gardening thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Ted Pikul » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:48 pm

the snake plant is the coolest house plant
evil olive wrote:Holy shit this is the most Ted Pikul post ever. Just replace your signature now.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby milano boy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:04 pm

i have one of these in my apt, this is actualyl a photo of my apt

milano boy

Postby kit fox » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm

if you have a window that gets good indirect light a jade plant is awesome and impossible to kill

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby big zorb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:45 pm

milano boy wrote:i have one of these in my apt, this is actualyl a photo of my apt

don't lie to me, i've been in your apartment many times
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].

drop me a line at elzorbie@gmail.com

big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby Marza » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Growing little avacado plants is fun!

Money plants, pothos' and snake plants are good for beginners as they don't need a lot of light/maintenance.

I've got a long hallway that doesn't get much light and am thinking of maybe lining with with fluoros so something crawling can grow along it. Does anyone here have experience with non-weed indoor growing?

Marza

Postby brent » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:14 pm

i had a money plant for like 2 years, it rocked

brent

Postby galactagogue » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:46 pm

first question is what kind of exposure does your window get
Da Bing Boy wrote:future of work is going to be hilarious, actually

galactagogue

Postby kit fox » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:50 am

Marza wrote:Growing little avacado plants is fun!

Money plants, pothos' and snake plants are good for beginners as they don't need a lot of light/maintenance.

I've got a long hallway that doesn't get much light and am thinking of maybe lining with with fluoros so something crawling can grow along it. Does anyone here have experience with non-weed indoor growing?

yeah, i think this could be really cool. how intense do you want to get with it? I had some success with english ivy in a hanging planter situation and a fixture with three LED halogen replacements in it. If you're able to install new fixtures and such you could do some really cool stuff with some trellises mounted on the wall and the plants climbing up it.

if you're able to go one step further and box in the fixtures so the light goes straight down at the plants that'd be even better because flouros that are good for plants don't have very pleasing lighting for humans to hang out in. Then you could have the lights shining down the wall at the crawling plants and still have overhead lighting that doesn't have a cold industrial vibe.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Marza » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:42 pm

english ivy would be so sick. I can't really rewire anything right now, so given my power outlet situation I think I'm going to have to do something small scale as a trial first. Maybe vertical up the wall instead or horizontal.

like this:

with ivy draped over it? that's probably not how plants work though, huh.

Marza

Postby kit fox » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:48 pm

no I think that would work. if you can somehow affix a trellis in front of it english ivy, creeping fig, or pothos should love a situation like that. philodendron might need too much light though my ex had one that did really well with just her floor lamps in her living room and some indirect light from a nearby window.

years ago I had all these plans drawn up for a hanging garden at my old house and then i moved. oh well.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Marza » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:54 pm

home depot here I come :D

at least you got your stoning garden ha! ha!

Marza

Postby kit fox » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:24 pm

true, though it would have been cool to grow tomatoes in my stair landing!! it was the second to third floor landing and had a huge south facing window with nothing obstructing it since it was so high up. ahh if only I wasn't such a stoner back then. I'm not even really much of a stoner now, despite my gardening proclivities. How is your project coming?

got one seed sprouted, it actually poked out last night, I was waiting, hoping to get a pic of two seedlings. The other one is just below the soil, i can see some green in there so I'm not too worried. It'll probably pop out by tomorrow morning. I've read five days is basically the limit before you just throw it out and start over. They're in a 5 gallon bucket inside the bottom of a water jug i cut open, with a heat mat wrapped around them set to 75 degrees. I am a little nervous that the tips of the first true leaves coming out are white (soil/nutrients might be too hot) but it's a fuckin weed so I'm not going to sweat it until it's fully emerged.

I'm gonna type out a little bit about the feeding schedule compared to what the last plants got sort of for my own posterity because it's fairly complicated and I'm trying to understand it better and partly because the way it works might be interesting for others (I have no idea what level of intensity vegetable gardeners get in to online about their nutrients but you might be able to guess that all the weed growing boards are super intense). The nutrient line I'm using is definitely marketed for marijuana growers (real wink wink style unlike a lot of the others for some reason) but they have a lot of videos using peppers and tomatoes and they look fantastic. It's not a BIG BUD XL VERY LARGE YIELD kind of nutrient line, the goal is to bring out the best quality crop even if it isn't massive, snapping the stalk level fruits. They will be vibrant visually and full flavored. It's called Nectar for the Gods and it's all bone meal/calcium based, so definitely not vegan, but it is all organic. The idea is that a calcium based line with humic acids and other things that chelate the calcium allows the calcium to bind to good organic nutrients that ride in to the plant with the calcium at a much quicker rate than they normally would, because the calcium makes them immediately available to the plant without microbe digestion first.

