The Running Thread

All Are Welcome!

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby grayfox » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 pm

In spring I've never found much of anything. Fall has all the good ones.
Maybe grandma's in June. Boston is meh. Tokyo is probably cool.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby based dana scully » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:12 am

hellosir wrote:
messier object wrote:
hellosir wrote:running philly marathon on sunday with some pre-race taper jitters? any advice?

hellosir do you want me to scrawl up a :gapearth:

Ran a marathon debut of 3:26:12 in Philadelphia. Felt great, never hit the dreaded "wall". Don't wanna get cocky but toying with the idea of a spring marathon next... Which are the great races?

nice work!! that's a great debut time. vancouver is a really nice spring marathon. it's a beautiful course.

based dana scully

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:18 am

Disagree — Boston is not a fast course, but it is an incredible experience top to bottom.

The qualifying standards are an ambitious but reachable goal for serious recreational runners willing to put in the work.

If you ran 3:26 in your first marathon and find you enjoy the training and the grind... consider shooting for a qualifier in a year or two!

https://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/enter/qualify

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby sadville » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 am

are higdon's plans good? i was thinking about doing a marathon in march. i'm starting to have second thoughts on whether i want to do one then or later. definitely want to do one, though!

i'm consistently hitting a slightly-sub-9:00/mi pace for my long runs, but i feel like garbage when i try to go harder on my short runs. i haven't been super intentional about how i've been doing my running, so i may try to throw in some interval work on my shorter runs this week. i dunno, increasing the mileage hasn't been an issue, but increasing the pace--how do i do that?

i also haven't been intentional about my diet. i've been drinking a lot and not getting enough sleep. like, routinely. ugh.

i'm probably playing with fire in that i have flat feet, and my inserts are across the country, but i've been doing yoga a bunch and stretching, and i haven't had structural or IT band issues, things that have plagued me in the past

gonna do a half in a couple weeks, shooting to finish under two hours. here goes
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

Postby grayfox » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 am

no, hal higdon's plans are fucking terrible. they seem to be designed for people that want to do as little work as humanly possible and just make it to the finish before blacking out

what's a typical week look like for you and what are your race times?
Last edited by grayfox on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby grayfox » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:48 am

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:Disagree — Boston is not a fast course, but it is an incredible experience top to bottom.

some people love it, i didn't enjoy it at all. the logistics of the race really annoyed me, especially sitting in a field for 3 hours before the race

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby based dana scully » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 am

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:Disagree — Boston is not a fast course, but it is an incredible experience top to bottom.

The qualifying standards are an ambitious but reachable goal for serious recreational runners willing to put in the work.

If you ran 3:26 in your first marathon and find you enjoy the training and the grind... consider shooting for a qualifier in a year or two!

Yeah I second this. The atmosphere at Boston is amazing. It's really fun to run the entire race being cheered on by tons of people. It's well worth going for a qualifying time!

based dana scully

Postby based dana scully » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:58 am

sadville wrote:are higdon's plans good? i was thinking about doing a marathon in march. i'm starting to have second thoughts on whether i want to do one then or later. definitely want to do one, though!

i'm consistently hitting a slightly-sub-9:00/mi pace for my long runs, but i feel like garbage when i try to go harder on my short runs. i haven't been super intentional about how i've been doing my running, so i may try to throw in some interval work on my shorter runs this week. i dunno, increasing the mileage hasn't been an issue, but increasing the pace--how do i do that?

i also haven't been intentional about my diet. i've been drinking a lot and not getting enough sleep. like, routinely. ugh.

i'm probably playing with fire in that i have flat feet, and my inserts are across the country, but i've been doing yoga a bunch and stretching, and i haven't had structural or IT band issues, things that have plagued me in the past

gonna do a half in a couple weeks, shooting to finish under two hours. here goes

i won't comment on the hal higdon plans but... typically you want to aim for an 80/20 split of easy running vs faster running. your lifestyle might explain why you feel like garbage on your shorter runs but if you are doing your entire long run at a pace faster than easy (conversational) and then not recovering well, this could explain it too. intervals are a great idea - you could work them into one of your shorter runs and your long run.

based dana scully

Postby based dana scully » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am

dvr wrote:I appreciate the replies about the 50miler grayfox and ouro. I'll probably hold off on it, if anything maybe I'll do a second marathon fall 2019. I'm not too interested in a 50k

counterpoint: I've heard somewhere that a marathon is a great jumping off point for a 50 miler and if you can run a marathon you can complete a 50 miler. I'd say sign up for the 50 miler and be prepared to not race it if your marathon recovery doesn't go as planned. And use the marathon more as a training run rather than an all out race effort. But like ouro said, you'd need to be cognisant that you're increasing your injury risk.

based dana scully

Postby grayfox » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 am

grayfox wrote:no, hal higdon's plans are fucking terrible. they seem to be designed for people that want to do as little work as humanly possible and just make it to the finish before blacking out

what's a typical week look like for you and what are your race times?

bumping for new page

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:45 pm

based dana scully wrote:
sadville wrote:are higdon's plans good? i was thinking about doing a marathon in march. i'm starting to have second thoughts on whether i want to do one then or later. definitely want to do one, though!

i won't comment on the hal higdon plans but... typically you want to aim for an 80/20 split of easy running vs faster running. your lifestyle might explain why you feel like garbage on your shorter runs but if you are doing your entire long run at a pace faster than easy (conversational) and then not recovering well, this could explain it too. intervals are a great idea - you could work them into one of your shorter runs and your long run.

a really easy way to work this into a run is just go 1 min on, 1 min off (or 2 on, 1 off) for some period of time. Like jog for 10 min to warm up, then do this for the rest of your run.

the technical term for this is "fartlek" *giggles*

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby sadville » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:42 am

that's quite the endorsement! (re higdon)

i've basically just been following one of the novice plans--short runs (3, 4, 3) during the week with a long run on the weekend (next long run is 12 miles). i did a half in 2:06 a couple years ago. i'm in worse shape now than i was then, but i also overtrained then, was literally running from sadness, and hurt myself immediately after running. would like to turn this into a reg habit

one of my friends did the nike run club plan and built up to a full marathon. she liked that one, so maybe i'll try it? i'll also take any suggestions. <3 me some fartlek ;)

i may scrap my progress altogether and aim for the nashville marathon in april

thanks for the tips!
Wild nights - Wild nights!
Were I with thee
Wild nights should be
Our luxury!

sadville

Postby grayfox » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:12 am

if you're marathon training, i don't think 3-4 miles during the week is enough. i'd like to see those around 7+ depending on how many times a week you're running. i know it'll be a jump, but i'd recommend bumping it up slowly. try 4s next week, then 5s the week after, etc. it'll go a long way, just slow down to make sure they're easy and conversational.
at the earlier levels, mileage is a huge performance boost

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby hellosir » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:38 am

Wow, hadn't considered qualifying even a possibility. I'm a 32 y/o male, so that'd entail shaving off 26 minutes. That's definitely encouraging, though.

hellosir

Postby Kuboaa » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:19 pm

marathon lotteries are so weird
I get drawn the last 3 years for Chicago, for 2019 I don't get drawn
I was going to enter NYC regardless of Chicago, so here's to hoping I get into that one, if not my 3rd choice is Madison

Kuboaa

Postby grayfox » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:56 pm

i'm not sure what they're based on if you don't qualify on time. you probably get bonus points for living in chicago and having running it before, so kinda weird to get rejected. i know NYC is pretty tough, but you get in if you do other NYCRR races and volunteer at some also.

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby Kuboaa » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:07 pm

yeah, I don't get it, oh well
I will eventually hit the 5 in 10 years threshold and become an auto entry at some point

Kuboaa

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:53 pm

hellosir wrote:

Wow, hadn't considered qualifying even a possibility. I'm a 32 y/o male, so that'd entail shaving off 26 minutes. That's definitely encouraging, though.

if I can nudge you all to think a bit bigger, my work in this thread is done :)

you'd be amazed what's possible when you get committed. it's a lot of work though which is why you should figure out if you like it enough to actually commit.

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby conductor » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:38 pm

hellosir wrote:

I went from 3:43 to 3:24 in a year, with what I'd call moderate effort and training.

That's not even taking into account the fact that you did so well on your first time out. My first was 4 years ago for a blistering 4:23 (?).

Others can feel free to contradict me but I also feel like your second race is almost guaranteed to be faster based on experience alone

conductor

Postby based dana scully » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am

finally got my nike peg 35s! so pleased... i always wait too long to order new shoes.

based dana scully

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:33 am

you may be tickled to know that Alex Van Halen's son Aric Van Halen (yes, that Van Halen) was an accomplished runner at Colorado and an Olympic Trials qualifier in the steeplechase.

https://instagram.com/aric_vh

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby grayfox » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:07 am

won a local 5k this morning. didn't run very fast, it was 40 degrees and pouring rain. after the first quarter mile i was completely alone the entire race, never had to really push/run hard. but hey, $$$

grayfox
the foxiest

Postby based dana scully » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:13 pm

grayfox wrote:won a local 5k this morning. didn't run very fast, it was 40 degrees and pouring rain. after the first quarter mile i was completely alone the entire race, never had to really push/run hard. but hey, $$$

contrats!

based dana scully

Postby clouds » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

gene dykes with a 2:54 marathon at age 70 is something

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2559 ... on-record/

clouds

Postby based dana scully » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:30 pm

clouds wrote:gene dykes with a 2:54 marathon at age 70 is something

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a2559 ... on-record/

Yeah... just insane!

based dana scully

Postby Barthes Starr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:16 am

apologies if this has been covered, but not sure the best way to search for it...

anyone had success (or otherwise) incorporating thc/cbd into their training regimen? been toying w/ the idea as my runs get longer leading up to my first marathon in march

Barthes Starr

Postby creedence tapes » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:07 am

Yea I blaze that shit up before every run. in terms of success in incorporating that into my training regimen it is the key to all my success
creedence tapes

Postby based dana scully » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:09 am

New 10 mile PR - 1:00:57! Woohoo! Had a great fun race, tried to go out hard since I normally start conservative. I’ve never been breathing that hard so early in a race but I managed to hang on!

based dana scully

Postby Barthes Starr » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:16 am

that's a great time, based dana scully
i set a new 10 mile PR yesterday also, 1:09:06

Barthes Starr

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I assume all of based dana scully’s performances are accomplished in arctic conditions whilst being chased by bears

please tell me this is true

Jefferson Zeppelin

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley