how are you doing your current final fantasy replay

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby hector doepos » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:40 pm

yeah i think i am playing the sound restoration ROM! so i think I should be OK!! thanks

EDIT: whoops. no i'm not. lol

EDIT2: so it seems i just loaded the sound/color restoration ROM (downloaded here https://fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/f ... nloads.htm) onto my flash cart, and then renamed my old save file and it worked fine. :D
hector doepos

Postby Durham » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Triple triad is so good and basically every interaction with an NPC is charming and often real funny

Laguna scenes are funny too

It makes me really really wish FFX had no voice acting and more dialogue from NPCs. some of this dialogue as voice work would be very cringey but in my head it flows perfectly

Even though X and XII soundtrack remasters weren’t any good, I’d have appreciated some variety with a remaster here cuz I’m so familiar with every tune

One nitpick is that I wish the character models had more than 8 directions to turn in, the blockiness of it sticks out more now that the models are so good

Durham

Postby figaro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Durham wrote:Triple triad is so good and basically every interaction with an NPC is charming and often real funny

Laguna scenes are funny too

It makes me really really wish FFX had no voice acting and more dialogue from NPCs. some of this dialogue as voice work would be very cringey but in my head it flows perfectly

Even though X and XII soundtrack remasters weren’t any good, I’d have appreciated some variety with a remaster here cuz I’m so familiar with every tune

One nitpick is that I wish the character models had more than 8 directions to turn in, the blockiness of it sticks out more now that the models are so good

once they started voice acting is where they lost me even if i know it being such a massive series doing that was a natural progression and all

figaro

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:47 pm

I’m so glad so many of us are playing the 8 remaster. I’ve been gaming and not boarding cus I’m having the funemployment of my life rn. But holy shit this remaster. I’m amazed at how good and smooth it all looks while retaining every tiny touch I remembered from the gameplay. I sincerely doubt anyone new to the game would like this - I’m more struck than ever at how confusing and alienating the game is - but man this is an absolute delight for people who loved it at the time. It’s a candidate for the absolute weirdest FF but the 3x option absolves most of the tedious elements while the remastered look just heightens the inherent romance to the entire narrative and setting. I’m just in heaven, so glad I got this.
If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:50 pm

i've said this before but x is such a vastly better game with the japanese voice acting. i used to be down on it but now i consider it to be more or less on par with 8.
it's the suspense that gets me

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Part of me did hope they’d at least attempt a new translation, since the tactics update included a massively improved script, but for a mainline FF game I imagine that would open a whole bag of worms. Still, while an updated translation wouldn’t fix the inherent confusion of the plot, I do think it would help the subtext (or lack) dramatically.
If you have information that conclusively proves beyond a doubt that Nathan killed Jeffrey Epstein, please DM me.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:51 pm

Dbl .
Last edited by Beautiful Jugdish on Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:51 pm

the edea assassination subplot that ends disc 1 was the coolest shit to me as a kid. despite not having a single unifying landmark the first disc of this game is pretty stacked with great/memorable setpieces.

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:53 pm

goofy's dead wife wrote:the edea assassination subplot that ends disc 1 was the coolest shit to me as a kid. despite not having a single unifying landmark the first disc of this game is pretty stacked with great/memorable setpieces.

God it’s insanely cool. It’s also the most thorough exploration of squall’s initial psychology in the game, the other side of that being the space sequence - when naturally he is trying to save a sorceress.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby figaro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:59 pm

laguna as a first name kills me

figaro

Postby Durham » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:04 pm

The assassination stuff still pwns my squall/rinoa area 20 years later

Durham

Postby Down n dirty rufus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:22 pm

I’ve been craving a replay of X, which is strange because I thought the game was a big disappointment when it came out. But I think it’s just because my roommate at the time would terrorize and harangue me whenever he saw me playing it (he was in the room for the HAHAHAHA scene). But I downloaded it for vita and now I unabashedly love it!

Down n dirty rufus

Postby Stuntman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Damn I didn't know that the VIII remaster was out yet...another dang weekend wasted.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:it's still mind-boggling that they just...lost the original files for all of the backgrounds

Can you please expand on this?

Stuntman

Postby grayfox » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:04 am

I was grinding out Ramza in War of the Lions, trying to get him as dark Knight. Then I was like eh I'm tired of grinding, I'll advance the story a bit. I went to the next red circle and it ended up being the 4 or 5 final boss fights then the game ended.

Apparently war of the Lions is significantly shorter than regular FFT? I was still waiting to do a ton of shit and go to a ton of places. There was no Cloud thing, none of those dungeons, didn't get a few characters I remember from the original. Very confused right now.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 am

Oh no all those things are in there, there’s just a bunch of tasks at taverns you have to do to access them. Same as in the original.

Beautiful Jugdish

Postby Viz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:21 pm

Finally continuing my Switch FF7 replay and just finished the Cosmo Canyon section. Forgot how they just sometimes create empty rooms for the sake of creating empty rooms.

Is there a reason to level up Cait Sith again? Does he use those Transform materia better than the others or something? Even as a kid, I thought his whole design was some "Japanese" thing, cause I just don't get it.
Viz

Postby Stuntman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Cait Sith has high magic and spirit but the rest of his stats are abysmal. You can manipulate his slots Limit Break somewhat easily but that’s about it. It’s a crime to keep him in your party.

I think the last time you’re forced to use him is during the attack on Junon.

Stuntman

Postby figaro » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:13 pm

i cant wait to see how he's handled in the remake

figaro

Postby axelrod gunnarson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:53 pm

Well it turns out I love FF8, guess 17 year old me was a big dipshit (I already knew this)

axelrod gunnarson
ok

Postby deadbass » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:21 pm

figaro wrote:i cant wait to see how he's handled in the remake

We'll find out in 2025 when Part 2 hits.

deadbass

Postby grayfox » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Beautiful Jugdish wrote:Oh no all those things are in there, there’s just a bunch of tasks at taverns you have to do to access them. Same as in the original.

Oh. Whoops.

This all felt like a different ending. I'll have to go back and look. My world map feels incomplete.

I have a separate save just before that final dungeon

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Durham » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:57 pm

This game is just full of big awesome moments and such great little bits

Playing cards with a dang mayors wife?? Cmon

Durham

Postby hector doepos » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:51 am

axelrod gunnarson wrote:Well it turns out I love FF8, guess 17 year old me was a big dipshit (I already knew this)

The Final Fantasy Canonical Ranking otherwise known as the index of teen feelings and sweet memories.
hector doepos

Postby VHB » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:05 pm

figaro wrote:laguna as a first name kills me

Laguna (and Irvine) are both named after the cities. No, really. One of the FF brain trust guys really enjoyed his Orange County vacation, apparently.
galactagogue wrote:i usually just assume no one is into me, it makes it easier to be myself.

Suspension Bridge wrote:Werewolf was the best thing to happen to me in 2015 and that includes my wedding

Kenny wrote:If you can remmeber any conversation with a cashier 30 seconds after you had it you're doing it wrong

VHB
VHS

Postby it's the suspense that gets me » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:59 pm

i really wish that there were markers indicating which things in the environment were interactable in 8 like there are in 7

my only beef with the game at the moment is that it can be sometimes difficult attempting to interact with the environments. i'm still nearing the end of disc 1 because i found navigating deling city to be much more difficult than i'd like it to be.

Postby grayfox » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 pm

What platform are folks playing the remake on? I gotta join this hype train

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby figaro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 pm

also not being able to change the menu colors!

figaro

Postby grayfox » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 pm

I should finish ff7 first. I'm at gold saucer

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby rap and country » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 pm

y'all are making me reconsider my decision ~15 years ago to just never finish FF VIII

i think i got to the end and was like who the hell is ultimecia why do i care

rap and country
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley