Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby deadwolfbones » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:45 pm

Here's a form I made for voting: https://goo.gl/forms/Os7M6HG8cWW4UqJp1

It's pretty simple:
1. Provide a ranking for each beer you tasted. Don't enter more than one response per column.
2. If you tasted a beer not on the list in Q1, proceed to Q2 and write it in.

I would suggest that you rope a S/O or friend into conducting the blind tasting for you. Just ask them to four numbered taster glasses with a pour from each of the four beers. Rank the numbered beers by preference, and once you've worked that out, ask them which beers the numbers correspond to. Then enter your rankings in the form.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby honkduh » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:A fun one for next time could be national distro hazies. :twisted:

wouldn't be much of a list would it?

Sierra Nevada Hazy Little thing
New Belgium Voodoo Ranger
Sam Adams New England IPA.

that's about all i can think of for national distributed hazies.
honkduh

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:12 pm

There's an Epic NE-style IPA. Not sure how national that is, but it's pretty readily available out west.

dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Render » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm

Guess I'm going to the Mornin' Delight release
Render

Postby Fullscreen » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

can anyone who's well-versed in new england IPAs tell me if hop butcher's brews are representative of the style? their beers are usually classified as just APA or AIPA but are uniformly hazy, creamy, dank.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby cruiserbob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:54 pm

loving the Great Notion can releases. Ripe is so damn good.
and that's that.
cruiserbob

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 pm

I might move to Bend soon and I am psyched about easier access to Great Notion.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby gazedo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 pm

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/07/324-of-the-best-ipas-blind-tasted-and-ranked.html

another Paste list to criticize. the first thing I thought when i saw this is how do these pictures make these beers look so bad? and I am not even trying to make fun of how hazy beer looks like orange juice. these pictures are objectively bad. did they use a phone? did they use different cameras with different white balance settings? did they purposefully oxide things?

how is this even the same beer?

ImageImage
gazedo

Postby jalapeño ranch » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Also, Offshoot is #2 on that list and... no way man. I don't care if it's a blind tasting, they're batting like 3 for 80 with their releases so far.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Going to Total Wine tonight to grab my craft lagers for the tasting.

Who else is in?
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby fury » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 pm

I’m in. Is there a certain deadline or time it needs to be done
fury
ok

Postby gazedo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:20 pm

i am going to do it on the 22nd.
gazedo

Postby deadwolfbones » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Noticed a couple more that should have wide distro:

Green Flash Sea to Sea
Victory Home Grown

I'm going to add these to the Google form.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby ecto » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:29 pm

gazedo wrote:https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/07/324-of-the-best-ipas-blind-tasted-and-ranked.html

another Paste list to criticize. the first thing I thought when i saw this is how do these pictures make these beers look so bad? and I am not even trying to make fun of how hazy beer looks like orange juice. these pictures are objectively bad. did they use a phone? did they use different cameras with different white balance settings? did they purposefully oxide things?

how is this even the same beer?

ImageImage

my guess is they used months-old cans and the hop proteins settled
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this friend now. What can I do? (self.LazerBlade)
submitted 3 minutes ago by LazerBlade_Teen
ecto

Postby warmjets » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm

jalapeño ranch wrote:Also, Offshoot is #2 on that list and... no way man. I don't care if it's a blind tasting, they're batting like 3 for 80 with their releases so far.

I'm done with them for a while. Relax is a great beer though, but not deserving of #2 lol
warmjets

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Relax is at Total Wine for $12/4pk, which is... not bad? MT prices.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby gazedo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:12 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:Relax is at Total Wine for $12/4pk, which is... not bad? MT prices.

did you sign up for their emails? its worth it as you pretty much always get 10% off 4/6 packs
gazedo

Postby warmjets » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Relax for $12 is great. Paying close to $20 for their other releases, which are hit or miss, is not great.
warmjets

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:30 pm

The only Offshoot I've actually liked was the 10 Years collar with Highland Park. I don't even really like Relax. It had a really weird bitter finish with the can I tried. Would rather just grab whatever Modern Times is on the shelf and continue ignoring them.

They should probably relax on pumping out multiple can releases every other week and focus on actually making one that tastes good. I've heard the last few releases are actually decent but I'm not willing to give them my money anymore.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Had both Critical Band and Citadel recently and man, I love MT's IPAs.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 pm

gazedo wrote:
deadwolfbones wrote:Relax is at Total Wine for $12/4pk, which is... not bad? MT prices.

did you sign up for their emails? its worth it as you pretty much always get 10% off 4/6 packs

Yeah, I'm all over that.

Went the other night for the lagers and didn't have a valid coupon, though. Was very sad. :'(

They also didn't have singles of that new cherry sour from Lagunitas. Double sad.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 am

Did the lager tasting tonight! 5 beers (though I'll only be ranking the top 4 for board ranking purposes): Deschutes Pacific Wonderland, Victory Home Grown, Anchor California Lager, Founders Solid Gold, and Firestone Lager.

A total of 5 people tried them and provided rankings. It was pretty interesting: 4 of 5 ranked the same beer 2nd best, 3 of 5 ranked the same beer 3rd best. But four different beers were chosen for 1st place.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Shalabi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:59 am

jalapeño ranch wrote:Also, Offshoot is #2 on that list and... no way man. I don't care if it's a blind tasting, they're batting like 3 for 80 with their releases so far.

as much as i like The Bruery, this is very accurate
Shalabi

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:20 am

REMINDER IF YOU WANT TO TAKE PART IN...

THE HPN BEER TASTING — RD. 1: CRAFT LAGERS

VOTING FORM: https://goo.gl/forms/Os7M6HG8cWW4UqJp1

What to do:
1. Provide a ranking for each beer you tasted. Don't enter more than one response per column. (Max 4 rankings.)
2. If you tasted a beer not on the list in Q1, proceed to Q2 and write it in. (Again, don't submit more than 4 rankings between the multiple choice and write-in sections.)

Rope a S/O or friend into conducting the blind tasting for you. If you don't have a friend or S/O ( :( ) you can still participate, but blind tasting is better and more revealing.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby gazedo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:55 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:REMINDER IF YOU WANT TO TAKE PART IN...

What to do:
1. Provide a ranking for each beer you tasted. Don't enter more than one response per column. (Max 4 rankings.)
2. If you tasted a beer not on the list in Q1, proceed to Q2 and write it in. (Again, don't submit more than 4 rankings between the multiple choice and write-in sections.)

Rope a S/O or friend into conducting the blind tasting for you. If you don't have a friend or S/O ( :( ) you can still participate, but blind tasting is better and more revealing.

how does the final ranking actually get calculated? i am not sure i understand how this will work. if everyone is trying a bunch of different things, isn't whatever is most widely available going to win because the most people will have a chance to try it and thus its probability of getting a vote is much higher?
gazedo

Postby deadwolfbones » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:41 pm

I was planning to average the rankings for each beer, and the ones with the highest average rankings would be the winners.

Admittedly, this requires a decent number of submissions.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby jireland » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 am

gazedo wrote:
deadwolfbones wrote:REMINDER IF YOU WANT TO TAKE PART IN...

What to do:

how does the final ranking actually get calculated? i am not sure i understand how this will work. if everyone is trying a bunch of different things, isn't whatever is most widely available going to win because the most people will have a chance to try it and thus its probability of getting a vote is much higher?

going to get in on this this weekend.
jireland

Postby gazedo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:16 pm

bricker, if one was to make it to casa agria this weekend, what would you recommend?
gazedo

Postby viachicago » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Sup

viachicago

Postby springheeljack » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 pm

i want that.

Hubbard's Cave is banging out incredible IPA's right now, worth checking out.

https://www.instagram.com/hubbards_cave/
springheeljack

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....