Postby brody » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Oharu is so so good
brody

Postby aububs » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:55 pm

i liked it! had a good time w/ my coke + m&m's. die hard rip off poster is cool

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:08 pm

for some reason, I put on How To Talk To Girls at Parties and I don't hate it at all. I didn't know it was going to be weird
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:22 pm

the best movie since dude, where's my car
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby forest design » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Watched the blu of Blood Simple the other night. First time in maybe a decade. Really good. I kinda miss that empty feeling they achieved on this film. As much as I love their later work, you always feel their presence hovering over the project and it's far less pronounced in this one and it makes a big difference in the way the movie moves and feels..

The extras with them and Barry Sonnenfeld watching and commenting on the movie is great.
forest design

Postby haddonfield » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 pm

madness and chaos wrote:the best movie since dude, where's my car

it's really nuts how similar those two movies feel. couldn't stop thinking about that when i was watching it.
haddonfield

Postby Tuba Gooding Jr » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am

Cries and Whispers (1972) - This movie is like a daydream about a childhood visit to Grief, the amusement park. All the reds and whites conspire to make this feel like something both dream and memory. It's devastating, spectacular, and, most importantly, faithful to its title.

I'm gifted and gonna sell sex
Tuba Gooding Jr

Postby pink snake » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:37 am

I saw Sorry To Bother You the other day and liked it a whole lot.
pink snake

Postby nice pass » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:53 am

ok team, this is what i have saved on my computer and will be attempting to watch over the weekend. any of these need to be moved to the front of the queue?

a ciambra
the equalizer
7 splinters in time
from nowhere
isle of dogs
siberia
sollers point
the devils door
three blind mice
nice pass
ok

Postby Melville » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm

People watching so many great movies in here. Especially all the Bergman. Persona is probably my favorite of his, but all those scenes of torment and creeping death in Cries and Whispers are seared into my brain. The doctor's verbal laceration of Liv Ullmann is brutal.
Melville

Postby Melville » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:30 pm

brody wrote:Oh man I hate Wind River so much

Why the hate? I thought it was pretty solid. Though I'm predisposed to like any movie with a wintry atmosphere.
Melville

Postby brody » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:08 pm

These were my thoughts when I saw it

brody wrote:wind river

ehhhh it held my attention all the way through so i can't totally condemn this but there was a lot that bothered me about it. sheridan's camera is noticeable in the worst way possible, particularly in those sweeping aerial shots of the landscape and that dumb first-person shooter scene with (i think?) elizabeth olsen. the writing is pretty slipshod, not just in the clunky dialogue which seems to consist mainly of variants on "life isn't fair" but also the overall structure. didn't think the flashback worked well at all and it was like they couldn't decide whether they wanted it to be a murder-mystery, a meditation on loss, or a shoot-em-up in the snow

still, it was pretty involving and i liked seeing a movie with a significant number of native americans (though those characters become fairly sidelined as it goes on). it was like reading a disposable paperback thriller on an airplane

The more I think about it, the less I like it. Shrug
brody

Postby Plainsong » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:18 pm

After Hours (1985)- Martin Scorsese
This was fantastic.
A Matter Of Life And Death (1946)- Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
Loved everything about it. The transitions from black and white to colour were great.
Baby Face (1933)- Alfred E. Green
Really enjoyed it. Stanwyck was brilliant.
Bad Timing (1980)- Nicholas Roeg
This was brilliant.
Plainsong

Postby aububs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:08 pm

really liked this. it actually has a pretty decent plot which i guess is an added bonus if, like me, you're really just watching it for the aesthetics. but then if you're watching jean rollin movies for anything other than the aesthetics you may be deranged. plot is irrelevant. great movie. i wonder what it was like to see rollin movies in the 70s when they were contemporary. and i wonder who the secret rollin of today is.

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Pris » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Recently been watching

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)
Blast of Silence (1961) - Awesome classic loner cinema. Reccomended!
Couple of Sharknado's
Shock Waves (1977) - Surprisingly good! Came for the underwater nazi zombies, stayed for the weirdo creepy atmosphere
Mark of the Vampire (1935) - It's Bela and some wonderfully weird girl vampire and they're so great just standing around
Aliens: Zone of Silence (2017) - I pretty much watch any found footage horror, but it rarely goes above 4/10 for me. This one was worse. It has nothing going on.
Thunderbolt (1929) - I love George Bancroft & Von Sternberg silents. This one was okay, but it feels like it's got some scenes missing. Go see fucking Underworld before this one.

Last edited by Pris on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pris

Postby aububs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:23 pm

love Shock Waves
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Plainsong » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Black Orpheus (1959)- Marcel Camus
Really liked it. The music was great.
Black Naricissus (1947)- Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
Loved it, everything about it was brilliant.
Branded To Kill (1967)-Seijun Suzuki
First Suzuki i've seen and I highly enjoyed it.
Plainsong

Postby Pris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm

That reveal scene in Black Narcissus was breathtaking. One of many films I'd love to see on the big screen.
Pris

Postby dvr » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Hanging Garden (2005)

This was great!! Modern Japan kinda arty but with a steady moving plot.
dvr

Postby ANU » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm

hong sang soo - the day after

hss killed me
ANU

Postby haddonfield » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:41 am

Can’t tell you how happy it makes me whenever I see The Day After get love. It’s a masterpiece.
haddonfield

Postby Plainsong » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:43 am

brody wrote:Oharu is so so good

Definitely, loved the romance scene between Oharu and Katsunosuke. That scene and many others were just soul-crushing.
Plainsong

Postby Plainsong » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:47 am

Pris wrote:That reveal scene in Black Narcissus was breathtaking. One of many films I'd love to see on the big screen.

Yeah, pretty much any Powell or Pressburger film would be amazing to see in a theatre. Loved the way Black Narcissus just turns into an almost psychological horror film, found it jarring and brilliant. The use of Technicolour was beautiful and kinda wish they would bring it back if it's possible.
Plainsong

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:27 am

Sweet Country (2017)

A very good Australian film. Loved it.
Reliable Tradesman

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:15 am

Saw Wind River, it was fine but really pushes the cheese at times. I actually didn't really like Eizabeth Olsen's performance, it was real awkward.
tricksforchips

Postby mellowgold » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 am

wow
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Melville » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:31 am

brody wrote:These were my thoughts when I saw it

brody wrote:wind river

ehhhh it held my attention all the way through so i can't totally condemn this but there was a lot that bothered me about it. sheridan's camera is noticeable in the worst way possible, particularly in those sweeping aerial shots of the landscape and that dumb first-person shooter scene with (i think?) elizabeth olsen. the writing is pretty slipshod, not just in the clunky dialogue which seems to consist mainly of variants on "life isn't fair" but also the overall structure. didn't think the flashback worked well at all and it was like they couldn't decide whether they wanted it to be a murder-mystery, a meditation on loss, or a shoot-em-up in the snow

still, it was pretty involving and i liked seeing a movie with a significant number of native americans (though those characters become fairly sidelined as it goes on). it was like reading a disposable paperback thriller on an airplane

The more I think about it, the less I like it. Shrug

Sounds like your initial reaction wasn't too far off "pretty solid", and the paperback-thriller description is pretty accurate. But I liked how low-key it felt. And I thought everything was so shot through with the "meditation on loss" aspect -- and the feeling of hopelessness and isolation of the community -- that it didn't feel distinct from the murder-mystery narrative. The big flashback felt like a good culmination of that for me.
Melville

Postby tricksforchips » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:01 am

The flashback felt like they needed to service the audience and to explicitly show us what happened, which wasn't necessary at all. It also comes in the middle of an incredibly tense sequence, pretty much sterilizing the tension built up to that point... for what? To show a grotesque rape on camera? I don't think it was necessary and there were far better ways narratively to hint/point at the crew's involvement.
tricksforchips

Postby Gnarls » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 am

Some Came Running - I'm trying to rewatch more movies that I love. Even better on a second viewing, what an indictment of the 50s. Has anyone read the book? I don't associate James Jones with the type of sensitivity that bleeds all over this movie.

Also what's everyone's favorite CinemaScope shot?
Gnarls

Postby mystery meat » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 am

my buddy who's read the book says it's overwritten garbage and a steep drop from From Here to Eternity and that the movie is way better. i bought it at a bookstore once but then realized after the fact it was the abridged version lol. i fucking love Shirley MacLaine in this movie and i have my doubts that James Jones coulda captured feminine power/agency the way Minnelli just kinda naturally did in every movie he ever made. Martha Hyer as a frigid embankment of 50s social conservatism being face to face with her in that classroom is staggering imo.
mystery meat

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....