Before I just did a super simple living organic grow. Every watering they got 10ml/g liquid seaweed, 1tbsp molasses, in RO water pHd to around 6.8, inoculated my soil with the URB line of microbes and regular compost teas (urb, compost, worm castings, molasses, liquid seaweed, high PK fertilizer during bloom), and inoculated the roots with mycorrhizae that have a symbiotic relationship with the plant - offering nutrients to the roots and feeding off the plant's excess sugars. There are tons of microbe products available, URB was recommended by my favorite youtube cannabis cultivator, cali green, and the mycorrhizae is from blue planet nutrients, it's called root magic. I'd recommend mycorrhizae to all the gardeners, I had zero transplant shock with any of the plants, and I have to think it's because the fungi allowed them to not skip a beat in nutrient uptake.

Now, the flaw in my system last time was that I used General Hydroponics pH up for all my pH adjustments, and apparently this is bad because it uses potassium hydroxide which can't be broken down by the soil microbes, so it builds up in the soil over time unlike in a hydroponic system where everything is constantly circulating, being flushed, and refilled. As it turns out, I shouldn't have even really been messing with the pH much at all because the soil microbes and the compost teas I was making were sufficient to keep the pH in check. So I was showing signs of phosphorous deficiency, which I then realized was because of the high soil pH, so I was researching organic methods to amend the pH and I found the Nectar line. Apparently the calcium in nectar can bond with the potassium nitrate and make it in to a form that can be digested by the microbes, eliminating it from the soil and lowering the pH. I tried it and it worked! so I was convinced to try the whole line. I got a free sample pack that should last me this whole run, then I'll decide whether I want to stick with it, it's not particularly cheap. It's pretty crazy that they send these packs out to anyone who asks for them though, you just pay shipping. https://www.oregonsonly.com/samples/

ANYWAY this line apparently is extremely pH dependent. You can get in to big problems with the calcium locking out other nutrients if the pH goes outside 6.3-6.8 or the ppms get out of wack. This is where all my undergrad lab assistant experience will finally come in handy. The basic nutrients I'm using for the seedling stage are (they have really dumb names): Herculean Harvest (Liquid Bone Meal 0-6-0), Zeus Juice (fulvic and humic acid, liquid seaweed, .5-4-0), Gaia Mania (Enzymatically processed Soybean meal extract, feather meal, bone meal, worm castings, Humic acids and Kelp extract, 1-5-1), Medusa's Magic (the main nitrogen source, it's a bunch of similar enzymatically digested stuff, 2-5-2), and SLF100, an enzyme formula that keeps the root zone clean and amenable to good microbes. I pH them to 6.3 and will be doing a cycle of feed, feed, tea, feed, feed, flush. "flush" is just herculean harvest pH'd between 6.3 and 6.8 and allowed to saturate the soil. Later in the growth cycle there will be some other additions but these are the core. The part I'm most excited for is the Bloom Khaos, which apparently contains some proprietary ingredient that is applied through foliar feeding that causes the plant to just be RAVENOUS for calcium, which means it pulls up just a TON of nutrients that are all riding in with the calcium. I've read that the addition of bloom khaos is where things can become a problem for inexperienced growers so I'll have to make sure that my soil ppms and pH are in the right spot, and that I've bumped up the levels of calcium I'm feeding when it comes time to apply it. I'll probably wait until the plants have been transplanted and recovered to apply it, so probably about 3 and a half weeks from now.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby galactagogue » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:41 pm

ive only started to get into foliar feeding with my brugmansia and tomatillos are the first fruiting plant I've ver dealt with. I can't really figure out if it made any difference in my case though because I think that my brugs showed signs of an infection (i hope it's not verticillium wilt) shortly after. :((

anyway, would be into see your progress kit !

galactagogue

Postby kit fox » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:42 pm

on Sunday I hit my succulents with the left overs from the seedling's feeding, already got some strong new growth:

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:49 pm

galactagogue wrote:ive only started to get into foliar feeding with my brugmansia and tomatillos are the first fruiting plant I've ver dealt with. I can't really figure out if it made any difference in my case though because I think that my brugs showed signs of an infection (i hope it's not verticillium wilt) shortly after. :((

anyway, would be into see your progress kit !

I had the same issue with the last grow, i'd foliar feed with a weak liquid seaweed solution and like...i don't know if it did anything. they didn't seem to perk up or anything, it just seemed like it evaporated away pretty quickly. I read some stuff that said it's best to foliar feed in the morning before lights come on which is fine it just means i have to wake up earlier, or just before lights out but that seems like an invitation for mildew even with fans running.

I'm excited to see your tomatillos and chinese lanterns! sometimes i get wild chinese lanterns in my backyard and they're so pretty and precious.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:23 pm

omg i just read about verticillium wilt, that sounds really fucking annoying.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby galactagogue » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:08 pm

lol it sucks !!! but plant diagnosis is like the webMD for gardeners so i hope im just totally wrong and the these cold snaps are the reason for the stunted growth so far :$

galactagogue

Postby it’s frank » Thu May 02, 2019 6:22 pm

kit fox wrote:
Frank wrote:nah, kit is in Michigan
I’m buying some seeds and gonna grow some at my friend’s grow place

hell yeah. any idea what you want to try out?

im still waiting for some clarity on the law, i cant find anything about specific rules for growing except 12 plant max, unlimited possession of your own harvests. like, it says no possession within 1000 feet of a park, and theres one two blocks over about 800 feet away. can i grow outside on my own property despite this as long as my gate is locked and it isnt visible from the street? in ann arbor i can walk down the street with a joint in my pocket and be fine but what about other places? my parents are in troy and troy opted out of having dispensaries, but could they grow their own still? could i go over there and bring them some? i know i CAN but is it legal? it will be interesting to see what the final regulations look like.

doing this has definitely gotten me interested in gardening again, and I let my garden go the last 3 years hoping that will take care of my squash borer problem. so I'd like to put up a fence, whitewash it, and then get my garden back in shape and maybe try outdoors next season when things are a little clearer.

Have 20 seeds of feminized skywalker OG on the way! Growing some indoors with a friend who already grows (clones), and a few outside on a deck. Might even plant one in the ground just because. This is all new to me, so this should be fun.

it’s frank

Postby galactagogue » Thu May 02, 2019 6:38 pm

can i ask what it is about growing weed specifically that really gets people excited about gardening? tone: sincere

galactagogue

Postby Julius Sumner Miller » Thu May 02, 2019 7:05 pm

I know I am late to this, but as an avid houseplant grower, my tops are:

1.) Pothos -- almost impossible to kill. Plus buying a single $4 plant gets you an infinite number more: you buy one, let it grow a little, then cut off a stem, and plant it in another pot. I think we've got three in the house right now.

I used to think they didn't need any light -- I've seen them growing in basements -- but I've got one in a dark room, and while it it alive, it's barely grown.

2.) Croton -- I've got one that's like 7-8 years old. It's beautiful. I worked in an office with zero natural light, and there was a croton that was like 5 feet tall growing off the florescents.

3.) Arrowhead -- I have managed to kill one of these by not watering it for a couple of weeks, but it is otherwise pretty bulletproof.

4.) ZZ plant. Requires basically no light.

5.) Wandering Jew. Unfortunate name but lovely plant. Needs a bit of light though.

I love jades, but I've killed them. They need light and well drained soil.

Snake plants fucking suck. I've killed every one I've ever had.

Julius Sumner Miller

Postby it’s frank » Thu May 02, 2019 7:15 pm

I’ve been veggie gardening for years and love my houseplants, so not exactly new. Just never grew weed.

it’s frank

Postby it’s frank » Thu May 02, 2019 7:23 pm

I just split my long overdue Aloe Vera. Has anyone ever made juice before? What else should I do with it?

it’s frank

Postby lights » Thu May 02, 2019 7:26 pm

galactagogue wrote:can i ask what it is about growing weed specifically that really gets people excited about gardening? tone: sincere

For me it was the fact that you really have to manipulate the plant to get into an optimal shape if you're growing in a tent. Since they normally grow like evergreen trees, you'll have better results if you create an even canopy, and there's a ton of different ways to do that. That kind of introduced me to the idea of tying down plants to change their shape, strategically trimming them, etc, all of which I found really interesting to learn about and try to put into practice. On top of that it's really hard to fuck em up, but there's a lot of room to produce a better crop, which makes for a nice learning curve.

lights

Postby galactagogue » Thu May 02, 2019 7:27 pm

yeah pot plants seem highly technical. it's interesting to me how it at least seems, from the outside, that people start with this or jump into it first. it's very intimidating to me tbh.

galactagogue

Postby kit fox » Sun May 05, 2019 8:31 pm

galactagogue wrote:can i ask what it is about growing weed specifically that really gets people excited about gardening? tone: sincere

for me it's that I like to smoke weed, love to have a hobby that involves a lot of tinkering, building, and problem solving, and there is tons of gear for me to spend my time researching/gazing longingly at.

plus all the different ways people have come up with to manipulate the plants and the genetics is fascinating, and the nutrients available and learning about soil science, and there are so many resources online for it. it scratches all my overthinking itches in every aspect of the process. I'm still just a lurker on the cannabis forums I go to for info but maybe some day I will post.

I liked gardening before but my backyard hasn't been very successful except for the hops so it's been hard to get excited about my three pale san marzanos and more green beans than I could ever eat

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Frank wrote:
Have 20 seeds of feminized skywalker OG on the way! Growing some indoors with a friend who already grows (clones), and a few outside on a deck. Might even plant one in the ground just because. This is all new to me, so this should be fun.

hell yeah!

feminized seeds are one of those cool things that really interest me about weed. my purple bud was getting a little long in the tooth and threw out a couple "bananas" which is a male staminate flower, in an effort to reproduce with itself before dying. Because it's a female plant, any seeds produced will also be female, so I plucked the nanners and folded them up in some paper and put them in the fridge. Once I get another tent I plan on doing a run to produce feminized seeds from the pollen in the bananas and the two strains I've liked the most so far.

update on the 2 i've got going right now:

Skunk #1 #1 is good though I wish it was a little bigger, but I'm relieved that the white tips seem to be a genetic thing since the other seed has them too. I had to toss Skunk #1 #2 because its tap root got tangled up in the seed husk and basically rotted away. I sort of saw this coming when it wasn't emerging and started another seed just in case. Skunk #1 #3 is now out and reaching for the light. This is kind of a problem though - These seeds are autoflower, which means they finish in a set timeframe no matter the light cycle. Normal pot plants are photosensitive and only begin flowering once the light cycle flips to 12 on/12 off. These just automatically start flowering after a couple weeks, as they're strains that have been crossed with wild cannabis from regions where the growing season isn't long enough for the plants to survive late enough in to the sun's cycle to "flip" to flowering. So the problem will be that when the one plant is done the other one will still have a week to go, and I'd like to hang them to dry in the tent, but won't be able to chop one and then wait on the other, so either I'll let the one go too long and it will give a "couch lock" kind of high, or I harvest the other early and get a more speedy, heady kind of high. I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it though.

here they are yesterday:

the other plants are all dried and trimmed and are in jars curing, they smell unbelievable. got 1 1/4 oz from each plant which is a little more than my goal of 1 oz each, so I'm stoked!

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Sun May 05, 2019 8:52 pm

speaking of tinkering and gear, though this may be a post for that weed thread, I got about 10 grams of shake/popcorn buds from each plant so I'm gonna try and make a DIY rosin press and make my own cartridges with it.

kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby galactagogue » Wed May 08, 2019 11:57 am

galactagogue

Postby Klint » Wed May 08, 2019 12:03 pm

We planted everything in our garden last Sunday. There's an "Eco-Village" intentional community right by our house that has an heirloom plant sale every year. Planted some onions, tomatoes, eggplant, sweet potatoes, zucchini, squash, pickling cucumbers, herbs, and a bunch of weird peppers.
Last edited by Klint on Wed May 08, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mites wrote:going back to ruining my life with drugs and drink and listening to public image ltd

Klint

Postby galactagogue » Wed May 08, 2019 12:06 pm

:)) that's lovely. i also like that you've paved with rocks

galactagogue

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley