last movie watched.

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Thrustin Jeroux » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 pm

i liked that post
you are only coming through in waves
Thrustin Jeroux

Postby groupb » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 pm

i just watched the two most recent Marc Webb movies b2b.. not sure how that happened

- The Only Living Boy In NY (wanted to see Jeff Bridges in that old neighbour mentor role. i got Jeff Bridges saying "Visions of Johanna.." a bunch of times.. because Beckinsale's character is conveniently named Johanna, you seeToggle Spoiler. sort of watchable, but pass)
- Gifted (bit better. kid did a good job. Evans was OK. couple of tearjerking moments)

groupb

Postby ero guro vidal (aka todd) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:13 pm

I do like William Hurt giving that sanctamonious captain a a good dressing down. Like fuck you, Steve!
https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy
https://letterboxd.com/SwampMeat/

Jim Belush Twitter wrote:@JimBelushi
Dec 29
Apparently, a lot of people think anime and cannabis go together. I guess I’m set!

ero guro vidal (aka todd)

Postby Gnarls » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 pm

Body Heat - Something about good Florida movies and books. It grips me like no other state can.
Last edited by Gnarls on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnarls

Postby Gnarls » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 pm

John Heard > William Hurt > John Hurt

Gnarls

Postby Jake SPEED » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:42 am

Body Heat dope. That scene where Danson is questioning Hurt and says the little girl saw a Mexican gentleman and Hurt gives this weird “huhuhuh” laugh and incredulous smile is incredible. Rourke is awesome but it always killed me that he was jamming to a wank Seger tune instead of, like the Dead Boys or Johnny Thunders.
Jake SPEED

Postby relevee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:05 am

mother joan of angels (1961) - jerzy kawalerowicz
polish film based on the loudun possessions. it kinda shares the aesthetic and philosophical qualities of a bergman, focusing on the psychology of the characters rather than anything supernatural

god told me to (1976) - larry cohen
pretty good high-concept sleaze. i like how its got the audacity to swing for the fences but i dunno if cohen as a director can really get it there

atlantic city (1980) - louis malle
good movie. lancaster/sarandon’s relationship here could be gross but its handled well. lancaster’s got way too much dignity and grace

summer with monika (1953) - ingmar bergman
filling in some of my bergman gaps. the straight-to-camera cigarette drag harriet andersson gives towards the end of this is the realest shit ever

klute (1971) - alan j. pakula
its sick how confident this film is in using darkness and negative space within the frame. like a textiles factory after dark, apartment hallways, a drug dealer's apartment.. all these very specific environments are totally sapped of their incredible atmosphere and energy if you light it like a studio (which this doesnt!)
relevee

Postby kylie minogue » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:01 pm

paddington - very good, very wholesome
paddington 2 - mostly good, paddington himself felt like a b-plot and hugh grant was great
hahaha mad me chuckle that

kylie minogue

Postby Plainsong » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:18 pm

The Phantom Carriage (1921)- Victor Sjostrom
Amazing film, found it equally beautiful and heart-breaking. Loved the use of special effects and can definitely see how this was a big influence on Bergman.
Two Or Three Things I Know About Her (1967)- Jean-Luc Godard
Really enjoyed it. The cafe scenes were great.
Wings Of Desire (1987)- Wim Wenders
Loved it, especially the Bruno Ganz and Peter Falk scenes. Loved The Bad Seeds and Crime and City cameos.
The High Sign (1921)- Buster Keaton, Edward F. Cline
Loved it. The bell gag and the secret passages gag were great.

Plainsong

Postby shizaam » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:36 pm

first time in years, watched terminator 2

shizaam

Postby Repo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:06 pm

"The Masque of the Red Death" (R. Corman, 1964)

cool stuff, love vincent price and photography by nicolas roeg

Repo

Postby Fr. Blanc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Phantom Carriage fucking rules! I think we did a big Sjostrom suggestion day itt not long ago but check out Outlaw and his Wife if you can find it

Fr. Blanc

Postby Fr. Blanc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Adrift (2018)
Oh dear. This is a good role for Woodley - crunchy, vegetarian, 80s sea- and island-wanderer. But it is straight up film 101 in structure, featuring a romance with Sam Claflin that I ain't buying and a right turn that we all see coming. Based on a true survival at sea story fwiw but its not w much.

Fr. Blanc

Postby Melville » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 pm

alex wrote:lancaster’s got way too much dignity and grace

Lancaster is awesome. Have you seen Robert Siodmak's Criss Cross? One of the best movies, and Lancaster is great in it.

Melville

Postby ANU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:06 pm

nm

ANU

Postby khal yeezus » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:24 pm

khal yeezus

Postby mystery meat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Criss Cross is a fucking marvel

mystery meat

Postby mystery meat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:33 pm

khal yeezus wrote:Image

seeing this tomorrow with boarder theta, gonna be sick

mystery meat

Postby landspeedrecord » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 pm

phantom of the paradise is so great
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 pm

I started a thread about Phantom of the Paradise once.

Eyeball Kid

Postby Fr. Blanc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Book Club! Everything about this was amazing except for all of the dialogue. Great to watch these 4 though. And then they end on a montage with “More Than This” playing and I’m swept up in a pile.

Fr. Blanc

Postby groupb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:54 pm

pana wrote:
R C wrote:just saw Upgrade and goddamn, I haven't had this much fun at a movie in a long time. total midnight madness flick.

need to see this

i finally did. and it was fun

groupb

Postby Pris » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 pm

I've been watching a ton of movies this year, but I haven't always kept up with this thread. So, catching up with my 10 favorite movies I've seen in 2018.

Sign of the Cross (1932) - It's Charles Laughton as Emperor Nero. That's 10/10 already, but to add to it, this one is very pre-code, going overboard with cruelty and sex. I guess you could get away with A LOT of shit claiming a Christian message. Certainly NOT the kind of boring roman/bible movie they'd make later on.

Général Idi Amin Dada: Autoportrait (1974) - Idi Amin approved of all but two scenes in this documentary. Apparently he liked the rest where he comes off as a complete madman. And to get the two scenes he disliked deleted, he held all of the French in Uganda hostage and had them call and plead with the director. This one features the classic scene where Amin 'wins' a swimming competition.

L'assassin habite... au 21 (1942) - An early Clouzot whodunnit that's a lot of fun to watch... and to figure out. A great detective and some wonderfully colorful characters.

Le mystère Picasso (1956) - Another Clouzot, this one is mostly made up of Picasso drawing. All of the works were destroyed afterwards so they only appear in this movie. It's great watching the drawings take shape. They keep it interesting by playing with the formula throughout.

Truth or Dare?: A Critical Madness (1986) - This is a fantastic beer movie. While so many 80's slahsers and horrors are just coma-inducing, finally here's a shitshow that just delivers on the violence and madness. People get fucking killed!

The War Game (1965) - A short docudrama about a nuclear attack on England. Very dramatic and memorable. They're talking about people feeling apathic after a nuclear attack and one of the kids they interview about his future just says "I don't wanna be nuffing." RIYL Threads, The Day After.

Daïnah la métisse (1932) - Another short, but not by choice. It just got butchered. Still, there's mindblowing visuals to carry it. Also very far ahead of its time dealing with race. Loved this.

Experiment in Terror (1962) - It has a heated opening scene that the film can't completely deliver on, but it's good enough to reccomend. It looks like a million bucks and the villain is terrifying.

Blast of Silence (1961) - Another later noir, but most of all a classic in loner cinema. This has desperate cringe scenes like in Taxi Driver.

The Unknown (1927) - This Lon Chaney movie just blew my mind the entire running time. It's crazy and it gets crazier and crazier. It's about a guy who pretends he has no arms and it all reminded me of this scene in Crumb where Crumb is talking about a comic he couldn't finish because it was too fucked up.

Pris

Postby mini » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Pris wrote:I've been watching a ton of movies this year, but I haven't always kept up with this thread. So, catching up with my 10 favorite movies I've seen in 2018.

Sign of the Cross (1932) - It's Charles Laughton as Emperor Nero. That's 10/10 already, but to add to it, this one is very pre-code, going overboard with cruelty and sex. I guess you could get away with A LOT of shit claiming a Christian message. Certainly NOT the kind of boring roman/bible movie they'd make later on.

Général Idi Amin Dada: Autoportrait (1974) - Idi Amin approved of all but two scenes in this documentary. Apparently he liked the rest where he comes off as a complete madman. And to get the two scenes he disliked deleted, he held all of the French in Uganda hostage and had them call and plead with the director. This one features the classic scene where Amin 'wins' a swimming competition.

L'assassin habite... au 21 (1942) - An early Clouzot whodunnit that's a lot of fun to watch... and to figure out. A great detective and some wonderfully colorful characters.

Le mystère Picasso (1956) - Another Clouzot, this one is mostly made up of Picasso drawing. All of the works were destroyed afterwards so they only appear in this movie. It's great watching the drawings take shape. They keep it interesting by playing with the formula throughout.

Truth or Dare?: A Critical Madness (1986) - This is a fantastic beer movie. While so many 80's slahsers and horrors are just coma-inducing, finally here's a shitshow that just delivers on the violence and madness. People get fucking killed!

The War Game (1965) - A short docudrama about a nuclear attack on England. Very dramatic and memorable. They're talking about people feeling apathic after a nuclear attack and one of the kids they interview about his future just says "I don't wanna be nuffing." RIYL Threads, The Day After.

Daïnah la métisse (1932) - Another short, but not by choice. It just got butchered. Still, there's mindblowing visuals to carry it. Also very far ahead of its time dealing with race. Loved this.

Experiment in Terror (1962) - It has a heated opening scene that the film can't completely deliver on, but it's good enough to reccomend. It looks like a million bucks and the villain is terrifying.

Blast of Silence (1961) - Another later noir, but most of all a classic in loner cinema. This has desperate cringe scenes like in Taxi Driver.

The Unknown (1927) - This Lon Chaney movie just blew my mind the entire running time. It's crazy and it gets crazier and crazier. It's about a guy who pretends he has no arms and it all reminded me of this scene in Crumb where Crumb is talking about a comic he couldn't finish because it was too fucked up.

awesome post. had not heard of most of these.

mini

Postby aububs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Pris wrote:Truth or Dare?: A Critical Madness (1986) - This is a fantastic beer movie. While so many 80's slahsers and horrors are just coma-inducing, finally here's a shitshow that just delivers on the violence and madness. People get fucking killed!

there's a lot of competition but this is maybe my favourite sov horror
astonishing vigils

aububs

Postby mellowgold » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Franco wrote:Image

Book Club! Everything about this was amazing except for all of the dialogue. Great to watch these 4 though. And then they end on a montage with “More Than This” playing and I’m swept up in a pile.

did u love andy garcia??
wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.

mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Pris » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:25 pm

aububs wrote:
Pris wrote:Truth or Dare?: A Critical Madness (1986) - This is a fantastic beer movie. While so many 80's slahsers and horrors are just coma-inducing, finally here's a shitshow that just delivers on the violence and madness. People get fucking killed!

there's a lot of competition but this is maybe my favourite sov horror

I love watching SOV horror because there's no rules. It's wish fulfillment made by horror fans who know what horror fans want to see. And I can get past the shitty production values and non-acting very quickly.

One of my favorites is Las Vegas Bloodbath. It would be my favorite of all, but I can't forgive spending 40(!) minutes of filler with some pyjama party. But it's a 10/10 classic just based on individual scenes.

Pris

Postby Pris » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:30 pm

mini wrote:awesome post. had not heard of most of these.

Thanks! If you're looking for any of these, the best place to start is Hawkmenblues or Arsenevich.

Pris

Postby landspeedrecord » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:34 pm

sick post, pris

you’ve given me some cool stuff to watch. cheers!
rather be an idiot than a sheeple

landspeedrecord

Postby Fr. Blanc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45 pm

mellowgold wrote:
Franco wrote:Image

did u love andy garcia??

Flawless Garcia. Disappointed to see that he has no other rom coms upcoming

Fr. Blanc

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley