Alternative/independent comics thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby sevenarts » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Read a bunch of Ted May comics at lunch. His new one, Men's Feelings, is really good, as moffett mentioned. It's a bunch of short gag strips that mostly revolve about visits to the bathroom - he calls it a "tears and toilets"-themed collection - but it's funny in a really melancholy way, like all these jokes about painful diarrhea are just ways of writing about loneliness and emptiness. That in itself is pretty funny, that this guy deliberately set out to make a collection of "deep", introspective strips about farting and crapping. The last strip in the issue, about an office drone who relishes a sliver of fresh air at night from his window while sitting on the toilet - as opposed to just spending more time outside - really slayed me, as I suspect it would anybody who works in an office and/or lives in the suburbs. A lot of bitter laughs from this book.

Also read the first 2 issues of Injury, also real cool. Jeff Wilson's stories about his teen metalhead days, drawn by May, are really funny and sharply observed, with great dialogue and tons of period detail. I love this stuff. The "Your Bleeding Face" stories, written by May and drawn by Jason Robards, are less interesting, but are still pretty fun, basically a wild parody of sci-fi action movies.

sevenarts

Postby Hal Jordan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:48 pm

is this the place to mention that Peter Sickman-Garner's Hey Mister is the best thing
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby Percy Dovetonsils » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:49 am

Mandingo wrote:most optic nerve stoires are basically ghost world with prettier people

so iguess that's your answer? i dunno

thanks, but I guess I don't agree with this at all, since -- oh, you edited your post since I last read it. yeah never mind

Percy Dovetonsils

Postby tlooth » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:35 am

just a post so i can find this thread later

tlooth

Postby wlad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:44 am

I really like Paper Rad's, especially the BJ and Da Dogs one, if anyone itt has read that.

Also the guy C.F 's stuff, Powr Mastrs is real good

wlad

Postby ZONKER » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:01 am

Paper Rad like http://www.paperrad.org/ ???

I've always really liked their stuff (Bubble Puppy and Star Kings music videos were seminal to me at one point), where do I buy/read?
Image Image Image Image Image
Shotfrog wrote:These horrible, despicable people make it so far in life, and last night I was eating kraft mac and cheese straight out of the pan with a wooden spoon.

ZONKER

Postby wlad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:10 am

Yeah

They've got stuff on PictureBox:

http://www.pictureboxinc.com/products/7 ... nd-da-dogs

but it's sold out, i'm sure there is some other stuff though.

You can get the one I mentioned on Amazon though, http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Rad-B-J-And ... 0971367043

wlad

Postby sevenarts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 am

Paper Rad's got a bunch of books, most released by Picturebox. A few have come out from Ben Jones, the most prolific artist of the group, as well.

Personally I never got into Paper Rad. I find most of their stuff, with a few notable exceptions, to be really empty in that typical Internet-jokey meme culture way. I think they've been very influential, but other artists who have followed their path tend to be more interesting. Simon Hanselmann has been mentioned in this thread a bunch already, and he mines similar territory but with a lot more emotion and depth. I much prefer CF to Paper Rad too.

sevenarts

Postby wlad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 am

I would scan my copy for you, but it's pretty long..

edit: to ZONKER

wlad

Postby Mandingo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Percy Dovetonsils wrote:
Mandingo wrote:most optic nerve stoires are basically ghost world with prettier people

thanks, but I guess I don't agree with this at all, since -- oh, you edited your post since I last read it. yeah never mind

yeah that post of mine really makes no sense. sometimes you post things when you should be sleeping and words get hard and then you edit posts and then you don't remember editing them and it's such a mess

ANYWAY. i think what i was trying to say (and failing) is that i think tomine's work is just popular due to more conventionally pretty looking artwork. also that almost all of tomine's books fall into that sad, lonely teen/20-somethings being miserable kind of story that sad, lonely teenagers eat up like candy. it's superficially similar to ghost world in subject matter but it lacks a lot of the depth that clowes had in that book

i mean i don't think it's that surprising that a easier and/or more superficial version of that would be popular? i mean people did give zach braff 2 million dollars because they loved garden state so much

ftr i actually like most of tomine's comics but i was a teenager when i first read most of 'em so...

Mandingo

Postby SmoothOperator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:22 pm

I've been looking for the first power masters, does anyone have it? Also, did any of you watch the simon hanselmann/HTML flowers/and friends vs. Johnny Ryan/nick Gazin Internet feud?
Kuato lives

SmoothOperator

Postby Mandingo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:47 pm

i saw some of posts on hanselmann's tumblr

what exactly happened? htmlflowers called johnny ryan a racist or something

Mandingo

Postby coma kid » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:11 pm

SmoothOperator wrote:I've been looking for the first power masters, does anyone have it?

I've got it. Is it out of print now?

coma kid

Postby moffett » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:19 pm

this makes it sound like a win-win imo

dunno, dug the new optic nerve. the first story is actually really funny, which i dont think is something people see in tomine much.

i was in montreal recently and visited the drawn & quarterly bookstore. picked up tomine's shortcomings paperback.

moffett

Postby SmoothOperator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Mandingo wrote:i saw some of posts on hanselmann's tumblr

what exactly happened? htmlflowers called johnny ryan a racist or something

The whole thing is kind of dumb. Basically, on tumblr and facebook, HTML Flowers and Simon Hanselmann have been prodding and heckling Johnny Ryan for making gross comics and Nick Gazin for supporting him for a while now. Ryan and Gazin didn't know who they were for a while, which resulted in some funny facebook comments back and forth, where friends of Simon and Flowers got involved. Even though I like their work, I feel a little embarrassed for Simon's and Flower's responses.

at some point Simon Hanselmann made this

http://girlmountain.tumblr.com/post/55186526675/comicsworkbook-simon-hanselmann-truth-zone

and then Johnny Ryan made this

http://outlawscumfudge.tumblr.com/post/59428706832

Hanselmann reblogged that comic and was all cheesed off about it, but then deleted what he said. HTML flowers made some stupid tumblr meme pap.

They've basically just been goofing on each other, but HTML Flowers and Hanselmann are taking it way too much to heart and are now pretending like they've been bullied and are on some crusade to end the tyranny of Ryan and Gazin. Gazin made some good points on facebook about the whole thing and Ryan is saying that he's just busting their balls and actually really likes Hanselmann's comics. Who knows what'll happen next?!

I guess I can screen shot the facebook back and forth if you want.
Kuato lives

SmoothOperator

Postby SmoothOperator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:24 pm

bluemovers wrote:
SmoothOperator wrote:I've been looking for the first power masters, does anyone have it?

I think so. I can't find it anywhere and it's going for a shit load of money on amazon right now. I'll probably never see it if you don't scan it or lend it to me. Would you be down to do one of those things?
Kuato lives

SmoothOperator

Postby Hal Jordan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:34 pm

SmoothOperator wrote:
Mandingo wrote:and then Johnny Ryan made this

http://outlawscumfudge.tumblr.com/post/59428706832

Hanselmann reblogged that comic and was all cheesed off about it, but then deleted what he said. HTML flowers made some stupid tumblr meme pap.

that comic is pretty funny made hilarious by the fact that hanselmann was actually pissed off by it
A lamp with a white shade was knocked over and broken. Someone was smoking pot. “This is the pot room!” a young man said.
Hal Jordan

Postby sevenarts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Especially since Ryan's comic is much funnier and less mean-spirited than Hanselmann's.

I like both their stuff in general, though.

sevenarts

Postby Mandingo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 pm

yeah that's pretty embarrassing for hanselmann especially given that ryan's comic was along the same lines as truth zone

oh well dude still makes great comics

Mandingo

Postby sevenarts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm

I get the sense that Hanselmann and whoever else is taking these shots at Ryan hasn't seen stuff like Prison Pit or his totally devastating strip in KE8; he's a lot more varied and nuanced these days than he once was.

sevenarts

Postby SmoothOperator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 pm

They must think he's like GG Allin or something. If they read or heard any of his interviews they'd find out he's just a normal guy who could do kids comics for nickelodeon and also make the raunchiest, most politically incorrect stuff anyone can think of. He knows what he's doing, he's not just some huge asshole. Some of the things their friends/followers said were really wince inducing. Ugh, it's just bad.
Kuato lives

SmoothOperator

Postby wlad » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 am

I've also got Powr Mastrs 1 if you want me to scan it or something

wlad

Postby Percy Dovetonsils » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:23 am

Thanks Mandingo. I guess I just am shocked that he's seemingly so respected when his stuff seems so much more superficial, both in art and in narrative, than most of the greats. At least Clowes writes interesting characters... But an LCD type situation I guess explains that. And yeah I kinda liked the new issue too, so I think I'm timing my somewhat combative stance rather badly.

I also hate Jeffrey Brown! I burnt one of his books in a fireplace once!

Percy Dovetonsils

Postby coma kid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:26 am

SmoothOperator wrote:
bluemovers wrote:

I think so. I can't find it anywhere and it's going for a shit load of money on amazon right now. I'll probably never see it if you don't scan it or lend it to me. Would you be down to do one of those things?

i know i won't have the time or patience to scan it anytime soon, so unless pizza.net is going to do it, I'm happy to send it to you.

coma kid

Postby sevenarts » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:57 am

If you just type "Powr Mastrs torrent" into Google, there seem to already be PDF scans of all 3 books available out there.

Didn't realize the first one was out-of-print already. That's a great series, I hope the 4th book actually comes out this year finally.

sevenarts

Postby ZONKER » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks pizza but I'm good, I already have such a huge backlog of shit to read.

Hanselmann/Ryan beef is hilarious. In my eyes it's like the social justice tumblr warriors versus anyone who can take a joke #teamprisonpit
Image Image Image Image Image
Shotfrog wrote:These horrible, despicable people make it so far in life, and last night I was eating kraft mac and cheese straight out of the pan with a wooden spoon.

ZONKER

Postby DisposableGriot » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:57 am

Nuts to Gazin for his review of Simmons' Furry Trap.
le sigh

DisposableGriot

Postby Mandingo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Percy Dovetonsils wrote:I also hate Jeffrey Brown! I burnt one of his books in a fireplace once!

yeah, i went through a pretty big jeffery brown phase and it embarrasses me to no end

like i read the second transformers (or whatever he calls it) book he did and i think it was supposed to be funny?

sadly enough those star wars books he did are probably the best things he's done

only thing i'll say about the auto-bio stuff is that a matter of life is probably the worst comic i've read this year

Mandingo

Postby Percy Dovetonsils » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:00 am

this thread got TCJ'ed over the Ryan/Hanselman stuff
http://www.tcj.com/heidimcdonaldwasright/

Percy Dovetonsils

Postby Jerk. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:07 am

you guys ever check out these Baltic Comics collections?

they're neat little collections with some ridiculous art

Jerk.

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley