like I had to make up for lost time) so even though I was working at the biggest liquor store in town right after turning 21 that's when I toned things down considerably.

Blanchards was positioned in a pretty diverse area so you kinda got a bit of everyone's vibe there. there were definitely some sour older locals but the most obnoxious people were generally the Harvard/MIT students coming over for kegs.

The worst thing by far about the area was the parking situation. Blanchards had its own parking lot managed by the city with a 30 minute limit (and clear signs displaying it), but it was right next to a bigger parking lot with like a 2 hour limit, so people would frequently mix the two up and get towed all the time, which led to constant angry confrontations with management even though we had nothing to do with anyone getting towed ever.

Most depressing days were when the same people would be in like 5-10 times for nips, eventually we had to impose a three-transaction limit on them.

auspice

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:59 pm

easy wrote:god i would get so wasted at the sil

I’m surprised to find out it’s still open and wasn’t converted into some lame Americana place like every other bar around there.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:00 pm

I don’t understand the transaction limit on nips when it’s a pretty common tactic for alcoholics to not kill themselves.
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Kuma » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:02 pm

I still go to the sil occasionally to play darts. There doesn't seem to a single board in all of Cambridge.

Kuma

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley