Rec.Music.Phish

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Althea » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:41 pm

What was the Fugazi/bad brains/minutemen reference?

Althea

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:27 pm

The 8/3 Carini is still insane and the run Page does slightly before the 18 min mark cements it for me as the one to beat

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Carini's my choice over the..... SOUL PLANET

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Still holding onto that 7/27 Forum set as an underdog though

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Very cool how early shows gain context as the tour rolls on

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Got it. Delete away. Will reach out in a bit

Fr. Blanc

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Quigley wrote:What was the Fugazi/bad brains/minutemen reference?

talking about how 80’s music and mass culture was often vapid and image-centric he rambles something along the lines of:

“There was some great stuff going on then too tho... Fugazi... always remember... Bad Brains... Fugazi.. there was some cool shit going on, you know, Minutemen... they were doing the same thing in rebelling against the mainstream”
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 pm

I typed it for my brother as I was listening to it’s pretty much Trey’s stream of consciousness verbatim
The UC Berkeley expert I spoke with described your approach to boarding -- posting things without knowing whether they’re true in order to juice engagement -- as “sociopathic.” Do you have a response to that?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:36 pm

I can’t remember which jams were which from the west coast already

where’s like... a list or something?

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:43 pm

k_uger wrote:

talking about how 80’s music and mass culture was often vapid and image-centric he rambles something along the lines of:

“There was some great stuff going on then too tho... Fugazi... always remember... Bad Brains... Fugazi.. there was some cool shit going on, you know, Minutemen... they were doing the same thing in rebelling against the mainstream”

Reading between the lines here and I think this means they'll be covering What Makes a Man Start Fires? on Halloween

Eyeball Kid

Postby Althea » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:
k_uger wrote:

Reading between the lines here and I think this means they'll be covering What Makes a Man Start Fires? on Halloween

That's really cool. Phish fans love to cheer for responsible behaviour (we'd love to take a bath, I'd have myself to blame, etc), so Waiting Room would be a hit.

Althea

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:56 pm

It's not the 80's, but as far as Fugazi goes, they could probably get a pretty good jam out of "Cashout"

Eyeball Kid

Postby Althea » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 pm

I'd recommend Fugazi to any Phan who's unfamiliar with them. No preplanned setlist, songs strung together with segues, four white dudes who aee funky as shit, each member has their own distinct sound and role...

Althea

Postby Althea » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Makisupa > Great Cop > Makisupa

Althea

Postby Eyeball Kid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Unlike Phish, who I've seen zero times, I've seen Fugazi twice: 3/31/96 and 1/15/00

Eyeball Kid

Postby Dinosauria We » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:
k_uger wrote:any update to the jam of the tour so far after this weekend?

I may have to give it up for this Soul Planet TBH

I still gotta give it to the gorge twist gorge melt or sf carini

Tahoe Ghost
Gorge CDT
Gorge Melt
BGCA Carini
LA Fuego
LA Soul Planet
Alpharetta Ghost
Alpharetta Carini

Still haven't listened to set 2 from last night. Really hard to choose a favorite...I'd say Gorge Melt and Alpharetta Ghost are at the top of my list. Alpharetta night 1 is probably the show of the tour so far.

Dinosauria We

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:Are we ready to hang Summer 18 from the rafters yer? I guess this week will be the clincher

I dunno dude, check the comment thread for last night’s Phish.net recap, it’s a fucking battlefield. people are the worst.

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:16 pm

There’s already so much that I think it’s sealed. I’m kinda digging that the jam vehicle pool is limited too. What a tour for carini, ghost, fuego, and everything’s right.

There’s prob a scents on the horizon that we aren’t ready for.

Fr. Blanc

Postby Althea » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:17 pm

We still need to get through the panic when Raleigh and/or MPP II starts the second set with Halley's (not jammed)>Number line>Shade>Leaves>Joy>Miss You>Frost. Which looking at it would be a cool run to see.

Althea

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Been eagerly waiting for Leaves

Fr. Blanc

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 pm

I’m currently going after a Boston Globe writer and WBUR contributor who went on two lengthy screeds talking shit about “safe spaces” like a fucking right wing schill.

fuck that bald ass Anakin Skywalkwer looking motherfucker!

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Althea » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Hell yeah, go for it man.

Someone said to me the other night that the BD now looks like one of those points that changed the band and their approach on a remain in light/Cypress level.

Althea

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 pm

Thats kinda all I’m about is that sort of unpredictability. Like sure Simple and Chalkdust have been enormous for years, but now I’m cool with them playing sub-10 min versions bc not only are those good, but then you get to stretch out a Moma or dig deeper into the Soul duo, or whatever. Those 15 minutes are going to something undershined

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:33 pm

Quigley wrote:Hell yeah, go for it man.

Someone said to me the other night that the BD now looks like one of those points that changed the band and their approach on a remain in light/Cypress level.

I sure as hell hope so. It’s a misconception that bustouts made the BD what it was or even that a bustout filled set is good. Smart setlists with flow and suprises is the thing. Not surprises like “wow they are playing Spock’s Brain” but “damn I did not expect a Limb by Limb here and it’s perfect”

Fr. Blanc

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:36 pm

go up vote my comments.

Bisexual Lightning

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:38 pm

TBH Trey kinda ruined the ATL Wolfman’s for me with his weird, shifting vocal inflections.. jam was great tho

Bisexual Lightning

Postby vhg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:38 pm

lol just read that phish net recap and headed straight here to see what was being said about it
Bought this at the mall I'm gonna wear this at the mall.
vhg

Postby Fr. Blanc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:38 pm

I had the thought earlier today that they are incapable of playing a bad or uninteresting wolfmans right now

Fr. Blanc

Postby Althea » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:03 pm

How do you trash talk You Sexy Thing - the first appearance of which ruled, had a type II jam, and was reprised memorably out of Mercury's own type II jam - and have any credibility left in your review? Does this guy listen to 11/2/98 and think it was an ok show except they didn't quite get Dark Side studio perfect?

Althea

Postby Bisexual Lightning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:20 pm

three paragraphs on how they should change the way they operate after flubbing Fee and Vultures and then:

“but Reba was perfect”

?!

Bisexual Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley