Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby powderfinger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 am

Kenny wrote:If I was going to Tokyo for 2 weeks would that be enough time to reasonably go to another city/part of Japan and if so which part should that be?

I was thinking Kyoto or Osaka?

That's plenty of time to go many places without feeling too rushed. It's so damn easy to get around in Japan that I didn't find traveling stressful at all. In two weeks we did:

Tokyo (six nights)
Osaka (two nights)
Miyajima Island and Hiroshima (one night)
Kyoto (four nights)
Tokyo (one night)

I don't regret anything about that itinerary, though for most people I would probably recommend skipping Osaka as an overnight destination and seeing the highlights as a daytrip from Kyoto. I loved Osaka, but we also prioritized being there overnight on the weekend so we could go clubbing. If you're not trying to party and just want to sightsee, it's probably not worth an overnight stay at the expense of more nights in Kyoto/Tokyo or perhaps a more off-the-beaten path spot.
powderfinger

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 am

u will neeevvvveeeer have 'enough time' for tokyo so just roll with it. deciding on kyoto vs osaka however depends entirely on what ur after. i spent six months on exchange in osaka and also didnt feel like that was enough lol.

i have lots of friends that post pix on facebook of 'whirlwind' tours doing a city a day or like three days and it makes me want to scream.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby sailormoonvillain666@aol.com » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:27 am

lol ur post wasnt up when i was writing mine so pls dont take it as a dig! good timing however.
remember to please don't feed the trolls ;)
sailormoonvillain666@aol.com
(◠‿◠✿)(◠‿◠✿) kvlt (✿◠‿◠)(✿◠‿◠)

Postby powderfinger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:37 am

Given that the cost/logistics of getting to Japan from North America or Europe, the amount of vacation time most people have to work with, and the relative ease of getting around Japan, it is better-suited for covering a lot of ground than most places you can visit. Realistically that two week trip is all most people will ever get. Make the most of it.

That said, some people take that way too far. DO NOT spend time lurking /r/JapanTravel. Don't even search it for advice. Those people are insane.
powderfinger

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:46 am

I mean, I'm guessing that Tokyo will be the focus of the trip but I want to see something else besides just the biggest city and a representation of something else. Like to be silly about it, I've wanted to go to Takamatsu after reading Kafka on the Shore years and years ago
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby powderfinger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:15 am

Kenny wrote:I mean, I'm guessing that Tokyo will be the focus of the trip but I want to see something else besides just the biggest city and a representation of something else. Like to be silly about it, I've wanted to go to Takamatsu after reading Kafka on the Shore years and years ago

I'm saying, you can see a lot! To put a finer point on it, as amazing as Tokyo is, you are massively shortchanging yourself if you spend more than half of a two-week trip there IMO.

Spend some time in Kyoto and you still have a few days to follow your whimsy to places like Takamatsu.
powderfinger

Postby Kenny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 am

kewl thanks dude! I'll do some more planning. This is a far future plan, I'd like to save a chunk of change
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby dusky » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 am

whatever you do, fly into one city and out of another
dusky

Postby hi-res » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:30 pm

edit: didn't refresh thread, i see plenty of good opinions have already answered petty's question.
hi-res

Postby Stuntman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 pm

My opinion could not have changed more since page one of this thread. It turns out that being with a group of rowdy students living in Greater Tokyo makes the Tokyo experience far less enjoyable. Going there by myself made me appreciate the city in ways that were impossible in a group. I definitely think you should spend as much time in Tokyo as possible.

I love Kyoto fwiw, but for different reasons. There are more shrines and temples than you can see in a week and they're all beautiful. Wherever you choose to spend your time, for the love of god do not rush yourself. The last time I was there was for a wedding and I let the groom plan the last leg of the trip and he just wanted to hit up every possible shrine and temple in a 5-day window which meant that we were only spending about two hours per location and couldn't go down certain paths because they were too long. We took a bullet train to Hiroshima just so we could spend an hour at Itsukushima. It was the worst. Don't do that.
Stuntman
AKA Ron

Postby Stuntman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Also Petty you probably already know this but you need to go to Super Potato in Akihabara. It was made for you.
Stuntman
AKA Ron

Postby Stuntman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 pm

I've only been to Osaka once and it was just to see fireworks in Dotombori but after playing Yakuza 0 I want to spend like two weeks there.
Stuntman
AKA Ron

Postby new blood, old hat » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:56 am

Osaka rules

Shinsekai is so corny I love it
i was just going to suggest that maybe everybody should cool out maybe
new blood, old hat
ok

Postby tarantula » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:20 am

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-62-supernova-in-the-east-i/

goes into isolated japanese soldiers in foreign lands having to be alerted that wwII was over in like 1975
tarantula

Postby chad » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:23 pm

konbanwa...
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby jca » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:18 pm

deadbass wrote:My wife and I are flying out tonight to Tokyo for 3 weeks. Indescribably excited right now!

We're doing:

1) Tokyo
2) Magome-Tsumago walk
3) Kanazawa
4) Kyoto (and Kansai region stuff)
5) Naoshima
6) Onomichi island hopping bike ride
7) Hiroshima/Miyajima
8) Fukuoka
9) Hakone and then flying home

Thank you everyone for all the awesome suggestions in the thread.

Deadbass
How was Kanazawa?
jca

Postby deadbass » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 pm

I really loved it. It's quite small and feels quiet relative to any other city we went to. The gardens were incredible and a highlight of the trip for sure - just thinking about them makes me happy. The 21st century art museum is really cool, and I'd recommend the DT Suzuki museum as well. Suzuki helped to popularize and educate the west about Zen buddhism, and the museum is an account of his life and philosophy. It's not far away from the castle/gardens/21st century museum, and it's a very interesting building and the entire space is extremely Zen. Also, the samurai district and Geisha districts are great and very intact (Kanazawa was untouched during the war). You can basically walk anywhere within 20 minutes... It's sleepy but we really liked that about it.

Food was amazing - best burger I've ever eaten in my life at Godburger (the guy who runs it is a sweetheart), great sushi at Kourin sushi (near Kanazawa castle), and we tried Kanazawa style curry (at Turban curry, which I believe invented it? I might have misunderstood) based on Godburger dude's recommendation and it was really good (it's very caramel-y and delicious; pretty different from other Japanese curries). Oh and if you like coffee my wife raved about Curio cafe (which is near Omicho market). Oh yeah, Omicho market was cool too.

Random recommendation: walk around the Geisha districts and around the castle at night. The lighting is really cool and it's super quiet.
deadbass

Postby deadbass » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 pm

I honestly just want to go back to Japan. I loved it so much and was sad to leave.
deadbass

Postby dusky » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:56 pm

I thought after visiting 3 times in 3 years I would be ready to give Japan a break, but I really think I’m going to end up going again next spring.
dusky

Postby jca » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:06 pm

What are people’s experiences with having tattoos in japan? I wanna go to Teshima but am reading I can’t have visible tattoos?
jca

Postby deadbass » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:38 pm

My understanding was that it’s really only a problem with onsen or sento (everyone I visited had warning signs posted). I can’t imagine they’d bar you from an art museum for having a tattoo. Where are you reading that?
deadbass

Postby jca » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Yeah that makes sense. This was a tattoo artist posting on IG about her brother getting diasapproving looks at an onsen. Not sure how exaggerated that is
jca

Postby deadbass » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:23 pm

It's real. Some onsens will provide you with medical tape to cover smaller tattoos, but if it's a big one, you'll have to find an onsen/sento that's okay with it or use a private one.
deadbass

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:46 pm

yeah, you definitely want to check with the onsen before going. i was reading an article a few weeks ago that it's starting to become more acceptable, but.

there's a relatively new site that lists tattoo-friendly onsens

https://tattoo-friendly.jp/
who we are- laid back, eco-conscious, informal, off the cuff, good music, no bullshit...
a-10 warthog champion

Postby a-10 warthog champion » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 pm

personally found kyoto to be pretty boring, i wouldnt spend more than two nights there on a less than two week trip.

the stuff that's there is awesome but unless you're really into it it feels really dead, except when it's overwhelmingly touristy. i was there around golden week, though, so who knows.
who we are- laid back, eco-conscious, informal, off the cuff, good music, no bullshit...
a-10 warthog champion

Postby nocents » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:14 am

I'll be in Japan from 9/29 to 10/13 if anyone wants to hang out =)

Traveling solo, trying to figure out an itinerary. I fly in/out of Tokyo, and am thinking of spending about 5 nights there, then going to Kyoto, then maybe trying to find a quiet place to stay in rural central Japan where I can read books and go on biking tours and look at mountains. Any tips for good quiet places are appreciated =)
nocents

Postby Cone » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Gonna be in Tokyo September 4-10 for work and I’m stoked as hell. I’ll probably spend any free time I get shopping so I’d appreciate any reccs for good camera or guitar shops if anybody knows any. I’ll comb through this thread for other stuff too.
Cone

Postby Cone » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Man there is nothing else on this earth that compares to Shibuya Crossing on a Saturday night
Cone

Postby dusky » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:24 pm

when i first saw it i actually had no idea where exactly i was or what i was about to experience when the light turned green. truly an obe
dusky

Postby orenji » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Some other things not really mentioned in this thread are earthquakes and typhoons. Someone bump the Japan is fucked thread.
かかってこい!
orenji

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....