warhammer artwork

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby ahungbunny » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:44 pm

john blanche is incredible, his work for warhammer fantasy roleplay is amazing

this, this, is a world i want to do shit in. i looked for a way to get large prints a while ago but only found UK links. it's even hard to find the originals online, without the typography

also badvibes that table is fuckin' killer

ahungbunny

Postby creamline bling » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:06 am

Man it’s gotta get real itchy under that space marine armor. I assume that’s why they always look so mad in the artwork.

Does anyone have the 1st ed space marine codex? It’s got a full page diagram of every single implant and then a key with full descriptions of what the implant does, when it’s implanted, the history, all of it. I need to see that again.
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

creamline bling

Postby creamline bling » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:20 pm

golden demon 2019 for fantasy is happening in march, general golden demon in may.

was looking through last years winners, here's one I thought was cool. it's in the youngbloods category so the artist is under 16 years old.

also

dusky wrote:starting an after school group for figure painting and tabletop gaming with a handful of really rad kids. i'm as excited as they are to paint, play and nerd out to some 40k, fantasy battle, etc. stoked as hell to get out all my old armies and loan them out for battle once again.

this is super cool dusky!
hideout wrote:i think the problem is that the founding fathers were all really hot, so protections for hot people are ingrained in the constitution

creamline bling

Postby dr. badvibes » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:00 pm

yeah that's really cool. what game are you intending to teach first?

dr. badvibes

Postby dusky » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:15 pm

we're going to just do some 500 pt 40k skirmishes to get down the basics. learn how to gear up + utilize terrain, etc. some of them are playing units/armies that are only in 8th ed. so we'll be using that.

still have yet to play Necromunda(!) or Kill Team. but i'm not really trying to spend much more $$ than I already have. open to any suggestions, particularly less expensive non-GW games.

they seem to be really excited by the artistic aspect as well, so painting technique will be an emphasis, too. i'm actually really impressed by their skills with the paintbrush. much better than I was.
Last edited by dusky on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dusky

Postby virile » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:17 pm

necromunda you can do super cheap you just need one gang and you could super easily build your own urban terrain. it was my only option when i was a kid because my parents had no interest in spending money on this stuff so i saved up and got a goliath gang (8 figs) for like 25 bucks.
mercenaries of slime wrote:or i can just post what i want

virile

Postby dusky » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:21 pm

wow. so buying the $125 box from GW is not a req to play? that's cool to hear. $25 budget would definitely make their parents pretty happy as well.

dusky

Postby Merciel » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:22 pm

post so I can follow the thread

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby virile » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:24 pm

caveat: this was like 1996 i don't even know if you can just buy like single gangs anymore or whatever

virile

Postby dusky » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 pm

one of the kids said his uncle can 3d print terrain models. i'll have to try and follow up on that lead and see about printing us some Necromunda tiles.

dusky

Postby creamline bling » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:27 pm

dusky wrote:one of the kids said his uncle can 3d print terrain models. i'll have to try and follow up on that lead and see about printing us some Necromunda tiles.

3D printing terrain models is a freakin excellent idea. Just pick up a big bag of flock from a big box art store and you are set.

Also generally the way to get a lot of great models for incredibly cheap is eBay because people sell off their entire collections for next to nothing.

creamline bling

Postby virile » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:28 pm

website looks like gangs are $50 now for 10 figs. and if someone is hooking you up with terrain really you just need those and some dice and a tape measure and you're gold.

virile

Postby dusky » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:38 pm

looks like i have pretty much everything short of a pdf rulebook for Kill Team. anyone have any experience with that game?

dusky

Postby dr. badvibes » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm

i was going to recommend Kill Team

it's very deliberately designed as an entry level path into 40K: it uses the same unit statistic blocks as full-size 40K, has roughly identical smaller-scale gameplay, and features identical gear options for models, meaning that all your models will be legal and compatible in both games (well, your infantry models, since there are no monsters/vehicles in KT).

^that last feature could end up being important -- a few years ago GW started becoming extremely strict about limiting gear and upgrades to what was available in model form. they started purging units from rulebooks if they didn't have a model kit released, and started eliminating equipment options for anything that didn't have that EXACT component available in the kit.

Necromunda is pretty much the last holdout game where you have total freedom to equip your models however you like, although if you're playing according to the commonly accepted WYSIWYG standard you would have to customize your own miniatures to represent those non-kit options. so for example, in Necromunda a good melee equipment set for a model would be a Bolt Pistol and a Chainsword, but the Goliath gang kit doesn't have either of those weapons on the sprue, so if you wanted to prefectly-legally-represent that combination of gear you'd have to acquire a Bolt Pistol bit and a Chainsword bit from other kits, cut off the weapons from a set of Goliath arms, and attach the new ones. that model's loadout would then be illegal in 40K, because it wasn't one of the plug and play options from the basic kit.

of course, you can do away with all those concerns if you let people proxy models as whatever they want. that's totally fine, but you should make sure to explain what's happening or the kids might think they can walk into a hobby shop or Games Workshop to play a game and do the same thing, and trying to do that would have varying degrees of success depending on local details

Necromunda rules are also quite dissimilar from 40K nowadays (players alternate activating models instead of doing their whole team at once, models have different statlines than 40K and an action economy instead of just move, shoot, assault every turn, there way more in-depth morale rules, etc.) It's a way better designed/more fun game than 40K but is more complex, and has almost no crossover anymore

the other thing about Kill Team is that it's played on a very small surface, something like 30"x20", and doesn't really have much interaction with or dependence on/requirement for terrain

Necromunda needs a 4'x4' minimum board and stupidly thick terrain coverage to work properly

full-size 40K usually happens on 4'x6' board (but 4'x4' will work for games under ~1250 points). it requires less terrain than it did in previous editions to work properly, but nowadays you need at least a couple BIG pieces to sit in the middle of the board and block line of sight, otherwise people will just sit in their deployment zones and shoot powerful artilleries at each other

dr. badvibes

Postby dr. badvibes » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:28 pm

you should be able to pirate any rulebooks you need here: https:// mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A

not sure if people torrent warhammer stuff these days. when i need to steal i book i find the 40K thread in the /tg section of 4chan and the first post always has links (which is where the above came from)

dr. badvibes

Postby dusky » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm

thanks so much, bv. i just watched a 'how to play' vid by gw on kill team and it looks perfect for about what i had in mind as an intro into 40k tabletop. good point about explaining game shop rules vs. at home game leniency. it was such a pain to try and repaint/reconstruct some of my early figures for real games.

also tyvm for the rulebook link!

dusky

Postby dusky » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:06 pm

it's taking me a lot of willpower to resist going
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... 21_SOB.pdf
and getting a new unit of sisters. so cool they got a new codex finally!

dusky

Postby creamline bling » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:23 pm

one of my favorite visual motifs in 40k is the power armor with the scripture attached with wax seals. I wonder what the inspiration for that was.

creamline bling

Postby creamline bling » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 pm

My brother and I played 40k and fantasy from the ages of 12 - 19 or so. After that we still loved the art but moving away hard to carry your armies with you and all that.

Just over a decade later, this last Sunday, I fulfilled a childhood dream of mine and visited WarhammerWorld - the Games Workshop HQ in Nottingham, England.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, but holy shit I wasn’t expecting this. Basically legoland but for warhammer people. I thought it would be a lot more retail focussed. It wasn’t. It was a massive room with tables to play on full of maybe 30 people doing a tournament and then three huge exhibition areas filled with lush dioramas. It was really art focussed. It was unbelievably fucking magical.

Dusky said there might be some interest in photos, so I put together this thing for my fellow warhammer art lovers. Please forgive the photography, it’s not my expertise and I wasn’t sure of the correct way to take photos of stuff in glass cases with a phone. Did my best to try and capture the feeling.

This first group of photos are the process photos. Basically, there are now five full time people that plan, assemble and paint the dioramas - usually just scenes in their own head, but sometimes in collaboration with the design team to coincide with a new release. You’ll recognise some of the scenes whose photos were used in the old rulebooks. Also included are some of the historical sets/rulebooks they had on display.

Ok now for the ART. A quick note: some of these dioramas were the size of shoebox (the older ones). Most were at least, 4’ x 4’ x 4’. The level of detail is absolutely astonishing. Just scenes within scenes within scenes.

It’s an interesting loop - the game inspired the artists who illustrated the rulebooks, and then these set designers in turn were inspired by the illustrators - you can see (indeed in one case explicitly), the diorama makers wanted to directly translate a warhammer painting into a tabletop battle.

What’s so cool about the work these guys do though, is that there is another angle the illustrators can’t capture - the three dimention-ality. You can tell the creators thought about what story their scene would tell if you looked at from below, from above, through the tunnels, under the bridges - not just isometrically like an RTS game. I photographs maybe 35% or so of what was one display.

This last group of photos are just some of the people, the exterior of the building, the vibes. The empty battle tables are the ones you can rent to play on (I think some are free most days) Oh, and the fedoras. True to stereotype, many, many people had fedoras. Everyone was super nice and great.

creamline bling

Postby dusky » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:50 am

:ryan: that’s awesome!

dusky

Postby all day breakfast » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 am

man some of those tabletops are so good, by far my favourite aspect of warhammer was the possibilities of scenery building

all day breakfast

Postby Merciel » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 am

That is sick as hell, thanks so much for posting it.

I just finished doing my first WH story (final post-edit submission going in today!) and just looking at these pictures is so inspiring and fun, it's like: yesssss playing in this world is awesome.

I love fantasy art. And you're right, seeing it in 3D is even better.

Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Dead_Wizard » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Those dioramas are unbelievable. Stoked on the Epic 40k one. Are Epic and Battlefleet Gothic still supported?

Dead_Wizard

Postby Bartatua » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:01 pm

wow do i ever want to go there now
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby dr. badvibes » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:05 pm

a pretty cool fanmade short film thing concluded last week (that has way more attention to detail and nuance than any official Warhammer media product has had, ever)

it's a little awkward to watch across five videos, and i wish he'd released a supercut, but here:

dr. badvibes

Postby ahungbunny » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:14 pm

i never saw that gw headquarters post, that's sick as all hell

timely bump, as i just got this in the mail with flexi present

for the purest form of warhammer insanity, i fully recommend the original two realms of chaos releases from 1988. like some very talented people took acid in hell and were asked to illustrate it

i couldn't find a decent pdf online so i scanned these myself, and they're all from the first 50 pages of the first 300 page book

for a short time gw was the coolest company on the planet

ahungbunny

Postby dusky » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:58 pm

i love when this thread gets bumped

dusky

Postby Zardoz » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:52 am

hungbunny one of the artist is Ian Miller, he's a nice guy

Zardoz

Postby dusky » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:35 pm

feeling a little excited about this one

I know I shouldn’t get my hopes to high tho

dusky

Postby garbiel » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:57 pm

slaves to darkness was so sick
Low Tier God wrote:it's impossible to be a leftist as an american. maoist third worldism is the only way.

garbiel

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley